Well, I was trying to take out the string nut on my strat to file it down, as it's too high and messes up the action.
I tapped it very gently with a hammer to get it out, and the 3rd hit got it out alright, but it shattered in quite a few small pieces.

So I thought, it's not all bad because I've been meaning to mod a guitar for a while, so now's the time.

basically, i'm going to replace the nut, pickguard, knobs and pickup selector tip, and i'm also going to replace the bridge pickup.

probably going to order all the parts from axetec.co.uk apart from the pickup, which is from gear 4 music.

replacing the pickguard with this;

the black knobs;

black string nut;

black switch tip;

and the pickup....

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-BHS-94-Single-Blade-Humbucker-Pickup/B7D

i'm gonna take a chance on that. for a tenner, you can't really go wrong tbh and if it's really that bad i'll put the old one back in and use the new one as a paper weight

idk how long this will take to finish, as i have the money to order the parts, but we're moving house in a few weeks, so it could all stop for a little bit

and now, for some pics of the guitar so far to keep you interested;

broken nut =[

body of the guitar

ever heard of muso lnstruments?
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Muso Lnstruments? Very interesting.
"Let me tell you something about Rebels, Obi-Wayne. They want you to come get them, they LOVE it."
love all the black.

now, all the setups i've done, the nut never needed adjustment or it was an adjustable floyd mount, so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question. But why not just leave the nut in when you file?
*insert witty statement here*
Quote by metalhead352
love all the black.

now, all the setups i've done, the nut never needed adjustment or it was an adjustable floyd mount, so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question. But why not just leave the nut in when you file?

thank yous ^^

i needed to file down the bottom of the nut to lower the action at that area, because it was the nut that was stopping the action from being any lower. the saddles are practically flat against the bridge and the action's still pretty damn high..

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
okay okay. i had a feeling right after I posted that. cant way to see it done though!
*insert witty statement here*
well, i've just come back from the Bulldog Bash bike fest, saw Status Quo there and it was feckin awesome

anyways, there was a parcel waiting for me when I came back, and inside was the knobs, nut and switch tip ^^

i would put some pics up, but my phone is just dead, so maybe when i get the pickguard, i'll take a few ^^

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Somehow I get the impression you got lucky with that guitar even being playable...any company that misspells "Instruments" on the headstock doesn't have very good quality control!

Should look good once you get everything on it. Good luck!
UPDATES!

Mockup of what it'll look like, because I was bored.

Put on the knobs, nut and switch tip, so here's some pics;

body of the guitar

another body shot

the nut

i should be getting some more money for my birthday in a few days, so i'll buy the pickguard then and install it hopefully before we go on holiday

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook