If you were to play a standard A minor Pentatonic lick and then throw in a major 6th and emphasize it and then resolve the whole lick on an A note would you consider the lick as " Combining major and minor pentatonic" because of the major 6th. Or is it best to consider it as " Combining major and minor pentatonic only if use incorporate the major 3rd.
It's just using an accidental.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
You'd be using the bebop minor scale if you did that. The bebop minor scale is the major & minor pentatonic combined. It's a great scale I use it all the time.
Rock [James] Roll
Quote by Jiimmyyy
You'd be using the bebop minor scale if you did that. The bebop minor scale is the major & minor pentatonic combined. It's a great scale I use it all the time.

Whoa, buddy. Let's keep this thing simple: he's making a situational decision to use a certain note in a certain context. It doesn't mean he's conforming to a whole new scale.

EDIT: And honestly, if anything, he'd be using an element of the Melodic Minor.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Last edited by soviet_ska at Aug 10, 2011,
Well using the minor pentatonic with a raised 6th (major 6th) 'could' be called a Dorian Pentatonic. BUT to avoid confusion as it's not modal (just a name for the SCALE) it's just minor pentatonic with an accidental.

As for the Bebop scale Jimmy mentioned, well - it's only 'Bebop Dorian' if it has a major + minor 7th.
I know I get all confused on what to call it. Ppl say Its combining major/minor, some say dorian, some say accidental. WTH!?!

I guess it all depends on the context of the harmony and the whole structure of the chords behind the melody like people say.
Its probably just an accidental, as your not using an entirely new scale, just one chord from another scale.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Unreal T
I know I get all confused on what to call it. Ppl say Its combining major/minor, some say dorian, some say accidental. WTH!?!

I guess it all depends on the context of the harmony and the whole structure of the chords behind the melody like people say.

Bingo
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK