Hey, I recently played a Fender Hellcat, and thought it sounded fairly dull. I did notice he the stock strings are 12's and not 11's, and on top of that they were the brightest pair either.
If I switched to a brighter sounding 11 gauge string set would it give it a much brighter tone? I love the specs, but to be honest I liked the brighter tones of some of the Ibanez's in the same price range better.

Thanks in advance, just a quick question here. The Hell cat has a solid mahogany top
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
maybe the strings were old - that wouldn't be odd at a guitar stores. on the other hand, it's not a bright guitar, so perhaps that's why you didn't care for it. i don't like bright guitars, and i liked the hellcat a lot more than almost any acoustic electric at its low price range. i also find it far superior to the ibanez guitars in the same price range, as i find they have more muffled dull tone to my ears. on the other hand, everyone has different tastes
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
hmm. Would brighter strings enhance the tone a little? what makes a guitar bright if it isnt the strings?
bracing, top voicing and wood thickness.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
ah.. well could someone answer my question about the strings?
using 80/20 instead of phosphor bronze can make a guitar sound brighter. i find that using lighter gauge strings makes a guitar sound thinner, and yes - probably some brighter. or you might like dr rare pb's on the guitar. on the other hand, you like the ibanez sound better at the same price.
Quote by Skeet UK
Alright, cool, because I thought the brightness of the majority of the Ibanez's around 300 were almost too bright, and I think with a string change on the Hellcat with give me that sound