I watchin this video ( http://youtu.be/Z1ZRpp8NCd4 ) of a guy soloing over the new staind single for some contest. It sounded awesome so I asked him what he used to solo, and he said C# Dorian (i think you can see the comment up top). That kind of confuses me, since I assume the song is D or Db minor, so my question is, how could he solo in C# Dorian over that and still have it sound so awesome?
Thanks
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Its a mode. According to Wiki its similar to a natural minor scale, so it should work.
And Db minor and C# minor are the same.

This. Dorian has a minor feel to it and therefore works nicely in place of Db or C# aeolian/natural minor. I think the thing you confused yourself most with is forgetting that Db is equivalent to C#.

Quote by Zeppelin Addict
This. Dorian has a minor feel to it and therefore works nicely in place of Db or C# aeolian/natural minor. I think the thing you confused yourself most with is forgetting that Db is equivalent to C#.

Oh, I did pick up on the whole enharmonic thing that they were the same, but I didn't know you could substitute Dorian for Aeolian like that.
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by ampoverload
while your at it guys, anyone know what scale/mode/etc this one is in.

this is my fav so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqtPZCo5p3g

Looks like straight up Db Natural Minor imo. If you wanna know for sure, drop him a comment he'll probably answer.
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Whats the difference between a regular minor and natural minor?

Well Natural Minor is "regular minor". There are 3 minor scales, Natural, Harmonic, and Melodic. Natural is your straight up minor scale (1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7). Then Harmonic is going to be essentially the same thing with that b7 as just a regular 7. Melodic minor has the 6th natural as well as the 7th with the 3rd still flatted.
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by Keth
What the-

Don't get modes in to this.

PLEASE

It all depends on the backing track. If the backing track is Db minor, they are all using Db minor scales with possible accidentals to flavor it up. Simple. When he says that he uses C# Dorian, it's just another way of saying that he's using Db minor with a major sixth interval as an accidental.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
^This.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Quote by Flibo

It all depends on the backing track. If the backing track is Db minor, they are all using Db minor scales with possible accidentals to flavor it up. Simple. When he says that he uses C# Dorian, it's just another way of saying that he's using Db minor with a major sixth interval as an accidental.

Indeed.

That "it's a mode!" comment came so fast, out of nowhere. There must be a school of people who believe fast and awesome equals a mode. Anyways the guy in the video has obviously pre-planned out his solo, and combines slow bends and flashy runs with emphasising chord tones, all within the world of the minor scale with accidentals. It's all about how you use the notes, not what you call them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Indeed.

That "it's a mode!" comment came so fast, out of nowhere. There must be a school of people who believe fast and awesome equals a mode. Anyways the guy in the video has obviously pre-planned out his solo, and combines slow bends and flashy runs with emphasising chord tones, all within the world of the minor scale with accidentals. It's all about how you use the notes, not what you call them.

BAM!!!
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by AlanHB
Indeed.

Actually the "it's a mode!" comment came out of the fact that the guy playing the solo told me personally that he was playing in a mode, C# Dorian. Nothing to do with me coming to any quick conclusions cause it's fast and awesome.
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Still, the regulars on here don't like people talking about modes, unless it is modal. Thats why I never post anything in any thread dealing with "modes."

But from what Ive learned from these regulars, its just a C# minor scale with accidentals, and modes aren't to be confused with scales.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
Actually the "it's a mode!" comment came out...

of Star Wars:

IT'S A MODE!

I can understand how you could be mislead by his comment. It's an incorrect understanding of modes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
He's playing the Dorian SCALE he isn't playing in the Dorian Mode. There's a difference in that the tonality of the piece isn't modal, it functions harmonically (it has cadences a.k.a a chord progression that resolves) - in this case it's minor.

You can get away with playing a Dorian scale over minor progressions because bar 1 note (the maj6th) it's the same as a regular minor scale. He is right in telling you he used Dorian but not to say he was playing in the mode.

Also. Star Wars is always relevant when it comes to modes.
Quote by AlanHB
of Star Wars:

IT'S A MODE!

I can understand how you could be mislead by his comment. It's an incorrect understanding of modes.

That's hilarious
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3