Hello, Ive been playing guitar for about 14 months now and although i believe im a pretty good player, i would like to take my playing to the next level. I can sit down with a metronome and analyse my technique and tweak it but i feel that sitting down with a professional would strongly help my playing.

I wondering if anybody could give me an insight into how taking lessons helped them and how they could benefit me.

I will probably be taking lessons from a guy called des sherwood who was considered to be ozzy osbournes guitarist at one point.

http://www.dessherwood.co.uk/

So yes, if anyone has any advice, opinions etc about lessons then please type away.
Don't know who that is, but I still say you should do it. He seems a little full of himself on his website, but hell, Yngwie is pretty full of himself too. :P

You could learn a lot from a teacher. Just make sure his pricing isn't ridiculous.
Quote by Cloudeater7
Don't know who that is, but I still say you should do it. He seems a little full of himself on his website, but hell, Yngwie is pretty full of himself too. :P

You could learn a lot from a teacher. Just make sure his pricing isn't ridiculous.

He only charges £20 an hour
Quote by mrbabo91
He only charges £20 an hour

Based on the prices here in Southern California, that is a pretty good deal, haha. Most I have seen around my area charge $60/hour (42ish euros?). I say give it a shot!
I went to free lessons from a session guitarist friend when I first started guitar for about 6 months until I moved away and boy was it a great grounding and advanced me heaps. It also changed the way I played and my attitude. Like it helps with all the little things you wouldn't normally think about. I would highly recommend lessons to advance your playing.
You should've started with a tutor, but better late than never. I unhesitatingly say "Do it!". Even if he is a bit of arrogant tool, he probably knows what he's doing. Worst case scenario, he doesn't teach anything guitar-related but you learn what to look for in a teacher and how to not be a terrible person. Win-win all-round.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Take lessons.

Look, if you don't feel like you're getting much out of them, then you can stop taking them for a while.
Quote by Cloudeater7

Yngwie also completely sucks at teaching guitar, which means being a good musician/guitarist does not equal being a good teacher.

Anyways the only way to know whether or not he is the teacher for you is to give him a try for a few lessons and see what it feels like. I would never really trust anyone's site when looking for a product or service, as they will always try to sell their product/service to you above all other things. Do you know anyone personally that has had lessons from him?

Also, it's never too late to get lessons, whether you are a beginner starting out, or an intermediate player wanting to get better. I think the only thing lessons can do to you is make you a better musician/guitarist. In fact, Randy Rhoads himself was still taking lessons from other people while he was on tour in his early days, because he was afraid of not progressing everyday, IIRC.

I would say do it, he seems reasonable, and seems perfectly qualified, even as a teacher (but then again I wouldn't really trust his site). If his teaching style is not for you, then just quit his lessons and find someone else. Good luck.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 11, 2011,
60$ and hour??? my dude charges 15 although i havent learned anything from him except sight reading which he didnt really show me. Ive learned everything myself pretty much so it really depends on the teacher.
I went to a guitar teacher after playing for 10months.
He only charged $20 (Australian) an hour. At the time i only wanted to learn metal, but he taught me a lot of classical techniques (fingerpicking, chords etc etc) and i thank him hugely for it because i now love classical music and it takes a big majority of my playing style. I stopped going after 2months or so because he felt there wasn't any more he could teach me that i wouldn't be able to learn by myself.