Page 1 of 2
probably my only guitar center experience....and the only one i need to not go back...

So i go into that little soundproof room with all the >$1000 guitars and see a silverburst LP (tool tool tool tool). i plug into a JVM 410H into a mesa boogie cab.

So im on the crunch channel and im jamming along when the dude, oh that dude, walked in. he comes in saying "damn that thing has some gain, how far can the gain go?" my response?

"yea i dont like playing with to much gain when im on the crunch channel, if i need more gain ill attack harder" (was playing soft with the volume rolled back a bit and just doing a bit of classic rock)

The Dude: " Lets see if this thing can do metal zomg?!?!?" proceeds to dime out the bass and treb and cutting mids to almost all the way down, and cranks the gain to max. it was probably the worst thing i had ever hear...i stopped playing, put the guitar back on the stand, and proceeded to walk out not making contact with anyone....i even gave the pick back
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
hahaha, i think no matter where you go ur always gonna run into ppl like that. and in all honesty, the best way I've found to deal with it is to be a total dick about it. just be that guy that looks pissed off at the world and ready to pick a fight with the first guy that talks to u. works most of the time, haha

i tend to be pretty self conscious about my playing when I'm somewhere like that so i either bring a friend with me to jam with or just try and seclude myself somewhere. ppl like that have been the ones that have kept me from ever plugging into a nice stack lined up on the wall. i always end up on a marshall mg series of fender something or other
why not just be a man and tell him you prefer to do things your way?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Weaponxclaws
Simple solution: guitar duel

TO THE DEATH

i already won
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
'Uh, no thanks.'

That usually seems to work.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

I went in to get a strap for my sister and a couple sets of strings. As i walk in, all I hear is two kids, probably 13-15, that have drop-tuned guitars, turned the amps up as loud as they could, and played palm-muted 16ths on the low e. They couldn't play for shit. The worst part is, they thought they were badass, and none of the workers said anything. It hurt, and I hate going back there. Lesson is, don't EVER go on the weekend.
It's not specific to Guitar Center. "That Dude" is everywhere. I don't think it's specific to metal either, there's just always someone who can't let someone else do something without trying to put their stamp on it.

The worst is when the salesmen hover. I know it's their job and their paid commission, but looming isn't going to help encourage me to spend my cash. I usually just put the guitar down, look at them, and say "You just lost a sale by hovering over my shoulder." before I head out.

<---- Not an asshole. I just value my space, and someone being right up in it puts me on edge in zero seconds.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
It's not specific to Guitar Center. "That Dude" is everywhere. I don't think it's specific to metal either, there's just always someone who can't let someone else do something without trying to put their stamp on it.

The worst is when the salesmen hover. I know it's their job and their paid commission, but looming isn't going to help encourage me to spend my cash. I usually just put the guitar down, look at them, and say "You just lost a sale by hovering over my shoulder." before I head out.

<---- Not an asshole. I just value my space, and someone being right up in it puts me on edge in zero seconds.

I have that same problem
i have stopped going, all i hear is the same dam metallica songs, or the endless dropped tuned chug chug chug, and the "That Guy" and they dont have anything good in stock just a bunch of crappy solid state amps, and they dont even have good guitar selection. smh but i need new strings. ima get me a guitar tech so he can go for the stuff i need
that's almost as bad as the emo kids that come in and play all the best stuff with no intention of buying.

now THAT'S annoying.

o_0
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Theres only two guitar center employees that have ever been good to me. Theres one that I know that will only talk to you if you ask them for help, then he will give you great advice instead of trying to sell you a line 6.

Then at a different one theres this one girl that doesnt try to sell you anything, she just answers questions about gear and reccomends $2000+ Dr.z amps.

