Hey everyone, I'm trying to get a specific tone, and I have no idea how to get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz0IVeh7w8k

^This is almost exactly the tone I want. I'm running my gear into a Peavey Valve King 100 Watt head, any chance a specific tube replacement could help me reach this? Any pedal suggestions?
Sorry, but your valveking 100 will never, ever, sound like that, ever, ever.

Only thing I can recommend to get closer is a nice speaker cabinet and a decent overdrive pedal. I believe they use ESP guitars and EVH 5150 III heads? The EVH 5150 III is an absolute beast.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by Mark G
Sorry, but your valveking 100 will never, ever, sound like that, ever, ever.

Only thing I can recommend to get closer is a nice speaker cabinet and a decent overdrive pedal. I believe they use ESP guitars and EVH 5150 III heads? The EVH 5150 III is an absolute beast.

It can sound like that, actually, the problem is it usually takes more effort than it's worth to get there.

Sell the VK and pick up a used Peavey XXX, since that's what seems to be used in the video.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Forget about what's in the video. Remember folks, this is studio magic. Everytime you hear something like this and wish you could have *that* tone, forget about it. The tone achieved in the studio is something the common guitar player can never achieve. You may get close, but you'll never get it exact. Remember, the studio employs all sorts of tricks to achieve that tone and you don't have the resources or the $$$ to duplicate it. Not trying to be elite, just trying to be real.

Edit: What they show in the video is not what they used in the studio. Even when these bands go out on tour, they're not using the same gear they used in the studio. I guarantee it. Oh, and they didn't use the audio created from recording that video. The audio was overdubbed during the edit process. That's not studio magic, that's Hollywood magic.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Aug 9, 2011,
^ True, but it does sound pretty XXX-y to me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Your not going to get that tone even with the same amp, make your own tone. I bet that they boost the amps with an overdrive pedal. Try a tube screamer
Last edited by maowcat at Aug 9, 2011,
KG6 has a good point about studio magic. it takes less distortion to sound like that thatn you think when recording. out of the studio not as easy.

i'd suggest using a digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. the pedal has a mod switch to up the gain. put the gain on the amp at about 3-4 and kick the pedal on with the gain turned up a ways (but not full up). tweak the eq on the pedal and your amp until you get close. keep in mind close is all you will get. what cab are you using and what guitar? oh and the leads are all heavy with fx so that would be a seperate issue.
One thing that they do in the studio is layer the guitars. You are hearing three or four different guitars played thru most likely more then one amp all eqed different to get that tone. One amp wont get that tone. Live they multi mic more then one amp to get the sound live. One guitar and one amp will not be able to reproduce that sound.
Quote by Syrnix
One thing that they do in the studio is layer the guitars. You are hearing three or four different guitars played thru most likely more then one amp all eqed different to get that tone. One amp wont get that tone. Live they multi mic more then one amp to get the sound live. One guitar and one amp will not be able to reproduce that sound.

unless it's someone like Pink Floyd many bands don't bother with the fancy micing etc. metal almost never does. i'm sure if you listen an undoctored live performance you'd find that the band only gets kinda close as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
what cab are you using and what guitar? oh and the leads are all heavy with fx so that would be a seperate issue.

I'm using an Ibanez Iceman ICT700 with Dmarzio D'activators, and the cab is the matching 412 Valve King cab. I'm thinking I'll check out the Triple X. What fx are being used on the lead, that you're hearing?
Last edited by Zan595 at Aug 10, 2011,