Hey UG, just changed the strings on my LTD, stretched them properly and retuned maybe 8 or 9 times untill it was stable....and i noticed that when i paly the open B chord on the bottom 3 strings, (btw 13-56 guage) it sound way out of tune. but if i play a fretted chord it sounds perfect. checked the intonation and its spot on. any ideas guys?oh and the trem is blocked so the strings aren't like pulling it up or anything like that.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It's prolly not tuned right still. Get ever string but the low B tuned up, and then strike an open power chord, and tune the B by ear until it sounds right...I have to do this will all Drop D style tunings, tuning it to a correct D seems to always be out of tune.
^That's actually a good point. A few tuners tend to get retarded as you go down in frequency. What kind of tuner are you using?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's prolly not tuned right still. Get ever string but the low B tuned up, and then strike an open power chord, and tune the B by ear until it sounds right...I have to do this will all Drop D style tunings, tuning it to a correct D seems to always be out of tune.

hmm i guess. it was in Drop C before with 10's and it was always fine. i also did try it by ear matching the 5th harmonic on the low b to the 5th harmonic on the high b (4th string) and nada....maybe its still stretching and whatnot
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Offworld92
^That's actually a good point. A few tuners tend to get retarded as you go down in frequency. What kind of tuner are you using?

its a built in tuner to my zoom g2.1u. pretty nice and responsive tuner really. i also have a korg tuner but that is at a buddy's house
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
hmm i guess. it was in Drop C before with 10's and it was always fine. i also did try it by ear matching the 5th harmonic on the low b to the 5th harmonic on the high b (4th string) and nada....maybe its still stretching and whatnot

No no, match the B and whatever the A string would be in Drop B( I forget), don't match them to pitch, but match them until they sound like it should, until it sounds smooth.

You know if you are in E standard, and you want to quickly tune to drop D without a tuner, you just strike the E and A, and tune the low E until its in drop D? Same thing here, do that, and it'll work, I promise.
Quote by ethan_hanus
No no, match the B and whatever the A string would be in Drop B( I forget), don't match them to pitch, but match them until they sound like it should, until it sounds smooth.

You know if you are in E standard, and you want to quickly tune to drop D without a tuner, you just strike the E and A, and tune the low E until its in drop D? Same thing here, do that, and it'll work, I promise.

i usualy hit the E and the D and match them ill still give it a shot though, will update shortly
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED