Hey guys,

I have a vox pathfinder 10, and recently i've bought a Boss Mega Distortion pedal. When it's plugged in, the amp on it's own clean tone is fine and sounds pretty good! When the distortion channel is on, there is a HORRIFIC humming and buzzing sound coming from it...

Now, when the pedal is put in the loop and switched on, it seems ok, the hum is there but less pronounced, but when I turn the distortion up on the pedal, it starts to create this bubbling/popping sound on the amp...

Is this normal cause it's just a cheap amp, or is there some possible damage to the amp?
It sounds like feedback. I have a Vox VT40 and I get Buz from the amps own settings. You could get a noise gate, but that may be overkill.

I bought the same pedal you had and returned it because I didn't want to deal with the buzz and I didn't want to buy a noise gate to stop it.
so I'm bound to get the humming regardless of what amp it's running through? That might ease my tensions a bit about looking for a new amp!
Its just goes along with the territory. You can get noise gate-pedals, I hear wonderful things about the ISP Decimator, but its expensive. If you are going to be using pedals for your distortion you should probably invest in one. Some amps come with built in noise gates, but those are usually combo amps (most, if not all line 6 solid state amps have a built in noise gate).

But yeah, nothing to worry about.
You're running a distortion pedal while the amp's own distortion is on?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
ah well actually most of my tone shaping comes from my pedals, so I guess a noise gate is necessary!

the thing is, the noise stops the moment I touch the guitar... but I've tested it on other amps and I don't get this (I think the other amp I tested it on was a fender twin, all I remember was that it was a tube combo amp) so it must be the amp right?
Quote by consecutive e
You're running a distortion pedal while the amp's own distortion is on?

Ohh, and if this is the case, shit is going to go down. Distortion pedal + amps distortion is going to create a lot of awfulness.
Does the hum stop the moment you touch anything metal (i.e:the bridge,the tuners,etc?)
Because that's a grounding issue
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by SMTHSCN
ah well actually most of my tone shaping comes from my pedals, so I guess a noise gate is necessary!

the thing is, the noise stops the moment I touch the guitar... but I've tested it on other amps and I don't get this (I think the other amp I tested it on was a fender twin, all I remember was that it was a tube combo amp) so it must be the amp right?

What kind of guitar do you use, and if possible, can you tell me what pickups? Also, how old is it?
2009 epiphone les paul custom plus top,

and no no distortion plus a pedal! It's my amps clean channel with the distortion, I was just saying I get the same sound whether it's from the amps distortion channel or from a pedal, sorry for the confusion!

It stops the moment I touch anything metal, the weird thing is, I've tested this grounding thing on other amps, and it doesn't happen, so I dunno what's going on!
have you tried plugin the amp into another outlet sounds like your having a ground loop problem.
I've moved downstairs, same issue... it's all new wiring in the house, dunno what's causing it!
bad solder joints, bad cords etc all kinds of things can cause. but your saying useing the fender amp you didn't hear the hum ?
cable is very good, there are no bad solder joints either

The fender amp was a tube amp, and it wasn't in my house when I tried it, so it could be a grounding issue