Hi guys,

Quick question, i'm trying to play the lead lick from the velvet revolver song fall to pieces. I Can't view tabs because its blocked in this country....

I have a problem when I play it using my pinky my index finger / 2nd finger shoot off the fret board straight outwards. If i try to forcefully pull my index finger back in close to fretboard while I play i find my pinky struggles to keep hitting notes.

I think its a pinky independence problem I want to know do any of you guys have any advice / exercises i can do? I tried playing simple scale 4th fret to 5th fret using my ring finger and pinky only to play it down the strings and again my first finger shoots out and i have to try forcefully pull it back to the fretboard which messes me up hardcore and it keeps wanting to shoot out.

Any advice?
To get more pinky independence? Hold your middle finger on the 5th fret of the D string, then go up and down all of the strings on the 6th and 7th frets with your ring finger and pinky without lifting up your middle finger. Also, do some basic tapping licks with your pinky instead of your index. Like the classic 19-12-15 EVH lick. Ex. The main solo from "One" by Metallica.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
To get more pinky independence? Hold your middle finger on the 5th fret of the D string, then go up and down all of the strings on the 6th and 7th frets with your ring finger and pinky without lifting up your middle finger. Also, do some basic tapping licks with your pinky instead of your index. Like the classic 19-12-15 EVH lick. Ex. The main solo from "One" by Metallica.

Thanks will try it. I need to stop my damn index finger flying off whenever I use my pinky. Should I try conciously stop it happening? seems really difficult.
Quote by Captshiznit
Thanks will try it. I need to stop my damn index finger flying off whenever I use my pinky. Should I try conciously stop it happening? seems really difficult.

I tried to stop this just so I could play faster by eliminating extra motion. I did this off the fifth fret, but that doesn't really matter.

Ex. For pinky.
G|--------5
D|---5-8---8

Play this in straight 8th notes, and try to eliminate as much motion as you can while keeping your index on the D 5th fret when you play the 8th fret. I wish I could make this clearer, and I hope this helps.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
I tried to stop this just so I could play faster by eliminating extra motion. I did this off the fifth fret, but that doesn't really matter.

Ex. For pinky.
G|--------5
D|---5-8---8

Play this in straight 8th notes, and try to eliminate as much motion as you can while keeping your index on the D 5th fret when you play the 8th fret. I wish I could make this clearer, and I hope this helps.

Thanks will try it! proper hard to keep other fingers from moving though. Only my pinky is one that causes it baaaaaah!
Quote by Freepower
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ

This is what you need.

Cheers, seen it already just looking for more advice regarding only pinky. Seems to be connected to my index finger (in some wierd fashion) and when i use pinky to play riff/note whatever it flies off fretboard (index finger)
Don't do anything forcefully. Finger independence is about coordination, not strength. Slow down, isolate the problem and try to figure out what's causing the "hitch" in your fretting hand. Once you know where the problem is you'll be at least 50% of the way to solving it. You're right, consciously stopping it from happening will be difficult, but your fingers will only do what your brain tells them to do, so consciously is pretty much your only option unless you want to risk hurting yourself.