My girlfriend gave me a guitar a while back. She said it belonged to her grandfather, so I'm guessing it's pretty old. It's kind of a ridiculous guitar. It's insanely light, the neck feels like it's made of plywood and I'm almost sure the inlays are painted on. Also, even though it only has one pickup, it has this switch near the volume/tone knobs. I have no clue what it does.
However, despite all of this I kind of love it. It's so vintage and goofy, I could never hate it. And the tone is so off it's kind of nice, you know? Like very grungy.

Anyways, I know nothing about Airline guitars and was wondering if someone could shed some knowledge about these guitars for me. I'm mostly curious about the mystery switch.
(I'd post a picture if I could but I have no idea how to from my iPod)

Thanks in advance fellow musicians.
Last edited by robertsanidiot at Aug 9, 2011,
What kind of pickup is it?

it could be some kind of splitter/coil tap or EQ curve, not sure if that existed that long about but its just a suggestion haha
is it this?

Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
is it this?

No, it's body is most closely related to that of a fender jaguar. It's red with a white pickgaurd and it's made in the USA!
Quote by mr7string
What kind of pickup is it?

it could be some kind of splitter/coil tap or EQ curve, not sure if that existed that long about but its just a suggestion haha

It's some kind of single coil. So I guess coil tap is out of the question. Unless they make one that goes from single coil to humbucker. XP
If the guitar is that light it is probably one of the rare and very desirable fiberglass body guitars. SCORE!
Quote by robertsanidiot
No, it's body is most closely related to that of a fender jaguar. It's red with a white pickgaurd and it's made in the USA!

Ah! You should have said so. It's probably an Airline 7250 Bobkat.

In that case, the switch is a tone bypass. In the "Down" position it bypasses the tone control.

EDIT: Excuse me, this is the more appropriate photo:

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Ah! You should have said so. It's probably an Airline 7250 Bobkat.

In that case, the switch is a tone bypass. In the "Down" position it bypasses the tone control.

EDIT: Excuse me, this is the more appropriate photo:

Oh my god that's the one!
Quote by robertsanidiot
Any idea how much the thing is worth? Not that I would ever sell it, just curious

How much it is worth? Next to nothing.
How much you could get for it? Probably $300, these guitars are often purchased by people who began playing on one in the 60's and 70's at a huge markup because the guitars have a great deal of sentimental value attached to them.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi