Howdy folks

I have been practising the verse section of crazy train and have been having trouble with the picking (the little bits on the open A string between each triad). I have the rhythm down fine. My problem is that open up picks seem heavier than the down picks. It feels kind of like the pick is catching on the string.

I do not usually have this problem. I have also been practising things like the Power Slave gallop and its all fine, with my down picks and up picks feeling the same.

But this Crazy Trains sections different for some crazy reason.

Do you guys have any tips?

And don't you dare say play it slow and build up with a metronome. In fact I am banning you from saying it in this thread.

I am already playing it sloooooooooow.
Play it slower then? If you can't control your picking, you're going too fast
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Quote by engineno9

Finish reading the post
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by engineno9

I'll give you advice. How ever slow you play it, its not worth it if your technique is wrong.

By that ruling I could play the entire that with up picks at 40 bpm and it will eventually be perfect.

Play it slowly is not the answer to every thing.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Aug 9, 2011,
Use more of the tip if the pick if you can.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User

e  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B  --------------5----------------5----------------3----------------------------------------
G  --------------6----------------4----------------2----------------2------------2----------
D  --------------7----------------6----------------4----------------2------------2----------
A  0-----00----------000--------------000---------------000---------0------------0----------
E  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------3~------------
   m     mm          mmm              mmm               mmm                   m

e  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B  --------------5----------------5----------------3------------------------pp--------------
G  --------------6----------------4----------------2----------------2------420-----pp-------
D  --------------7----------------6----------------4----------------2-------------420-----pp
A  0-----00----------000--------------000---------------000---------0--------------------420
E  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   m     mm          mmm              mmm               mmm

Hopefully this formats properly.

Try choking up on the pic a bit. That helped me out when my upstrokes were getting sort of "stuck" on the string, so it might help you out a bit.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Last edited by DemonicTurtle66 at Aug 9, 2011,
I understand your problem.

You should play the notes on the open A really lightly, and palm mute the string at the same time. You don't need a really harsh attack here. Play really lightly on that string and then harsh on the chord. See if it helps.

The trick is to palm mute the string so it gives the string stability. The string will not vibrate so much and your pick should not be trapped by the motion of the string.
Last edited by symba05 at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by symba05
I understand your problem.

You should play the notes on the open A really lightly, and palm mute the string at the same time. You don't need a really harsh attack here. Play really lightly on that string and then harsh on the chord. See if it helps.

The trick is to palm mute the string so it gives the string stability. The string will not vibrate so much and your pick should not be trapped by the motion of the string.

Cheers, and cheers to every one else to.

Its strange that its only this riff that its affecting, but its highly likely it will effect similar riffs if I don't fix this now.