So I'm wondering if you can push a tube head hard enough just by itself (no boost) to where it damages itself. Here's why I ask:

I had an Orange Tiny Terror (7w/15w) and was using it running into an Orange 2x12PPC cab, and was rehearsing with my metalcore band in a room where I needed to crank the volume all the way up and gain almost all the way as well, to be heard over the other guitarist's 6505+. About an hour into rehearsal, my Tiny Terror started to cut in and out randomly, going completely silent for short intervals. (Did it at low volumes as well afterwards.) I know it wasn't my guitar/cable/cab or anything as I tested it all out by switching everything. Long story short I had the GC Pro Coverage so I took it back and got a new replacement Tiny Terror.

So, by cranking the TT all the way up, was it hurting itself? (I always let it warm up for about 5 minutes like Orange says to before playing) Can an amp be too powerful for its own good?

Just curious, haven't experienced any problems with the replacement TT I got, but also haven't pushed it that hard since either. Thanks for any input.
When you are running tube amps flat out, you are placing a greater strain on the vacuum tubes. If you are using the stock cheapo tubes that came with your amp (often poor-quality chinese tubes), there is a very good chance they will fail when placed under this stress. If you were having volume drops, your power tubes could very well be on the way out/knackered. If you are going to flog your amp that hard, get some good quality JAN tubes in there from way-back-when, they are far more durable than modern tubes, especially budget ones that amp manufacturers tend to throw in the low wattage 'cheaper' tube amps.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Aug 9, 2011,
I never thought it was good to push an amp that hard, for long periods of time, even though pushing a tube amp gives it "that" sound. Other may prove me wrong, because I don't really know a great deal about amps, but full gain and full volume for long periods of time seems like a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Also, why not get an amp with better headroom and suitability for metalcore?
Thanks for the input guys, I'll check into some new tubes for the TT perhaps.

And I've got a JVM210 for gigging, its just nice to only have to carry in a tiny head and 2x12 for rehearsals.
heard that.

check out JJ's, i really like their EL84's.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I wouldn't worry about ruining a Tiny Terror.

It can't get much worse than it already is.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
damn people hate those things. i used mine for about 2 years... it was great for what it was and where i was at. it was also before the affordable 'lunchbox' amp explosion.

i got tired of no headroom after a while, but it was the first amp i owned that i could actually drive into feedback and that has influenced me ever since.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I wouldn't worry about ruining a Tiny Terror.

It can't get much worse than it already is.

Hah, I actually really enjoy my TT. It's got good cleans (though not enough headroom like stated) and the crunch is fantastic. I would never run it as my main amp, but for a head that only cost around $600 it does what I want it to.
Running it harder will wear things out faster (tubes, speakers, etc) but it won't cause a catastrophic failure just by the act of doing it unless there is a manufacturing fault. Really, it will just mean that you will be going through power tubes a bit faster but EL84's are pretty cheap. It sounds like yours is due for some new ones now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i well built and designed amp should not have a problem with being run full bore.

I play with my amp up to maximum pretty often and i am yet to have any problems.
Last edited by joe_k at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Running it harder will wear things out faster (tubes, speakers, etc) but it won't cause a catastrophic failure just by the act of doing it unless there is a manufacturing fault. Really, it will just mean that you will be going through power tubes a bit faster but EL84's are pretty cheap. It sounds like yours is due for some new ones now.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?