You see the thing is, I love the clean channel of my JSX as it's crystal clear, but it's just far too bright for my liking. When playing I can't have the treble even slightly above half way, especially if I'm using the bridge pickup. It just hurts...

Also, what effects do you personally put in front of your clean channel? - sans reverb and delay, and why? I'm kinda looking for a warmer, creamier tone.

I'm using JJ Tesla 6L6's in my JSX and no effects.

Feel free to just simply chat about clean tones also...
Quote by sashki
Have you tried using the neck pickup?

Of course! It's not as bright but still a bit sharp.
have you tried turning the treble down lower than half-way?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Have you tried rolling back on the guitar's tone knob a bit?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 10, 2011,
Have you tried to increase the bass on the amp?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
Have you tried to increase the bass on the amp?

Yeah, but I can't have it up too much if I decide to switch to the bridge pup, because then walls crack...
Invest on a cheapo but good EQ pedal like the Danelectro Fish n' Chips so you can have more control.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Quote by sashki
Have you turned the presence down?

Yes

Ok, just to get this out of the way, I've played with all the possible knobs on my amp.

Quote by Calvero
Invest on a cheapo but good EQ pedal like the Danelectro Fish n' Chips so you can have more control.

Ah ok!
Last edited by conor-figgy at Aug 10, 2011,
+1 on an EQ pedal. Just turn it on when you go to your clean channel and VOILA.

As for effects other than reverb and delay, you could also go for a chorus. <3

Last edited by Syriel at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by Syriel
+1 on an EQ pedal. Just turn it on when you go to your clean channel and VOILA.

Will do! Anyone know if EL34's are as bright as 6L6's?
Quote by conor-figgy
Will do! Anyone know if EL34's are as bright as 6L6's?

I heard the 6L6's are brighter than EL34's, but don't take my word on it as I have limited knowledge of types of tubes.
Quote by Syriel
I heard the 6L6's are brighter than EL34's, but don't take my word on it as I have limited knowledge of types of tubes.

Well, in my experience and what I have heard, EL34s have a better upper mid response while 6L6s have a better low mid response...but I have been wrong before.

Also, try cutting back the mids on your clean channel. That IS allowed for cleans Actually, scooped cleans are some of my favorite tones.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I have the JSX with EL34's in, it's still pretty bright. It's a slightly warmer sound but nothing too noticeable :/
Also, is it just me or is the clean channel like wayyyyy quieter than the ultra ? o.o
Try the EQ thing, it works for me. I use an MXR 10 band EQ, and it gives me all the control I need really. But you are definitely correct, the clean channel can break glass... I used my little Swarovski crystal teddy bear to test it, I put him on the amp, turn it on, and if he hides behind the TV, I need to lower the highs... I also changed strings for a slightly deeper tone, went from factory .009-.042 to .011-.049's. And if I want a real DEEP tone I use my pitch shifter pedal and drop it an octave or two.
turn all knobs down to zero, even presence. bring volume up to whatever volume you wish, then slowly add in the bass, and then the trebles, then adjust the presence, and then add in mids.

then play with your tone knob. and after that, re-adjust your volume. and your set.