So I'm doing a home recording project but my distorted guitar sounds too harsh, and rolling back the gain just makes it sound, for want of a better word, lukewarm and I can't find the happy medium.

I also read somewhere that I should roll back the distortion level from what I normally use live as the overtones build up when double and quadtracking.

I guess it's more of a tone thing, i'm using a Mesa Boogie Vintage preamp.
But does anyone know a way around this or to get a good distorted guitar sound?

I'm going DI in this which may also be a major factor.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Make sure you've got the best tone you can out of your amp first of all. Could be
that your tone just isn't great to begin with.

Try moving the mic around the speaker, find the sweet spot. Keep it about and inch and a bit away from the grill to give it some breathing room. If you have the option of getting a friend to play while you move the mic and listen through headphones that helps a lot! I'm not 100% but I think I read theres more low end at the outside of the cone, so I guess start from there and work your way in or vice versa.

Finally it could be that your mics/preamps are maybe a little out of shape? In your case probably not, but you never know. If your preamp is also your interface maybe you need to use cab impulses?

I know absolutely nothing about these, but from what i've seen technicolortype and axemanchris seem to know their shit here.

Good luck Niiko!
Wait a minute, you're going:
Guitar --> Mesa Vintage Preamp and then DI into the computer? You're not using a power amp?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by GoIrish668
Wait a minute, you're going:
Guitar --> Mesa Vintage Preamp and then DI into the computer? You're not using a power amp?

I am, I was talking tone wise. Since it's a rack unit and what not.

But I'll take a delve into my tone, i'm not very good at distorted tones so that may be my problem
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
A preamp needs to be run through either a power amp and cab or an impulse loader. Keep your really harsh sounding signal, run it through a cap impulse, and be surprised...
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
^ That. Except it's a "cab" impulse.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!