Hey guys whats up, been lurking the forums for a few hours now and i've finally decided to create this thread.

Well recently, i've been playing video games 24/7, and my mom asked me to get off the chair and do something productive once in awhile so i though .. what the heck .. i guess i'll try playing the guitar, since i love listening to music and stuff.

I've been going around my local music store looking at the beginner starter packs, you know, the ones that comes with the amp and stuff, basically everything you need to start playing. So the thing is, after looking at all of them cool guitars around the store i feel like i want to start learning the guitar seriously.

What im having problem now is, i dont feel like getting those cheap beginner starter packs are worth it because im afraid the quality of the guitar isnt good and i dont really trust the people in the store that much.

So well anyways, i'd like to know the difference between a beginner level guitar and lets say .. the ones that are 200~300 bucks expensive, of course the tone, quality of the guitar is definitely better then the starter packs but i remembered seeing a les paul junior for around 200~ which is around the same price as the starter packs albeit without the amp and the other goodies of course.

Wow this sure is long eh but what im trying to say is, why should i get the beginner level guitar for that price when i can get the LP junior for just about the same price, but without the amp of course.
How much can you spend? You could get a nice Roland Cube 75 or some low wattage tube amp. Also, the only other stuff you'll need is an instrument cable a few picks and a tuner. Good luck getting started!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

hey there buddy! Hm .. i guess around 600? +/- 50 im really serious about learning the guitar. So should i be going for the LP junior then? or are there better ones. By the way, i listen to every kind of music so i'll most probably be looking for a guitar that can play any kind of genre.
Well, people say strats are good for everything, but if you like rock/metal/goregrind then you'll want something with humbuckers, I use EMG's but the ones on the LP ought to be decent. Maybe see if you can get a Fender Mustang or even a used 6505+ amp... You'll absolutely rock!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Thanks for the info man! I'm going over to the music store this weekend so i'll decide by then.

well im still open to suggestions from the community though, if you guys have any other recommendations please! let me know (:
Good! Just don't get a Line 6 Spider III...To say the least people don't really like them here
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Good! Just don't get a Line 6 Spider III...To say the least people don't really like them here

This. Or a Marshall MG. DO NOT buy either of these. You can get better sounding stuff in the same price range.
Quote by Lord_Doku
The entire Spider line sounds like a trashcan getting humped by a fire truck while it's in the garbage disposal unit.

Quote by Kelly55
anal is quite the experience
The MG doesn't sound too bad to me. I quite like the od tones on them but they aren't very versatile. And it practically required you to get am extended warranty on them from what I've heard. Since you're starting and probably won't be playing in a band for awhile get a 10 to 30 watt modeling amp. Tubes aren't the best choice for beginners
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by StrykVladzimsky

will do bro.

Thanks for the input guys! Cant wait for the weekend ! Ok maybe one last question, pedals and effects, i know im just starting out but it'll be fun to have one of these though, again, any recommendations?
A HSS Strat like this or
this is a really good place to start. It's a standard design, durable, and it's got a humbucker and single coils so you can start getting used to both sounds. The Epi LP junior is all right, but for a beginner I'd be concerned about the set neck and the headstock. It's a more fragile instrument, and harder to fix if something goes wrong, plus it has fewer sound options.

For an amp, a modeling amp is often a really good starting point. A Cube 30 is my suggestion. Modeling amps attempt to recreate the sound of bigger, better amps, so you can get a bunch of sounds and decide what kinds of amps you like before actually spending money on a "real" one. The Cube sounds decent and is a lot simpler than the Vypyr, which is in the same category but more frustrating to use, especially for a beginner.

Don't get any pedals right away. If you end up with a modeling amp, it will have effects built in. If you don't, you're not going to know what you want effects-wise so any money spent there will be wasted. You will need a tuner, but most modeling amps have one built in.
Most modelling amps will have a few in them already.. The cool thing with the Roland Cubes is that they have a handful of Boss effects in them already, like the Mt-2 Metalzone, if I'm not mistaken. Go try 'em out!
Quote by luxeion

I think that a solid, reliable tuner pedal is the first pedal to buy, if your amp doesn't have a tuner built in. Also I second not buying a Marshall MG or a Line 6 Spider III/IV. Take a look at the Peavey Vypyr or the Roland Cube as others have suggested. Good luck bro!
ïd say you should get a USED guitar for around 200-300 as your first one, then you go above the newbie level, beginner guitars are usually very bad and i really dont recomend starting with one of those, also if you go used you can sell it again for the same price if you decide to give up playing in the future
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard