Page 1 of 8
You don't need a stack, or a 50 watt tube amp. I see all these excuses because in your mind you'll look cooler by a stack. I saw a few threads about needing a bigger amp because you will be playing a big place. Think about this.. If your playing somewhere big the drums are going to be miced, the bass will most likely be miced, and the guitar will be miced. So no need for a huge amp.

Me and my lead singer both down graded to valve jrs with some pedals and they're awesome. Show up with your tiny amp and go. They also sound pretty good with a good distortion pedal. They can get over a drumset without being miced, so if your playing a smaller gig you don't need to mic them.

Sorry for going off. Just trying to help.

P.s. I have a big stack to. I get way better sounds out of my little amps because I can crank them.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Yep. And if it isn't loud enough, that's what PA's are for.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
I was in a band with a guy who had one of those Marshall solid state half stacks. It was such a bitch to lug around and took up so much space, I was wondering what kind of amp I was going to get down the road, half-stacks may be out of the question now.

I've seen a lot of big bands play big shows with mic'd combos.
I used to lug around a head and a cab. Then I started lugging around a valveking. Then I went to a fender blues jr nos and that was good. But I love my new rig.
Michael Kelly vex/michael Kelly patriot limited

Tube screamer

Zakk wylde od

Boosta grande

Valve jr with a homemade 1x12 greenback cab.
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Ya. I'm gonna grab one of those 4 channel 5w amps with a ton of low end and headroom that can handle downtuned metal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Goodness gracious, so true. My AC15 is so loud it's ludicrous. Too bad Vox couldn't spring for a switchable 15/7watt mode. Oh well. It still sounds like pure bliss in amplifier form.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
Last edited by lifesglorydead at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by lifesglorydead
Goodness gracious, so true. My AC15 is so loud it's ludicrous. Too bad Vox couldn't spring for a switchable 15/7watt mode. Oh well. It still sounds like pure bliss in amplifier form.

I woud love an ac 15 or an orange tiny terror!
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by mmolteratx
Ya. I'm gonna grab one of those 4 channel 5w amps with a ton of low end and headroom that can handle downtuned metal.

My best friend has the kustom 5w tube amp and he plays metal. With a 2x12 cab it gets really heavy.
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by mmolteratx

You don't need 10 billion watts and 12 full stacks to play metal.
Quote by MaVN
I used to lug around a head and a cab. Then I started lugging around a valveking. Then I went to a fender blues jr nos and that was good. But I love my new rig.
Michael Kelly vex/michael Kelly patriot limited

Tube screamer

Zakk wylde od

Boosta grande

Valve jr with a homemade 1x12 greenback cab.

I'm using my Blackheart BH5H with the Blackheart 1x12 that I loaded with an EV.. My modded strat and a Mesa Bottle Rocket Tube Preamp. Sounds pretty sick, IMO.
Quote by supersac
i like clean head room...and some places i play dont have pa system

having said that ~30 watts is plenty fine for what i do

How does the singer sing with no pa lol.. But 30 watts is a nice thing to have Justin case.
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by ryantombasco
I'm using my Blackheart BH5H with the Blackheart 1x12 that I loaded with an EV.. My modded strat and a Mesa Bottle Rocket Tube Preamp. Sounds pretty sick, IMO.

Do you run the amp on clean then for dist hit the preamp?
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by MaVN
Do you run the amp on clean then for dist hit the preamp?

Yea, I hardly have the amp turned up half way, there's no need. The drummer in my band knows how to play quiet enough that we don't even use monitors.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
You seem to have ignored headroom. Something that a 5 watt amp definitely lacks.

Lack isn't the word for it.. Hard to achieve, yes. My low watt head sounds damn nice clean, just sayin. Personally, I think it can all be achieved by player dynamics, just my opinion though.. I mean, you can't count on the amp to do everything for you when it comes to sound. Not referring to anyone here at all.. But there's an old saying.. Garbage in, garbage out.
I've yet to hear an amp that sounds as good as my Jubilee at 7 or 8....

Personal preference. Also, many bands can't afford full PA's for a band practice. You can't ( or barely can ) hear 5 watts over a full band.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I've yet to hear an amp that sounds as good as my Jubilee at 7 or 8....

Personal preference. Also, many bands can't afford full PA's for a band practice. You can't ( or barely can ) hear 5 watts over a full band.

Tell the rest of the band to turn down.
Quote by MaVN
How does the singer sing with no pa lol.. But 30 watts is a nice thing to have Justin case.

not all music needs a singer bro
instrumentals and all that jazz
Meh, i like the bottom end, wall of sound and clean headroom you get from a high wattage amp Still debating wether i want the plexi 1986 50 watt or 100 watt ceriatone version
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
You seem to have ignored headroom. Something that a 5 watt amp definitely lacks.

