Hi

I am considering a buy of this guitar 2nd hand. It is two years old and is for a really nice price for the Europe. The guitar should be fine with no problems.

I am just wondering what are your opinions and experience with this guitar and maybe more about SET-THROUGH necks overall, possibly even the knowledge about LTD's set through construction or overall quality knowledge. I have used only two guitars with neck-through (IbanezXPT700 and BC Rich Warbeast WMD) design and also had one with Bolt on (Jackson KVX10).

From what I know, both nice complicated constructions should be ok, but I also heard horror stories about set necks. I have seen broken Carvin guitar photo and there was some topic here http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/29994-any-bad-expireneces-set-neck-guitars.html

Maybe I would sell the new guitar, but maybe I would like to keep it forever. So what are your thoughts?

Thanks for the response.
Ibanez RG570EX, Dunlop 8-38 E Standard, B.C. Rich Warbeast WMD, Dunlop 9-42 E Standard, Boss MT2, Sencor 30W, Planet Waves, Fast Track MkII. Dunlop Jazz III, Stubby
Last edited by Wakizashis at Aug 10, 2011,
Why would there be any issues with a set neck? ESP/LTD offer good build quality. I've never heard any horror stories.

Set necks have been in use for centuries. Don't worry about weak glue joints. The glue binds stronger than the wood itself. Also keep in mind that they probably used the same glue to join the body together. Are you worried that the body could fall apart at any second?
Quote by sashki
Why would there be any issues with a set neck? ESP/LTD offer good build quality. I've never heard any horror stories.

Set necks have been in use for centuries. Don't worry about weak glue joints. The glue binds stronger than the wood itself. Also keep in mind that they probably used the same glue to join the body together. Are you worried that the body could fall apart at any second?

Hello

someone used this argument too somewhere. Well the difference is that neck must endure the tension of the strings, while the glued wings are just glued and "free".

I have to say I am not "high tension string freak". I like to use 9-42 for standard E stuff. 10-46 are for D and for B 11-52 would be still quite ok to me.

As I am saying, I do not have experience with set-necks, taht is why I am worried much more.
Ibanez RG570EX, Dunlop 8-38 E Standard, B.C. Rich Warbeast WMD, Dunlop 9-42 E Standard, Boss MT2, Sencor 30W, Planet Waves, Fast Track MkII. Dunlop Jazz III, Stubby
Last edited by Wakizashis at Aug 10, 2011,
You really have no need to worry. I trust ESP to make a good quality neck joint.
Also, in a "set through" neck, the neck tenon extends all the way to the bridge. Therefore, all the functional parts of the guitar are mounted onto the same piece of wood.
A set neck won't go anywhere, I have an ESP and it owns.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

You're fine with a set neck, nothing to worry about. If it was a major design problem/flaw/issue then most guitar companies wouldn't still be in business today. Also, a set through neck's joint will be much stronger than a traditional set neck due to the doubled/tripled/quadrupled gluing surface area.

Play it, have fun. Nothing to worry about.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
My LTD F-400FM has a set-thru neck and I really like it. You basically get the tonality of a set-neck along with the look and feel of a neck-thru guitar, allowing better access to the higher frets. Having that paired up with a string-thru body, you've got some nice sustain. My LTD rings out beautifully, even in lower tunings.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX