I put new pots in my MIM strat, and changed the bridge pickup to SD SSL 5. Here is the hum report for the 5 way switch.

Position 5 (neck): slight hum
Position 4: no hum
Position 3: same hum
Position 2: same hum
Position 1: hum, but a little different sounding

so my question is, why am I not getting humbucking in position 2?

P.S. I have SD antiquity neck and middle, all vintage cloth wiring, and i have a shielded cavity and pick guard with the ground loops removed.
Are you sure you have them wired the right way around? Reverse the connection on the bridge pickup, see if it makes a difference.

Also, in position 2, tap the middle and bridge pickup poles with a screwdriver to make sure they're both on.

Hum cancelling is caused by reverse winding and reverse polarity. If swapping the connections on the bridge pickup doesn't help, it may be that your bridge and middle pickups have either the same winding direction or the same polarity. Check on the manufacturer's website.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 10, 2011,
To me, it sounds like the polarity is messed up. The reverse wound pickup might be in the neck rather than the middle or you wired the middle to the neck position on the switch. You should take a picture of the wiring so someone can see what the problem is.
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but since there's 3 coils active in the 2nd position only 2 of them would be canceling each others frequency. That still leaves a 3rd coil open to 60-cycle hum.

EDIT: Realized after my 2nd post this was an S-S-S Strat, not an H-S-S like I was thinking for no apparent reason
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 11, 2011,
I think you're wrong flux. The way i always thought of it was that 2nd pos. is the neck and mid pup, then 3rd is mid and 4th is mid and bridge pup.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
^TS stated that 5th position was the neck, so it's backwards to your list. So if the selector switch is in 2nd position (mid and bridge) there would be 3 coils active.

1 Humbucker (2 coils in series)
1 Single Coil (self explanatory)

It would make sense that two of the coils would cancel each other, then leaving a single coil without opposition to transmit the 60-cycle hum. I could be wrong on that though.

EDIT: I just realized the Strat in this thread is a regular S-S-S, for some reason I was thinking it was an H-S-S Strat. I completely goofed on this one

EDITx2: Try reversing the leads on the bridge pickup, it sounds like you have it wired backwards.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 11, 2011,