Is it a requirement? is a little sadness perhaps a good thing?

Not that I'm sad or anything haha, I'm just wondering if we need it.
This will start a RIOT! in me
I'd rather I didn't feel it.

Do we need it? Yes.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Not if your a sociopath.

Then it is only necessary to feel other people's sadness.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Well… if you never felt sadness you couldnt enjoy happiness to the fullest. So sadness is needed I guess.
You Gonna Bark All Day Little Doggie Or You Gonna Bite?
Gear: Ibanez aeg20e Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Old Fender Squire Strat
Marshall MG100HFX and Half Stack
Budget: 00
If we didn't know what sadness was, how could we ever appreciate being happy?

Like my good friend Tom once said;

"There is no heaven, without a hell"
My username is a Misnomer.

Im not into the whole drug scene....

I just think Fire is Boss.

Yes

It doesn't seem to me that emotions are felt in absolutes. More in "shades and percentages.," Without comparison there is no meaning.

That doesn't mean it doesn't suck though
Quote by ShadesOfNight
You'd be pretty lost when someone died and all you could feel was happy

Actually there is more than just happy and sad. Human emotions aren't as black and white as that.

And sadness at a death is mostly a selfish emotion anyway when you think about it.
Yes, I think it's actually healthy to go as far as a good cry every once in a while as a form of catharsis.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Grimnak27
No, emotions only serve to get in the way.

In the way of what?
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Casketcreep
Actually there is more than just happy and sad. Human emotions aren't as black and white as that.

And sadness at a death is mostly a selfish emotion anyway when you think about it.

It's also a love emotion though too because of your love for the person that died and your sad because of that.
Sadness gives you the incentive to strive towards happiness.

Or wallow in a pit of sadness.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by caleb08
It's also a love emotion though too because of your love for the person that died and you're sad because of that.

But again that's a selfish emotion, you can't really feel sad that someone has died, you only feel sad that they are no longer in your life. Death doesn't hold any pain or suffering for people.

Of course there would obviously be exceptions, like someone dying very young. Then I guess you could be sad because they missed out on all the experiences of life.

Or I suppose if you thought someone was burning in hell or something like that.
Art would be nothing without depression.

Which isn't to say there is no art made in happiness or happy, bright works. I just think a lot of great, inspiring stuff comes from people when they wrote in fits of anger or sadness.
Last edited by blake1221 at Aug 9, 2011,
Sadness feels good in it's own way too. As do all emotions really, if you get them in the right dose.