Not sure exactly what you mean, what aspect of this playing are you trying to nail?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
He's just palm muting the majority of his strums. Takes a lot of practice to get it to sound like that, from my experience.
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Frontman 212R
Digitech RP90.
Unknown brand of my bass.
Quote by Phoenyx
He's just palm muting the majority of his strums. Takes a lot of practice to get it to sound like that, from my experience.

It isn't palm muting as much as it is raking. If he was palm muting, he would have his right hand on the strings near the bridge. To do what he's doing, you have to play the chord, then lift your frietting hand so you're covering the strings, but not playing any notes. It'll take practice, but with a little time you should be able to get the rhythm down.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
This is pretty easy, although it'll take some practice to make it natural.

But all you have to do is to relax your left hand. If you look at his left hand in the video you can see when his left hand is relaxed by looking at his pinky. The way he plays, when he's actually trying to hold the notes down tightly, his pinky pulls back closer to his palm.

This gets trickier on chords with open strings, but it's a pretty straightforward technique. Literally: hit a bar chord ... and then relax your hand. It's that simple. Don't worry about lifting or pulling or anything like that. Just let it relax.
look for funk lessons on youtube, they explain it further too
Quote by GandalfWh1te
^ what he said. muting the strings with the fretting hand.
Funk guitar 101

That's it
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Check his left hand. You see he lifts a little bit the pressure when he wants to "mute" the sound.
(check the pinky to see easier what I'm talking about)
Muting, by deffinition, is made to "mute", lesser the sound.

Here you don't want to "lesser" the sound, but rather use the string as "percussion". it's not hard, you just have to lift from the frets but still keep the strings "not open" nor playing harmonics. just lift the left hand without letting go of the strings, that's all
Quote by t1mman

Here you don't want to "lesser" the sound, but rather use the string as "percussion". it's not hard, you just have to lift from the frets but still keep the strings "not open" nor playing harmonics. just lift the left hand without letting go of the strings, that's all

No, his fret hand lifting off like that is pretty important as well, it keeps the actual chords very staccato in addition to letting him do the muted strumming.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by t1mman

Except that's not what he's doing - except on the count-in.

On the count-in he's muting all the strings with his left hand (although a slight amount of tonality still slips through because of the position of his hand).

But for the vast majority of the song, he's playing the chord itself for a fraction of a second, and then muting it.