Page 1 of 2
I thought i'd listen to all the metalheads on this site who seem to worship BTBAM. I listened to them for the first time yesterday and i can not grasp what's so special about them. They are one of the most average and unexciting bands i've ever heard.

So can someone enlighten me as to why people think they're so good?
I don't listen to them nor really care.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
listen to their albums as a whole, not separate songs on youtube. preferably buy one, they're a band that needs to grow on you and downloading an album doesn't give you an incentive to listen to them unless they give a good first impression.

they're a pretty good band.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Because their musicians are really really good.

I'm not a big fan since I don't really like their singer, but I do realize they are talented as fuck
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
They're an alright band, way overrated though.
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
I don't like them.

This discussion doesn't belong here.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Oh yeah. Wrong section too.
Edit: ^ Damn it.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by vayne92

So can someone enlighten me as to why people think they're so good?

Different people like different stuff

/thread
for the street cred.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by laid-to-waste
listen to their albums as a whole, not separate songs on youtube. preferably buy one, they're a band that needs to grow on you and downloading an album doesn't give you an incentive to listen to them unless they give a good first impression.

Are you implying that they don't give a good first impression?

(I've never listened to the band)
I'm not a fan, amazing musicians, just don't like their songs.

Also, I don't have ANY metalhead friends that like them...but then again none of my friends are SUPER into metal, so I don't think they'd even know of them.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Because they write songs because they're good at their instruments, not because it sounds good, and for some reason people like that.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
They write very complex and skilled songs. Metalheads today have come to value technicality over musicality in some cases (at least among the guitar community). Generations change, different values come to rise. I think they're pretty cool.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm not even a metalhead (can't handle the fcuking screaming) but I can realize the individual members are incredibly talented.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I like them because I enjoy the complexity of their music, and the undeniable talent behind it. But at the same note, I can't stand Protest the Hero, who many lump together. It all comes down to personal taste. If it's not for you, then it's not for you.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by sashki
Are you implying that they don't give a good first impression?

(I've never listened to the band)

relative to how much they grew on me, yes.
Quote by Duffman123
Complexity.

This.

But when it comes down to it, it's noise. I love metal, always have and always will, but too many metal heads can't distinguish what's useful and what's noise. Most of BTBAM stuff is just everyone wanking off at the same time.
They are overrated. I mean, sure they are all really skilled and stuff but whatever. I like the singers clean voice and they do have some nice clean parts.
Quote by JustRooster
They write very complex and skilled songs. Metalheads today have come to value technicality over musicality in some cases (at least among the guitar community). Generations change, different values come to rise. I think they're pretty cool.

Pretty much this exactly. I don't really care for them, but I've heard several of their songs, even enjoyed a couple, and I can totally understand why someone else would be a fan. BTBAM is music for musicians, and that's what the metalheads here are.

EDIT:
Quote by Beautiful
Metalheads worship BTBAM because it's trendy to. They think they're cooler, edgier, and more "metal" if they like this "unknown" band, so they do.

Last edited by madbasslover at Aug 10, 2011,
Metalheads worship BTBAM because it's trendy to. They think they're cooler, edgier, and more "metal" if they like this "unknown" band, so they do.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Beautiful

ya know, some people actually like them for their music.
Quote by laid-to-waste
ya know, some people actually like them for their music.

I believe that some do...but for the most part, people start to like them only because others do.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by PRS-Metal
This.

But when it comes down to it, it's noise. I love metal, always have and always will, but too many metal heads can't distinguish what's useful and what's noise. Most of BTBAM stuff is just everyone wanking off at the same time.

Somuch****ingthis.

I like BTBAM, they're extremely talented... but most of their songs are 7 min+ and their longest (that i know of) is Swim to the Moon is 20 minutes long. There is so much going on in their songs it's not even funny, they could honestly cut some of their songs in half and It'd probably be more appealing
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by laid-to-waste
relative to how much they grew on me, yes.

You know what else grows on you?
That's right, A FUCKING TUMOR

If it doesn't grab me by the heart within the first microsecond, it's garbage

BTBAM = evil wanky noise for elitists who like soulless technical music that sounds like it's being played by a machine.
Where's the goddamn soul? They should chill out, slow down and bend more notes. They gotta feel it, otherwise they have no right to call themselves musicians.

[/stock pit reply]
Quote by sashki

BTBAM = evil wanky noise for elitists who like soulless technical music that sounds like it's being played by a machine.
Where's the goddamn soul? They should chill out, slow down and bend more notes. They gotta feel it, otherwise they have no right to call themselves musicians.

[/stock pit reply]

Ha ha yes
Quote by vicarious46
Somuch****ingthis.

I like BTBAM, they're extremely talented... but most of their songs are 7 min+ and their longest (that i know of) is Swim to the Moon is 20 minutes long. There is so much going on in their songs it's not even funny, they could honestly cut some of their songs in half and It'd probably be more appealing

It's basically the generation of hardcore kids trying to be more metal(they all have snakebites and atticus clothing). No better way to be more metal than to just be noisier and angrier right?
I don't listen to them but I think they're super ****ing good at what they do.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by sashki

[/stock pit reply]

It sounds interesting to me. Therefore I listen to it.

Dillinger Escape Plan is better, though.
Quote by vicarious46

Having long songs is not a bad thing. Opeth is one of my favourite bands, and most of their songs are around 10 minutes long. I'm not a huge BTBAM fan, but White Walls is a brilliant song, and it (including Viridian first) is 17 minutes long. Admittedly they often don't need to be that long, but the song length shouldn't be a downside in itself.
Download Colours, listen to it.
At some other time, listen to it again.
Then, maybe listen to it a third time.

It's one of those albums where the songs open up to you over time, and then you appreciate just how great the songs are [if you don't on your first listen].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by goest

This. I love both bands, but The Dillinger Escape Plan is on a different level.
Quote by sashki

[/stock pit reply]

I'll admit you had me going at first.

I feel like I have read this same post so many times.

Quote by goest

Protest the Hero is better than both.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by PRS-Metal
It's basically the generation of hardcore kids trying to be more metal(they all have snakebites and atticus clothing). No better way to be more metal than to just be noisier and angrier right?

Yeah, I guess so, but you can definitely be more metal without have to write 20 minutes of everyone performing instrument-rape simoltaneously.

@DARTH: Yeah I really like Opeth too, and i have nothing against songs being longer but their songs are way more composed and structured.

I just feel like a BTBAM recordings go something like this
"Alright everyone pick up their instruments and try and masturbate them...
then we're gonna go into a hardcore breakdown...
more masturbating...
then a calm bluesy riff, and then wank off some shit
Then the climax of the song
More hardcore masturbation and intense outro
And I'm just gonna sing some sad story about how this dumbass couple tried all their life to swim to the moon"
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Aug 10, 2011,
Page 1 of 2