One time I went to try out a wah and the guy plugged it in, and spent like 15minutes playing with the wah while I was playing the guitar! -.-
my GC has a couple good guys, and they were my competition.

the guitar manager brad admits he'd never buy anything in there.

i just go in to see what they have used, and basically never buy anything there either.
Just think about it this way: every huge Guitar Center full of people pounding away with the gain cranked is honeypot that keeps them out of all the other stores you could go to.
Quote by Dmaj7
Theres only two guitar center employees that have ever been good to me. Theres one that I know that will only talk to you if you ask them for help, then he will give you great advice instead of trying to sell you a line 6.

Then at a different one theres this one girl that doesnt try to sell you anything, she just answers questions about gear and reccomends $2000+ Dr.z amps.

Well, I hate to be that guy, but if you expect this from salespeople.. you're asking them to not do their jobs..

The OP's example is pretty ridiculous. An employee shouldn't just waltz in and change the settings.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
The thing here, jpnyc, is that these people don't just go to GCs! They go to every guitar store around. It's sad really. I don't know much, but when I do go in, knowing that I don't know much I don't play around with the equipment. I just get what I'm there to get and leave... unless noone else but the employees are around, hehe. . (That's a rare opertunity to plug into a great amp with a great guitar and noodle around a bit... to see what good guitars n amps sound like hehe)
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I like Guitar Center. It's the only music store I can plug in and just try stuff out without the sales guys making things awkward. They are so busy, when I say I'm just browsing they leave me alone. It seems like the salesmen at other music stores want to just talk and talk. I guess they get lonely with everyone going to Guitar Center....
Quote by Lespauljames
simple solution..

"**** off mate.. "

my lady friend was present
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
my lady friend was present

"**** off, please?"
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by theponz
"**** off, please?"

better
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
wow... I live in the NYC suburbs, and have the luxury of being 4 minutes away from GC, which is right accross from a Sam Ash and the GC is HUGE. I've bought ALL my gear from GC. The only annoying thing about the store is weekends are crowded and its a crap shoot if you want a chance to play. Aside from that the kids that work there are very friendly and the weekly sales are solid.

I feel the GC vibe is totally opposite for me. Im 38 years old and figuring this stuff out and that store is always a good vibe. Maybe its just because I get stoned before I go... who knows. Maybe you should try that for a better GC experience?
he of tranquil mind
The guitar center I go too is usually a pretty chill place, the employess seem to help rather than hurt definitely. I haven't been offered a line 6 yet, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. lulz. And agreed, "that dude" is everywhere, he'll find you eventually.
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Producing and Recording
  • Sitcoms
  • Eastern Kentucky University
  • Dead Fret

My ambition is handicapped by laziness
I find that an equation of 3 parts aloofness 1 part polite typically gets the job done at my GC. Most of the employees there are musicians who just love throwing references to their band into conversation, if not having an entire conversation about their band with every passerby.

When I went in to try out Hollowbodies just recently, one came up after I had played an Epiphone for about 2 minutes, and asked how I liked it, "It's nice man, nice guitar." was my reply. (1 part polite) He started talking, they always start talking about something and I find continuing to play while just staring at the amp you're playing through or off into space, maybe politely nodding, tells them that you're not interested and you want to hear the guitar.

However, on this particular time I switched from the Epiphone to another Epiphone and got a rather predictable comment about how Epiphones don't really sound like Gibson and if you want the Gibson sound you need "a REAL ES-335!"

Rather than just telling the guy to "eat shit, I don't have an extra 3 grand." I just said "actually man, I've played a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul, it was nice, but not thousands and thousands of dollars nice. It was nicer than this. But this is $400 and that was $4000. The tone and playability difference isn't worth $3600 to me." he replied with "well let me know if you need anything." and left, probably convinced I was an idiot. But I was left alone.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by 3074326
An employee shouldn't just waltz in and change the settings.

i think he was saying it was another customer that did this. the OP wasn't really clear about this, but it's how i read it.

as a former music store sales person i have walked up and changed a setting for a customer.

damn 12 year olds trying to play a krank full stack with the volume on 1.

yes, not only did i turn the master up to about 6, but i informed the kid that he was indeed "doing it wrong".

i love to see their faces when they have their first eargasm. it's so cute the way they drool and don't realize it. then there is that awkward moment when they realize they drooled, and i say..

