Hey guys, I'm really confused what to get. I'm looking to update my gear. I'm wanting something that'll give a great clean sound but a great heavy distorted tone. Now i'm just wondering will a pedal ruin that because if every pedal sounds the same (do they?) then i'd be wasting money investing in a great guitar and not giving it the chance to scream. Know what I mean?

I'm just wondering If I should sell my pedal and get a nice line 6 amp and have the tones come through the amp with no help. But will that give me the crystal clear tones or is it the guitar that gives me the clear tones? I need help =S
Quote by Skiny boy89
Hey guys, I'm really confused what to get. I'm looking to update my gear. I'm wanting something that'll give a great clean sound but a great heavy distorted tone. Now i'm just wondering will a pedal ruin that because if every pedal sounds the same (do they?) then i'd be wasting money investing in a great guitar and not giving it the chance to scream. Know what I mean?

I'm just wondering If I should sell my pedal and get a nice line 6 amp and have the tones come through the amp with no help. But will that give me the crystal clear tones or is it the guitar that gives me the clear tones? I need help =S

WAT. No almost every distortion pedal sounds different,

and PLEASE dont get a line6, they are unreliable and most of them sound like ass
sorry I meant if every guitar sounds the same with the same pedal. I.e If I hooked up a gibson with to a boss MT2 and then hooked a fender strat to it would it sound the same?
Typically, the higher you turn up the gain, the more of the guitar's character is lost.

But please don't ever use an MT-2. Every pedal sounds the same to you because you're new. Trust me, your ears will develop.

And the amp is about 70% of your tone by the way. Playing the best guitar into a shitty amp will not give you good tone.
Quote by Skiny boy89
sorry I meant if every guitar sounds the same with the same pedal. I.e If I hooked up a gibson with to a boss MT2 and then hooked a fender strat to it would it sound the same?

No not at all, but to be honest a Boss MT2 will make any guitar sound a bit shit
Not all line 6 amps are bad.... the valve series is awesome
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
short answer, no.

some dirt pedals might cover up the nuances of a guitar's tone a bit so you only hear the difference in frequency content in the guitar's output, so two different strats might sound exactly the same, or two les pauls, etc, but it really depends on the pedal, because some are very good at keeping the subtle details of a guitar's tone present in the sound.

it also depends on how you set them up and what you're using them for, to an extent, because usually the more you increase the gain the more the subtleties are covered up - there are some really nice tube amps out there that are an exception to that 'rule', but very few pedals that i know of.

edit: having said that, you'd be wasting money buying an expensive guitar and then running it into a cheap modelling amp really. a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by zbest
Not all line 6 amps are bad.... the valve series is awesome

I said "most" of them, the higher priced ones, like the valve series are alright
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I said "most" of them, the higher priced ones, like the valve series are alright

"most" being the spider amps, because those are the only line 6 amps that suck and they only truly suck because they are unreliable. the spider valve and stuff are just the next level above the solid state spiders
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The MT-2 isn't THAT bad, You just need to EQ it with your amp just right. I only use mine for a Cannibal Corpse tone, which it does wonderfuly seeing as they use the pedal too. However, no, pedals will not make everything sound the same.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
A distorted amp, or a distortion pedal, will add create new harmonics that were not present in the original guitar signal. For this reason, as you increase the distortion, the subtle differences between guitars are lost.
If you use something like an MT-2, you might still hear the difference between, say, a humbucker and a single coil, but the difference between two similar guitars with humbuckers will be very subtle.
It seems to me that the majority of professional guitarists tend to prefer high-gain amps over extreme distortion pedals.

If you plan to get a Line 6, I would not recommend the Spider series. They have a wide range of bad tones. If you're looking for clarity, you won't find it there.
The answer to this question is a yes and no. It's going to really depend on the pedal. To lump all distortion pedals into one and say yes would just not be right. In general the more gain=the loss of character of the guitar you are using. Now I'm not saying all high gain pedals will do this but most will.

I have a Guyatone Metal Monster that just kills for heavy riffs but it covers up any character of any guitar I'm using. I can use a Strat or a Les Paul and it pretty much sounds exactly the same. Now I have built a low gain overdrive that is amazing with single coils and brings out the sound of each pickup settings and I have built a pretty high gain distortion pedal that retains pickup/guitar character so it can be done.

It's one of those situations where you're going to have to watch a ton of YouTube videos or go to a music store and start trying out pedals to see if there is one you like.

What pedal are you currently using?
I'm using a Boss MT2, I just recently bought a Vox 40w Valve amp. It goes very well together
Quote by Capt_Clarkson

i may decide to buy a dt-50. those things are sweet

so many freaking options.
The MT-2 will color your sound and pretty much mask that guitar you are using. There's a lot of gain there and not much in the low gain range. If you modify the pedal for lower gain, you will probably hear the difference between humbucker and single coil pickups better.
Quote by Skiny boy89

No, they will not sound the same at all. How do I know? Because I have a Les Paul and used to have an MT-2 and a Strat as well. They sounded a lot different, just switching guitars with the same setup otherwise. The LP obviously sounded heavier and thicker, while the Strat sounded brighter and more cutting. And this was on a solid state Marshall. I would expect even more difference on a tube amp.

That pedal will not mask what guitar you're using, especially between guitars as different as an LP and a Strat. That's nonsense, I'm sorry.
Last edited by KailM at Aug 14, 2011,
a pedal won't but piling on to much gain will. a lot of younger players tend to heap on a mountain of gain and after a certain point yes almost all guitars will sound pretty much the same. trick is to use just enough gain and not obscure your guitars natural sound.
I have other high gain pedals that have a huge difference to which guitar you use. The MT-2 doesn't compare to them in that way. Where saying it will sound completely the same would probably be wrong depending on how high you have the distortion set, it's not a great pedal for bringing out the sound of your pickups. This all may depend on your pickups also. Yes, single coils will probably sound a little thinner/brighter and humbuckers will sound fuller. That's not really what I was talking about. For instance that snappy twang of a tele that people love so much would pretty much be lost using a MT-2. You might hear it a little with the distortion turned way down.