Hey guys,
Say I have the following arpeggio:
--------------------------
--------------------8-10
------------------9------
------------7-11--------
------7-10--------------
-5-9---------------------

Firstly, this is an A dominant 7, correct (since the note on the tenth fret of the fifth string is a minor seven)?
Could I use this arpeggio over an A major progression? (well, I know I can, but I'm just not sure how this works out, theoretically)

Thanks in advance
Yep. If an A7 chord was thrown in as secondary dominant, in this case it would be a V/IV, then you could use it there.

Also you could play it and use the b7 as a chromatic approch note to the G#, which would act as the major 3rd of E7. That's if for example your progression went from A - E at some point. A bit of practice in getting the timing right for that and it should work. Or if your progression was static on an Amaj7 for a couple of bars, it would act as an approach to the maj7.

No guitar atm so can't experiment with it, you just need to listen to how it sounds.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 10, 2011,
I don't know what the chords are, so I couldn't tell you what chords you could and couldn't play it over. But if were talking just about playing it over an A major chord, then yes, you definitely can. It's called chord substitution. However, if you're playing over an A major 7th chord, it would be best not to really stick around the flat 7th, except for in passing. But, if there's no major 7th in the harmony, then you should be fine. If you do play it over other chords, then you have to figure what it's doing to the harmony.
Last edited by WalrusNutFart at Aug 10, 2011,
Wouldn't the Adom7 then be the secondary major of the Dminor chord? Oh wait, that makes sense though, because Dmin is in the key of A major...

I don't understand what you mean by playing it as a chromatic approach though?
Quote by powerhead
Wouldn't the Adom7 then be the secondary major of the Dminor chord? Oh wait, that makes sense though, because Dmin is in the key of A major...

A dominant 7th would be the secondary dominant (V/IV) of D major (IV). D minor is not in the key of A major. I have no idea where you got that from.

If we're talking about the key of A major, diatonically we have Amaj7 as the tonic chord, not A7 which is not in the key of A major. Major scales only have one dominanth seventh chord which is found by harmonizing the fifth degree, which is, in the case of A major, E.

I don't recommend playing the A7 arpeggio over a whole progression, but different arpeggios can easily be used to outline each chord. Let's say we have a progression: I - V7/IV - IV - V. In A major, that would be: A - A7 - D - E. Arpeggios you could play respectively could be for example: Amaj7 - A7 - Dmaj7 - E7. So that's for an example how to use A7 arpeggio in a progression in A major.

I hope I'm not terribly wrong in anything, but I'm trying to help the best I can.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by powerhead

You mean 'secondary dominant' and yes it would. However, Dm is not present in A major, D is. A7 will pull to either, but if you're playing strictly in key, you would use D. It's an interesting way to move from I - IV, I've personally seen it and used it a lot in recent weeks.
Quote by powerhead

Accidentals are often employed to approach a certain note or delay it's arrival for dramatic effect. Let's stay in A major here. I want to arrive at E at the start of the next bar. If I'm on D, I could just go D -> E, or I could approach chromatically with D -> D# -> E. You can approach from above as well. Hell, you can also meander between chromatic tones higher and lower than your destination, like so: G -> F# -> D -> F -> D# -> E. You really just have to play around with it and hear it.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Last edited by soviet_ska at Aug 10, 2011,