Hello everyone. I am in a band and it seems our writing styles are similar and our types are metal are very different. The drummer and singer/rhythm guitarist are into death heavy core metal. Me and the bassist are more into 80s metal and some punk stuff. We all write various things. We have not yet met to play yet because I was out of town for a week the day after we decided to get together. I write more laid back stuff of all and the singer writes heavier stuff. The drummer and singer are into slayer, bodom, cradel of filth. I myself am into Maiden, Zepp, Shinedown, and some Ozzy. I know were probably not gonna sound like any of these. It takes alot to be a good metal band because everyone has to have timing and be all on the same page. I dont want us to rip the crap out of the E string. I know we wont sound like Maiden with all the guitar harmonies and awesome solos. I play with a Tele, Marshall 40watt, and a Zoom g2.1u pedal so I have no idea what will happen. Im morely set for rock/punk stuff like that. So here are the questions for you metal heads:

How do you think this band will turn out (in terms of music)?

By given the musical interests of the band, what genre would you give us?

Why is everyone into screaming and growling, when it does not sound good and everyone makes fun of it?

Does the singer determine the style of the band? (He said he sounds like Hetfield)

Would it be possible to have a guitarist be the leader of the band? (Satriani does and Steve Harris of Iron Maiden does morely stuff off of the stage in terms of gigs, recording places, songs played, and writing most of their songs.)
I would suggest that you all listen to better music
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
He said he sounds like Hetfield

You mean you're just taking his word for it? You should probably hear him before making any judgements....

Wait until you've had a couple of sessions of actually playing together before you say you're "in a band". At the moment you're just a group of people who are talking about maybe doing something.

Also, the fact that you all have fairly different tastes could be an issue - it sounds like you've got no interest in being as heavy as some of the other guys, so if they also have no interest in playing music you like it won't work. You need to find some middle ground that you all enjoy and can focus on. Asking a forum how they think you will sound won't provide any answers, you can only decide that for yourselves.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
How do you think this band will turn out (in terms of music)?
Truth be told, I don't really see this turning out, since you're all far away from each other... It would've been one thing if everyone of you enjoyed one band in particular.

By given the musical interests of the band, what genre would you give us?
Uh...

Why is everyone into screaming and growling, when it does not sound good and everyone makes fun of it?
Why would everyone be into it, if everyone's making fun of it? It's a matter of taste, some people like liquorice, other's despise it.

Does the singer determine the style of the band? (He said he sounds like Hetfield)
What does the Hetfield thing have to do with anything? And no, a band's supposed to be everyone coming with their own thoughts, and everybody use their skills to craft these thoughts into an idea.

Would it be possible to have a guitarist be the leader of the band?
Yes.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Don't worry about it and just play music ¬_¬
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Find something with Humbucker's that you can go all the pinch harmonics with.

You'll end up sounding Melodic Death Punk Thrash Black Avant Garde Heavy Metal Wood Plastic Core
And they'll kill you if you play slow powerchords ala-Heaven and Hell.
E String?
You may have to downtune when your around these guys.

As for why growling "sucks"?
Harsh Vocals, proper term for it, add a certain depth to the music. Not to mainstream tastes, but when done right screaming, growling, shreiking and the like all add an emotion to the music. I can't listen to singing all the time.

Listen to Testament - Formation of Damnation.
Could not do a song like that without the death grunts.
Its in Eb so guitars arent tuned down much.

The Agonist - The Tempest.

Growling and cleans have their place. Allisa Gluz is a beautiful sounding singer but her growls are br00tal and give passion to the music and lyrics.

Karma - parkway drive.

Fast paced down-tuned metalcore song which suits Winston McCall's yelling and grunts perfectally.
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at Aug 12, 2011,
The above poster is a core fan who uses the term "br00tal," says tuning down is a necessity, and says not to play any slow riffs. I assure you that his advice will only take your sound to a more brutal level and should be ignored, particularly since none of the bands listed in the OP are brutal at all.

His thing about the vocals adding emotion is partially true, I guess. The earlier extreme metal bands, ie Venom, only did it to sound other-worldly, though.

The rest of the posts above contain pretty much all that can be said.
Well, I think I'll go turn myself off an' go on down
All the way down...
Really ain't no use in me hanging around
You know what I'm trying to say
Music, sweet music
I wish I could caress, and-a kiss
Manic Depression is a fustrating mess
Venom were some of the first metal hipsters
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
what exactly is 'morely' ?

and no, I do not have anything creative to add, since the questions are rhetoric anyways.
Quote by The Wildchild
Venom were some of the first metal hipsters

Add hipster eyewear and you're solid
Philosophy > Life
Quote by jazar94
The above poster is a core fan who uses the term "br00tal," says tuning down is a necessity, and says not to play any slow riffs. I assure you that his advice will only take your sound to a more brutal level and should be ignored, particularly since none of the bands listed in the OP are brutal at all.

His thing about the vocals adding emotion is partially true, I guess. The earlier extreme metal bands, ie Venom, only did it to sound other-worldly, though.

The rest of the posts above contain pretty much all that can be said.

I'm honoured.
I do appreciate Metalcore and Deathcore to a certain degree but it's not my fav genre.
And yeah, Cradle of Filth and Slayer and COB. are pretty Br00tal.
COB and COF downtune, I beleive to C or C# or D I FORGET DAH!
COB USES DROP C ON ARE YOU DEAD YET AND BLOODRUNK ALBUMS.
Down Tuning helps though if you don't know how to right music or run out of idea's for riffs.
That's why I use Drop C but avoid going beyond the 4th Fret on my low C string before it goes:

-
----6---9---1---3----3----7-
-0----0---0---0---0----0----2-3-2-4-2-3-2-4-0-2-0-0-2-0-1-1-0-1-3-1-0-

Anything below Drop C is too Br00tal for me anyways.
I'm not jumping on the Djent bandwagon.
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at Aug 15, 2011,
Sure is trisomal in here today.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.