I run the vj's on about 11 o'clock then we mic them. They get over the drums fine at that volume. Then for dist I hit the tube screamer then for solos I hit the boosta grande. I seem to have plenty of head room. But without micing the amps they wouldn't cut through the mix. Specially with a violinist and a keyboardist!
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by allochthomas
Meh, i like the bottom end, wall of sound and clean headroom you get from a high wattage amp Still debating wether i want the plexi 1986 50 watt or 100 watt ceriatone version

I still love my Windsor 100w head through a 2x12. I'm just talking easier transportation wise. Have to agree with a head with some power amp distortion though!
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
A local band I know, one of the guitarists played through his Fender Frontman 30w combo. Sounded good to him, and it did actually sound pretty awesome. That's what it's all about, tbh.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Yea, it really does just come down to what a "gig" is to you. I gig at bars with a band 3 nights a week, so obviously we carry PA. So there isn't a need to carry a half stack and a 150W head. When I was younger, there used to be gigs that dealt mostly with younger people playing.. 5-6 bands a night. PA for vocals only. Everything else was straight up amps and drums.
Already looking for an attenuator to tame the beast if i order one. For transportation sake a small wattage amp is a lot easier I must agree. I haul my mark III to the practice rooms every week and that damn thing weighs a ton but it's a price i'm willing to pay.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Quote by ryantombasco
Yea, it really does just come down to what a "gig" is to you. I gig at bars with a band 3 nights a week, so obviously we carry PA. So there isn't a need to carry a half stack and a 150W head. When I was younger, there used to be gigs that dealt mostly with younger people playing.. 5-6 bands a night. PA for vocals only. Everything else was straight up amps and drums.

Yeah. We normally play restaurants, parties. Etc. Wish we could play in bars, but were only 17 and 18

We all saved up and built our selves a pa. Powered speakers into a mixer with a monitor, so weir everything. But if you are at a gig where only the vox are miced I suggest a 10-15 watt tube. My fender blues worked great for that before we could mic stuff. It's all what a gig is to you.
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
I chopped that up bad ^ lol iPhone FTW!
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Restaurants and parties are hardly demanding situations. If that's all you've played you really can't have an informed opinion on the matter. Smallest amp I've used live at a real gig for something other than jazz was an AC30. Was barely clean. Small amps don't have the same punch, headroom, response to dynamics, etc. that bigger amps have. Power tube distortion isn't desirable for many types of music. It's flabby and loose. And there are features that are only available in 50w+ heads. The reason many amps sound bad at low volume is because they weren't designed for distortion or they were designed by some dude who knows nothing about electronics and shouldn't be building amps in the first place.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
*owner of a 230 watt tube amp leaves thread*
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by AcousticMirror
oh wait. metal.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
5 watts can work in some situations - however:

your amp needs to be able to at least compete with the on-stage volumes, even if you are going to mic the amp, otherwise you'll have a lot more problems with other instruments bleeding through (particularly the bass) and feedback. you won't be able to hear yourself properly unless you go through the monitors, either.

so a little 5 watter can work but it's far from ideal for most situations. they are great for studio use though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The last time I used a small amp and relied on the PA for volume, the PA ****ed up and completely threw me off for the whole song.

Massive amps ftw.
Quote by ryantombasco
Lack isn't the word for it.. Hard to achieve, yes. My low watt head sounds damn nice clean, just sayin. Personally, I think it can all be achieved by player dynamics, just my opinion though.. I mean, you can't count on the amp to do everything for you when it comes to sound. Not referring to anyone here at all.. But there's an old saying.. Garbage in, garbage out.

Garbage in > garbage out... Yes.

Also, Good in > Mediocre amp > Mediocre sound

Most 5w amps can't produce the sound quality of 30/50/100w amps. Big amps have features. There's not a whole bunch of $2,000 + 5w amps to choose from.

On a 100W Head, you can turn your stage volume down to get it sounding good through the PA. You have NOTHING to play with on a 5 watter.

I played a gig last night with my electric acoustic, and it sounded good for the genre of music I play. Therefore, everyone who uses just an electric guitar is stupid. My acoustic electric does everything else an electric can do and more.
/rig
5 watts of TUBE IS enough for gigging ... Trust me ...

Naw it isnae!
If you wanna believe that you should possibly consider buggering off to the monkey lord forum where this is a popular (YET VERY WRONG) opinion.
You don't even need an amp to gig...

Things like the Boss GT-10 and the Line6 Pods into the P.A and a monitor (for monitoring) can do just as good a job as an amp...But I wouldn't make a thread saying "YOU DON'T NEED AN AMP AT ALL".

Also, to combat your whole "You don't need a large amp" thing. While that is true. Try to hear yourself with a mic'd up 5 watt amp.
The biggest problem with this stuff is monitoring. If you have a P.A with monitors, this won't be a problem.
I had a similar problem when I was a bassist in a band for a while, not being a bassist primarily and only having a bass, no amp, I wanted to just get a DI-box for gigs, but then you'll never hear yourself behind the PA.

Either way, it's no secret that you can mic stuff up, use various DI methods, etc, but tone is a very subjective thing. Personally I'd never go for an Epiphone Valve Junior over my Cornford Roadhouse 30. But then again the difference is about £690.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Aug 10, 2011,