I have $2000 saved up after working all summer and don't know if i should buy a gibson SG standard or a new amp. I LOVE SG's and haved played on the standard and fell in love with that too, so i'm lookin at the gibson sg standard. Or i could buy a decent amp head and build a cab for it. I'm playing through a fender hot rod deluxe and use a jekyll and hyde pedal for my distortion(pretty great tone for a pedal), and my family tells me to wait until i graduate to upgrade the amp.

What do you guys think? Gibson SG Standard or a new amp?
Have you tried checking used prices on sites like ebay? You may be able to afford both.....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Here's how I'd decide. Which are you happier with, your playing or your tone? If you think your tone is great but you need to play better, get a guitar. If you're playing well, but it doesn't sound right, get an amp.

Also, the both thing. With two grand I could get an SG Standard, a good Marshall or Hiwatt clone and a pretty sweet cab, so I don't see why you have to choose, unless you're set on buying new.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
well i just found a 2008 sg about an hour and a hlaf away for me for $895 that i' could probably knock down to 800. It kinda bums me cause i think it'd be nice and rewarding to weild a brand new guitar. i'm waiting for him to reply back if he even can, as far as i know he's french
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Here's how I'd decide. Which are you happier with, your playing or your tone? If you think your tone is great but you need to play better, get a guitar. If you're playing well, but it doesn't sound right, get an amp.

Also, the both thing. With two grand I could get an SG Standard, a good Marshall or Hiwatt clone and a pretty sweet cab, so I don't see why you have to choose, unless you're set on buying new.

I second this.
Quote by Jmoarguitar
well i just found a 2008 sg about an hour and a hlaf away for me for $895 that i' could probably knock down to 800. It kinda bums me cause i think it'd be nice and rewarding to weild a brand new guitar. i'm waiting for him to reply back if he even can, as far as i know he's french

Vast majority of French speak english as well, this is Canada after all.
Used guitars have more intrigue to me. They already have a good history, your just a part of it for a while. Plus you get usually the same thing with a few dings for way cheaper. Try and gouge this guy lol. Im from alberta and dont like french cdns. They took r jobs!

No credit card.... Get a prepaid one. Several stores offer them and your bank may as well. Or use paypal, I think you can link your bank account to it w/o a CC.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Aug 10, 2011,
yeah get both

do you really need a halfstack?

you could get some pretty good combos for $1000
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Check out the Gibson Faded SG I think they go for like $700 new. A lot of people rag on them for some reason, but they feel and play better than any Standard that I have played. They need new pups though.

That's just a suggestion of course... What matters is what feels good in YOUR hands, not mine.

That said, I think you should only get a new guitar if you get a quality amp as well. You have the budget for both, but if for some reason you can only get one... get a quality amp.
I've collected a bunch of guitars over the years to "get different tones". But recently I realized that no matter how many guitars I had, they all sounded mediocre through my cheap amp. So I sold all but two of my guitars and picked up a used Marshall JCM2000 and two used Marshall 1965 cabinets.

I'm way more happy now with only two guitars and a good amp vs. six guitars and a cheap amp. If you asked me a year ago I would have said get the guitar. But now I'd definitely say get the amp. (or go used and try to get both!)
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by OliOsbourne
yeah get both

do you really need a halfstack?

you could get some pretty good combos for $1000

He HAS a pretty good combo
Thanks a lot guys! I'm on the search for a jcm800 head and i think i found one i could get for 1000, i could always use my fender for cleans since it's a beaut for that stuff. That said i can likely buy a used gibson sg too. Apparently i just needed you guys to drill that idea into my stubborn head!