So I thought this was really cool. I really like the transition thats made from the water dripping sounds at 0.35-0.48. The whole thing really feels like some sort of limbo. especially after the transition. The only thing id do differently is maybe return to the first section after the "soothing" end. It sounds great though.
Quote by inkybutt
So I thought this was really cool. I really like the transition thats made from the water dripping sounds at 0.35-0.48. The whole thing really feels like some sort of limbo. especially after the transition. The only thing id do differently is maybe return to the first section after the "soothing" end. It sounds great though.

Do you mean the whole of the first section? Or the first half / second half only?
This sounds really good. I love the piano! It's sounds like the soundtrack to a movie or a video game, which I assume is what you were trying to do. Very good job!

My only complaints are that I think it may have been too short, and that the water dripping noise occasionally sounded like someone taking a piss. Other than that, great effort!

Hope this helps
c4c
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469290
Thanks for the crit man!

I loved the first part, I love the dark and a bit eerie atmosphere it presents. I could see this as a theme for an army or something like that.

The piano part was pretty cool too, but I would see it as a part of a different song. It reminds me a bit of the soothing parts from Final Fantasy games, but that may be my head playing tricks on me. Less water drippings though

Good job man!
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Hey dude! Cheers for the crit, handy for my next steps like always . And now your crit as per;

Very dark yet moving intro. Interesting harmonies - very horror-esque. The dip in the middle with water effects is a nice transition into the piano... really adds to that damn spooky feel!

I can really see this working in something like Donnie Darko as it sounds evil/dark yet it has some sort of uplifting or inspiring melodies behind some parts where it resolves. Pretty awesome.

A nice major key resolve, does give it that soothing ending. Overall a great piece! Would love to hear more in this style and perhaps longer too.
Well, first off, the writing's quite nice, though in the piano section, the phrase endings feel a tad awkward in my opinion. Personally I'd only have such a long dead space between repeats after the first statement (00:48), if that, and perhaps let the D resolve to C in the following - though that may take away from the suspense. But just a little something to carry the momentum. The orchestration during the first half-minute or so could perhaps be a bit more balanced in the strings, there seems to be a bit of a gap in the texture in the mids, but it's somewhat hard to tell due to poor balance (see below).

Speaking of, mixwise, it's very bassy and lacks brilliance. The balance between the string sections feel very off, too, the violas or cellos are very loud while the violins are barely audible in comparison. Further, it sounds perhaps a bit dry, in need of more reverb, but it's difficult to tell when it's so bassy. It's always helpful to use a frequency analyser and reference listening to similar, professional tracks when mixing.

I have difficulty detecting any significant panning in the mix, except for the tricks with the drums which nonetheless are nice - but panning gives the mix width and makes the individual instrument stand out more. You should look up some standard orchestra layouts (for the strings, bog standard lay out is Left - Right: violin 1, violin 2, violas, cellos/basses) and use them as a guide.

The strings sound very programmed. You ought to use a MIDI controller and perhaps expression pedal, as consecutive notes at the exact same velocity screams samples.

Digital orchestration and production is can feel like a bit of a monolithic subject but keep at it and it'll start to make some sense at least.

Here's a good starting point for panning (and later reverb): http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30510

Whenever you have the time to crit back your thoughts would be appreciated here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470085

EDIT: on second thought, might have overreacted on the bassiness of the mix, got a decent set of studio headphones but my EEE's soundcard makes most mixes way bassier and muddier than they ought to be. Will try to listen on a different setup later.

EDIT2: alright, on another setup, the bassiness isn't just as bad, but still very bass-heavy and unbalanced in the strings.
Last edited by descara at Aug 14, 2011,
Hey, this is pretty damn good, I like it. It certainly has a videogame/movie soundtrack feel.
The percussion in the first part is really cool, and the water dripping noises are pretty interesting.
I wish it would be longer, though, it kinda ends abruptly. I could see this as part of a soundtrack and the ending of this one is actually a transition to the next track, I hope that made sense.
The title is very fitting too.

C4C https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469108
I made that thread for Golden Brown/Winter Song, but listen to 28.06.42.12 it's also inspired by Donnie Darko (as you can probably tell by the title).