"yea, like that."
Fortunately i haven't came across 'that guy' yet. However i have met his sound engineering equivalent who didn't know anything about sound engineering or amps. He nearly broke my Laney GH100L
Quote by RockGuitarist09
Fortunately i haven't came across 'that guy' yet. However i have met his sound engineering equivalent who didn't know anything about sound engineering or amps. He nearly broke my Laney GH100L

I facepalmed reading that.
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Producing and Recording
  • Sitcoms
  • Eastern Kentucky University
  • Dead Fret

My ambition is handicapped by laziness
Quote by gregs1020
i think he was saying it was another customer that did this. the OP wasn't really clear about this, but it's how i read it.

as a former music store sales person i have walked up and changed a setting for a customer.

damn 12 year olds trying to play a krank full stack with the volume on 1.

yes, not only did i turn the master up to about 6, but i informed the kid that he was indeed "doing it wrong".

i love to see their faces when they have their first eargasm. it's so cute the way they drool and don't realize it. then there is that awkward moment when they realize they drooled, and i say..

"yea, like that."

nah it was the sales dude changing my settings n shiii sorry if i wasnt clear. but helping is reasonable lol
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Aug 10, 2011,
I had an amazing experience at GC. The sales guy got a traded in prs modern eagle and was about to put it up. I was staring at it so he let me play it for half an hour through a mesa dual rectifier. I wasn't allowed to turn it past 2 though and it was still really loud. I definitely turned a few heads with master of puppets (yes, I did thy song just to show off). Now it's very high up on the wall. I hate when they try to preserve their expensive gear.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Not at Guitar Center, but...

Me: "Can I try this wah pedal?"
Sales guy: "Ok."
(he gives me a Stratocaster and plugs it into and a random amp)
Me: "Well, I'd like to try it with a different guitar and amp."
Sales guy: "No, sorry. These ones are good to try."
Me: "Ok, no problem."
(I start to play something and he stays there, staring at me)
Me (knowing he won't let me touch the amp): "Can you put distortion?"
Sales guy: "This is not a distortion pedal."
Me: "I know, I mean the distortion on the amp."
Sales guy: "This is a wah, it doesn't have distortion."
Me: "Ok."
(I give up)
you could've stared him into his eyes?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i must be really lucky as my GC is actually a pretty good place to shop and try stuff out. the staff doesn't hound anyone and actually knows a reasonable amount about the product. if people get to loud then they will politely ask them to turn down. we have the metal kids but also several really good players that you kinda wish would turn it up some. funny how often the guys that are actually good usually don't crank it unless they are seriously checking out an amp. i've been told more than once that i don't have to keep my volume so low (not that i'm all that good but at least i'm respectful of others). the only stores that i've been in that didn't have many of the problems mentioned wee no fun to be at. been to a few mom and pop type places that didn't want you to touch anything and were borderline rude.

as for the problem mentioned i would have just told the guy that i was checking out the amp and when i was done he could knock himself out.
Quote by odinmisawa
I went in to get a strap for my sister and a couple sets of strings. As i walk in, all I hear is two kids, probably 13-15, that have drop-tuned guitars, turned the amps up as loud as they could, and played palm-muted 16ths on the low e. They couldn't play for shit. The worst part is, they thought they were badass, and none of the workers said anything. It hurt, and I hate going back there. Lesson is, don't EVER go on the weekend.

I experience this every f'n time I go into a Guitar Center. In all honesty, this has been the case for at least 20 years with just about any guitar oriented store I've been into. The funny part is it's the ONLY thing these kids can play. They epitomize the term "One Trick Pony". Too many young guitarists seem to think playing fast random notes is impressive. I'm fairly sure a monkey could be taught to do the same.

