Just begun the process of looking around at some new electric guitars. I've been really into the likes of Chet Atkins, Doc Watson, Mississippi John Hurt, Rev Gary Davis, Merle Travis, etc. for a while now. For this reason I'm looking at semi-hollow guitars. I like the Gibson ES-339 but i don't have much experience in semi-hollows so I'm looking for some guitar suggestions and/or general tips/knowledge on semi-hollow bodied guitars.

Thanks Guys
Also, to finance this venture, I'm probably going to sell my Gibson Les Paul Classic. Roundabout 5 years old, tobacco sunburst all original. What do you suppose is a fair price for that?
I own this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/washburn/oscar_schmidt_oe30/index.html

This ofcourse is not my review, but it's a wonderful guitar. It's relatively cheap. I've owned two (Blue and Black), and they get the job done!

I play mostly alternative/hard rock with it, and it never fails me.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Kasch, your link failed.

Try out, and look over very carefully if you intend to buy, an Epiphone Dot. If you want to move up and get something a little better maybe look into an Epiphone Sheraton II.

The Dot has a fairly big neck, so if you dont like that look into an Ibanez AS73 or an AS93. (I'm assuming) they have thinner necks, and have a little more modern vibe.

There is also the Hagstrom Viking II (I believe) but thats around the $700 mark, I think.

All of these guitars will be bigger in size than the es-339. The es-339 is more on the electric guitar side of semi-hollows than the other ones I mentioned. And I think Gibson makes the only guitar of that particular style.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Aug 10, 2011,
a '66 Gretsch Country Gentleman is my dream guitar
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
OP, you're asking us to recommend a semi-hollow, but I feel you should be looking for a fully-hollow to suit your needs.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Can we get a budget? You say you play Chet Atkins, LOOK AT A GRETSCH!

I personally like the new gibson es-335s. They might be 339s but I'm not sure. GC sells em for 1,999USD and they are awesome.
Ya, Man! A country gentleman would be my dream guitar too! The budget is whatever i can get out of the les paul, holding out for $1000 maybe?, plus $600 max out of pocket. I did consider fully hollow bodied electrics but i'd still like to be able to crossover to classic rock now and again. I know it's possible with the fully hollow, ted nugent etc, but no doubt it'd be easier with a semi.
Well, go for a Gretsch then, or an ES-335, or an ES-339, in, IMO, what would be best to just ok for you.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by Captain_Ahab
. I did consider fully hollow bodied electrics but i'd still like to be able to crossover to classic rock now and again. I know it's possible with the fully hollow, ted nugent etc, but no doubt it'd be easier with a semi.

I reckon you should go a gretsch of some kind- you'll be able to get those chet atkins tones plus some decent rock. check out the tone in these for versatility-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msb6sUehUtY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQksF8peqaM
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
Quote by Steph Bets
I reckon you should go a gretsch of some kind- you'll be able to get those chet atkins tones plus some decent rock. check out the tone in these for versatility-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msb6sUehUtY

Wow! That song sounded bad ass! When I checked out the rest of the songs, I was disappointed. I love that Grestch!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by randomhero65
Wow! That song sounded bad ass! When I checked out the rest of the songs, I was disappointed. I love that Grestch!

don't be disappointed! they are epic! yeah I've been lusting after a gretsch since I was 14 thanks to that guy! can't justify the price unfortunately... they're about 6G in Aus.

But do try one!
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
I love my 1999 MIK Epi Sheraton II. The thing is solid as a rock, sounds good plugged in but even better unplugged (which is really how I use it more often than not), looks great and only cost $350 used. If I had the cash to upgrade at this point I'd go for a Gibson ES-137 instead of the 335 only because it's a bit of an updated look. The $2050 standard model has the 498/490 pups that may be too hot for TS but the ES-137 Custom that goes for around $2850 has a varitone switch and the 57 classic humbuckers.
The Hofner VeryThin CT (or standard) is a great lesser known semi-hollow. I think the CT destroys similarly priced Epiphones and in feel and sound. Never played the standard, but I'd imagine it's an amazing, if overlooked instrument.
CheapGuitarists.com - new site for the budget minded or beginner guitarist!

"He who hath pizza shall never die in vain" ~ Lord Cheesus Crust