I've just noticed that my thumb and index finger will touch the strings while picking. I'm holding the pick the "right" way but my fingers hit the strings. If I move my fingers up the pick then I can't comfortabley pick/strum. I am not sure how to correct this problem. Help?
It all comes with time. Try experimenting with pick sizes and gauges; I started out playing with heavy gauge, large picks (Fenders), but switched to Dunlop Jazz III's and found the smaller pick easier to maneuver and hold onto.
Your fingers must not touch the strings, but you will get it right with practice. Keep practicing and you will amaze yourself with the results. Guaranteed !!
Quote by Simpson-Navy317
It all comes with time. Try experimenting with pick sizes and gauges; I started out playing with heavy gauge, large picks (Fenders), but switched to Dunlop Jazz III's and found the smaller pick easier to maneuver and hold onto.

I tried out dozens of picks until settling to Jazz IIIs as well. My fingers tended to touch the strings at first too but when I got used to playing with them it just corrected by itself.

Your fingers touching the strings isn't really a problem until you get unwanted noises or hurt yourself.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Not sure what you mean by 'touching the strings', so I'll just assume you're talking about having your fingers be the pick instead of the pick itself being the pick. I have this problem because I keep only a minimal amounts of my pick exposed so I can do artificial harmonics easily, but it only occurs rarely.

...Try and work on your picking accuracy?
Quote by Simpson-Navy317

Never used fenders but the DUnlop Jazz are great. I came across them in a pack of picks in my music store...and...well I lost almost every pick but that one from the pack.
I think those picks have an upside and a downside.
upside: Well Either you pick or you don't since the edge is a bit smaller
downside: Well either your pick or you don't (can miss a few notes).
Quote by triface
Not sure what you mean by 'touching the strings', so I'll just assume you're talking about having your fingers be the pick instead of the pick itself being the pick. I have this problem because I keep only a minimal amounts of my pick exposed so I can do artificial harmonics easily, but it only occurs rarely.

...Try and work on your picking accuracy?

This, and make sure you aren't choking the pick, that could be the problem.
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Producing and Recording
  • Sitcoms
  • Eastern Kentucky University
  • Dead Fret

My ambition is handicapped by laziness