My favorite GC moment: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221662&highlight=tried+to+sell+me+my+own+guitar

Overall I still enjoy shopping at GC. Every company has its moments.
Last edited by thehikingdude at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
i must be really lucky as my GC is actually a pretty good place to shop and try stuff out. the staff doesn't hound anyone and actually knows a reasonable amount about the product. if people get to loud then they will politely ask them to turn down. we have the metal kids but also several really good players that you kinda wish would turn it up some. funny how often the guys that are actually good usually don't crank it unless they are seriously checking out an amp. i've been told more than once that i don't have to keep my volume so low (not that i'm all that good but at least i'm respectful of others). the only stores that i've been in that didn't have many of the problems mentioned wee no fun to be at. been to a few mom and pop type places that didn't want you to touch anything and were borderline rude.

This. Everything said here is true for me as well.
We have Music Centre Canada, but same shit...
The first owner was really nice, but didn't offer me my trem bar with my guitar I had bought and when I asked he said it was because of noobs ruining their first guitar.
Well it was my second and he didnt know my skill level. I got the trem bar. I also asked for the guitar manual and tools, to which he replied that he throws them away on every guitar......even the prs customs and the like xD.

The new owner isnt really that nice but he is all business and knows his shit.
Never would try to toss your stuff away.
Way better store now, but I refuse to buy anything but lessons as Axe music is way cheaper. (100-200$ per guitar)
You cant blame the franchise, they dont hire the assholes and idiots, blame the owner.
damn. GC sounds like they have lank bad rep. There are 3 different music shops in my area, two are almost on my doorstep and one is further out and I only have (mostly good things) to say about those branches.

Marshall Music is the closest to me and they're so chilled. I went to test a multi-fx pedal. The assistant just grabbed a Tanglewood les Paul and plugged me into a Cube 80 (which is very similar to my home rig anyway which I found most helpful). He just gave me the basics of how to use it (mostly self-discovery for himself though because he's more used to Line 6) and left me in the booth by myself to fiddle, occasionally checking up on me to see if how everything is while he attended to other matters. The only thing that I have to dispute with these guys is that if you query something and they say they'll call back it's a lie

Paul Bothner is the one furthest from me and they're also lank chilled. Last time I went there it was very quiet and I wanted to look at some semi-hollowbodied guitars. He picked up a Squire - because I can't afford the Fender - and left me in the booth to fiddle. After I had done, I put it back on the shelf myself and asked to test another to which be pointed me to a Cort CR200 (it wasn't hollow but I was quite impressed by it). I picked it up, went into the booth and put it back on the shelf after I had done and walked out. I bet I could have tested ANYTHING in that shop without them batting an eyelid or interfering.

Soundworks is the other one that's closest to me. It's MUCH smaller than Marshall or Bothner, but it's very homely and the staff are even friendlier in my opinion. And they strike up crazy deals. My friend is currently saving up R3500+- for a Hartke valve head and a Takamine acoustic guitar combo - I would expect to pay more for one of those products, never mind both. I took my one guitar here to be restrung there and they guy called me especially to asked what I wanted to do with the old strings. A pretty random question, I know (I told him to chuck 'em) but to go out of your way to ask that - I was quite impressed with such service.

So yeah...suck for you GC guys :P
Quote by JKHC
I hate when they try to preserve their expensive gear.

It's because they don't want everybody and their ****ing brother scratching that shit up, especially when the people who can afford such guitars aren't going to want to buy it if it's all scratched up.

It's common ****ing sense, people.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
It's because they don't want everybody and their ****ing brother scratching that shit up, especially when the people who can afford such guitars aren't going to want to buy it if it's all scratched up.

It's common ****ing sense, people.

+100
my GC recently locked down the good stuff. i don't blame them.
Page 1 of 2