for people with an iphone, i have a question.

i keep watching videos about apps, and they say "this app is only available for unlocked/iphones that have been jailbroken or unlocked".

what does unlocking or jailbreaking my iphone do?
i understand ill be able to download better apps i guess, but what else?

would it mess up my warranty with apple? would it f**k with my phone permanately? because i love the shit out of my phone

help me understand this

EDIT: yes, i did check google, and im not 100% sure what it is.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Aug 10, 2011,
of course you void your warranty with apple.. thats obvious.. why would they fix something you intentionally f'ed up?....
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
so what are some of the features of unlocking and jailbreaking my phone?

i cant decide if i want to, because i love my phone and if it got messed up or something from unlocking it i would be really pissed at myself.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by jetfuel495
It will void your warranty if they find out. You can always do a full wipe and fresh restore, they'll never know.

And jailbreaking is so easy these days. If you can use a screwdriver, you can jailbreak.

This.

It depends on your firmware though. If you upgraded past 4.3.2 you won't be able to jailbreak. (Or was it 4.3.3?)

jailbreakme.com instantly jailbreaks your ipod/phone.

Then you add repositories (or sources) that you find and they allow you to find more things through Cydia (basically the jailbreak hub)

From then on, you can pretty much do whatever to it. And it while it voids your warrently while it's jailbroken, you can restore it and apple will never know. It's kind of pointless NOT to jailbreak because jailbreaking allows you to do so much.
i jailbroke my ipod. it was okay, i had fun with the themes and some of the apps i got foooo free! but i got tired of it and i restored it and my ipod got COMPLETELY screwed and i had to pay like 80$ to get it fixed. i was mad. but it's really up to you if you want to.
Quote by Ignite
This.

depends on your firmware though. If you upgraded past 4.3.2 you won't be able to jailbreak. (Or was it 4.3.3?)

It jailbreakme.com instantly jailbreaks your ipod/phone.

Then you add repositories (or sources) that you find and they allow you to find more things through Cydia (basically the jailbreak hub)

From then on, you can pretty much do whatever to it. And it while it voids your warrently while it's jailbroken, you can restore it and apple will never know. It's kind of pointless NOT to jailbreak because jailbreaking allows you to do so much.

i have absolutely no idea what firmware is.
please explain, the more everyone explains it the more i want to jailbreak it haha.

EDIT: and jetfuel, i have ATT and i want to keep them, so theres no point in unlocking it?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Aug 10, 2011,
you can do a lot more things with your iPhone than you normally can, like install custom themes, run emulators and get widgets all through cydia. you can find your firmware in setttings > general > about. There's no point in unlocking unless you need to switch to a different carrier. If you're planning to stay with ATT, don't do it.