Hello,

I have been practising pull offs for some time now and on the 1st string, its great, I can do it and it has a great sound and volume to it. When I do it on any other string however, I just cant get it... Usually the string below prevents me from making enough "pulling power" with my fingers + the string moves down when I pull it, I mean I am kind of... uhh... not pulling down a stable string I guess, cause its moving down a little as I pull it which prevents me from making enough volume. (I only got an acoustic guitar so I practise on that, although I tried this on electric too, still couldnt get a good sound.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Quote by kiraly5
Hello,

I have been practising pull offs for some time now and on the 1st string, its great, I can do it and it has a great sound and volume to it. When I do it on any other string however, I just cant get it... Usually the string below prevents me from making enough "pulling power" with my fingers + the string moves down when I pull it, I mean I am kind of... uhh... not pulling down a stable string I guess, cause its moving down a little as I pull it which prevents me from making enough volume. (I only got an acoustic guitar so I practise on that, although I tried this on electric too, still couldnt get a good sound.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

By 1st string do you mean high e or low E? If it's the high e, you can do pull offs on good, it might just be the higher guages of the lower strings throwing you off, just try to strengthen your fretting hand more if that's the case dude.
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Producing and Recording
  • Sitcoms
  • Eastern Kentucky University
  • Dead Fret

My ambition is handicapped by laziness
You shouldn't be pulling the string down, just lift your finger off the strings. I can understand on some lower end acoustics if you're new to playing it can be difficult to maintain the volume, try picking a little harder?
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
It sounds like yore not pulling off. When you do yore puff off, make it a sideways motion so that yore finger hits the string below it. Don't Intentionally hit the next string, just realize it might happen, so make sure yore muting that string with yore left hand. On an electric with high gain/volume, all you have to do is lift yore finger off the string to get the sound.
Quote by jacobm606
By 1st string do you mean high e or low E? If it's the high e, you can do pull offs on good, it might just be the higher guages of the lower strings throwing you off, just try to strengthen your fretting hand more if that's the case dude.

I meant the high E string. It might be the case that I should strenghten my fingers, I guess I will just have to stick with it until I can do it :/. It just feels strange, because on the high E string I can do it flawlessly, but not on any other...
Quote by cptcomet
You shouldn't be pulling the string down, just lift your finger off the strings. I can understand on some lower end acoustics if you're new to playing it can be difficult to maintain the volume, try picking a little harder?

You are wrong. That is all.

Quote by kiraly5
I meant the high E string. It might be the case that I should strenghten my fingers, I guess I will just have to stick with it until I can do it :/. It just feels strange, because on the high E string I can do it flawlessly, but not on any other...

Really if you can do it on the highest string alone the finger strength thing is most likely. Also when you're just getting this started, don't worry about making the motions too big, you're better off having big movements and being able to use the technique musically than having small motions, weak fingers and no volume in your legato.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Make sure your picking volume is about the same as the pull off, that way it sounds even.
Don't pick harder, it makes you legato sound un-even.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are wrong. That is all.

Cheers.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
practice makes perfect, thats all i have to say. Chose a smaller gauge, i use 0.9 and i can pull off on any string
Quote by Petolvan
practice makes perfect, thats all i have to say. Chose a smaller gauge, i use 0.9 and i can pull off on any string

I play bass as well as guitar and can easily pull off on the low B on a 5 string.

Skills > equipment.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.