Hey!

I can write both thrash metal and melodic death metal, but it sounds generic!

When I write Melodic death I use a lot of harmonized 3rds which is in my opinion the definition of Swedish Melodic death, and I also throw in fast single string picking to make it more death or black metali-sh but it sound too generic!

When I write Thrash Metal I play fast and angry, but with the generic characteristics of palm muting and power chords, and throw in fast single string picking to make it more death or black metali-sh here too, but it's been done before.

So my question is: Can you maybe give me some pointers to something new I can throw in?

Thanks!
Fifths maybe, for the melodic death. And maybe some chromatics.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
Fifths maybe, for the melodic death. And maybe some chromatics.

Ok, I'll try some of that!

Other things are also welcome! I thought about mixing more genres into it, but it seems to be done already, at least for thrash metal O.o
Certainly for thrash, Chromatics and Diminished Fifths. A lot of thrash bands use galloping, but I love bands like Gama Bomb that prefer fast tremolo picking instead. For some slightly slower thrash, bands like Evile will often get a distinct rhythm to their riffs, which make it flow very well. It's worth considering, when you write. Hope this helps
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
It pretty much is the same, all the major bands are hard to distinguish and sometimes I can't tell them apart. The main thing is a great thrash song starts out with a very unique intro. Master of Puppets/ Battery/ Blackened/ Thrasher/ Down From the Sky, ect, and then build off that. If you can write a good intro, the rest shouldn't be that hard.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
The most important thing is riffs that really groove and are catchy as hell
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Use an acoustic guitar for part of a song.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I had this problem a long time ago. Adding chromatics helped, but the main problem was not having enough experience.

That generic sound you hear is the thing that happens when you get used to playing the same stuff and listening to the same stuff.

I'm not telling you to listen to other genres or whatever, listen to what you want, but pushing a certain style into new territory requires more effort than what you may be used to.

The fact that you noticed is a good thing.

Anyway, I don't know what you're trying to do with ur music, but for me, it helped to not ignore anything that sounds weird. Eventually weird things will sound good.
Quote by British_Steal
The most important thing is riffs that really groove and are catchy as hell

I agree.

Techniques and tricks are fine, but they are the reason things sound generic!

Come up with a killer riff, a great solo, good lyrics. Thrash metal is still music. It's still songs. It's not a special case of music, and it's not a bunch of flashy tricks paraded one after the other.
the definition of insanity is doing the same thing the same way every time and expecting different results.
When writing harmonies, don't restrict yourself to only one particular interval. Changing it up will make it sound fresh. Go from a third to a sixth, or a fifth to a fourth - those are good combinations, but experiment A LOT and find something that sounds cool.