Poll: Best heavy metal amp under £600 (All heads)
Poll Options
View poll results: Best heavy metal amp under £600 (All heads)
Bugera 333XL
6 9%
Marshall DSL 100
5 8%
Laney GH50L
4 6%
Engl Blackmore (Could maybe save up enough if it's a much better option)
20 31%
Peavey XXX (Very small chance)
3 5%
Peavey 6505+
21 33%
Other (Post below)
5 8%
Voters: 64.
Page 1 of 2
Hi UG,

Right. I made a forum on what amps would be good for me and I got a few suggestions. So now, I thought I would see which one you thought were best.

Guitar: Jackson demmelition King v (EMG 81/60)
Money: £400 - £600 (Up to £900 if combo)
Music I play: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth are the main ones. Sometimes Iron Maiden, Guns n roses, Rammstein. So basically Heavy metal and hard rock.

Needs to have good cleans and better distortion. I play at loud bedroom volumes (Put it this way, when my friend was shouting at me for the volume as loud as he could, I couldn't hear him :P ) So it needs to sound good at low-ish volumes

Thanks alot for all your help
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Last edited by UKMaster at Aug 10, 2011,
Nothing can beat the 6505+.... NOTHING...
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
I've heard the cleans on the 6505+ aren't very good but the heavy stuff apparently does sound pretty good. And by the way, before anyone says it, I can't try out these amps, the nearest place that has them is probably about 200 miles away
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
In the Gear Ad's section someone is selling a Engl Fireball for £550 or £800 with cab. Pretty decent deal I think!
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Ibanez RGA7
Washburn KC-40V
Fender Mexican Strat
Axe FX 2
Peavey 6505
Laney 4x12 (V30's)
Samson PB10 Pro
TC Electronics G Major 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362
Korg DTR-2000
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Quote by Bastard Son
In the Gear Ad's section someone is selling a Engl Fireball for £550 or £800 with cab. Pretty decent deal I think!

Cheers I'll go there now. Was actually looking to buy a fireball until setting up the new thread!
Can you give a link to the gear adds site?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by losing battle
For the bands you listed hands down the marshall.

Cheers. I saw a really good deal for it on ebay but I missed out because it only had about 20s left when I saw it. I think it was a dsl100 with a Marshall 1960a cab and it only went for £500! I'm very cautious with money so I could just bid on it without thinking about it and unfortunately, it was too late
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275394&page=31&pp=20

Post # 609

Edit: By the way this isn't shamless plugging by any means. I emailed the guy yesterday asking if it was still for sale as I was interested :P
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Ibanez RGA7
Washburn KC-40V
Fender Mexican Strat
Axe FX 2
Peavey 6505
Laney 4x12 (V30's)
Samson PB10 Pro
TC Electronics G Major 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362
Korg DTR-2000
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Last edited by Bastard Son at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by Bastard Son
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275394&page=31&pp=20

Post # 609

Edit: By the way this isn't shamless plugging by any means. I emailed the guy yesterday asking if it was still for sale as I was interested :P

Ye I saw the ad in the gear ads Thanks for the help though. NOt sure if that's such an amazing deal really. You can buy a new one for around £750 and I've seen them on ebay before for around the same price. But, I may buy it

Thanks alot
No problem man, my vote definatly goes to Engl for the bands you play. Good luck
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Ibanez RGA7
Washburn KC-40V
Fender Mexican Strat
Axe FX 2
Peavey 6505
Laney 4x12 (V30's)
Samson PB10 Pro
TC Electronics G Major 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362
Korg DTR-2000
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Hmm only 1 vote for the Bugera 333xl? For some reason I expected more hahaa. I've heard it sounds amazing
Quote by Bastard Son
No problem man, my vote definatly goes to Engl for the bands you play. Good luck

Ye when I first heard it on youtube I was like 'Ok I'm getting this now' but there are too many amps to choose from!! Thanks alot

EDIT: Sorry do you mean the Fireball or the Blackmore?!
Last edited by UKMaster at Aug 10, 2011,
Hmm seems the Peavey 6505 is very popular. I'm just worried about the cleans! Are they manageable or are they pretty dull?
Quote by UKMaster
Hmm seems the Peavey 6505 is very popular. I'm just worried about the cleans! Are they manageable or are they pretty dull?

If you put some chorus or delay, it helps.

Here's a guy that's running it with an EQ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBBgfljFCdk

And if you go for the combo, PLEASE swap out the speaker.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Nah these are only gunna be heads. I'm getting either a Marshall 4x12 or a zilla cab so it's all good Thanks for the vid. It doesn't sound too bad and I have a chorus pedal anyway
Sorry but the Engl Blackmore is now off the list. I only found one used when I looked and there aren't any near me under £800.
I'd take the Laney to be honest, great amps, fantastic JCM 800 vibe. much better than modern marshalls. You'd need an OD obviously, but it would be perfect for that boosted Marshall thrash sound.

And please stop suggesting 6505 just because it says 'Metal' in the thread title.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Most of the bands you listed use/have used marshalls at one point.

Thus i'm going to say the laney gh50l would be a good option because its a marshall style amp, sounds good and is literally cheap as chips especially used!

Also laney aor heads too
Laney GH50 + Decent Marshall cab...

Or for something different with a slightly modern vibe, ENGL Screamer and a nice tasty boost.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Sorry guys but I need to ask another quick question. Is the Randall RS412KHX a good cab? I can't find reviews for it but I have found one for half price which I can afford. It's a 4x12 with 2 V30's and 2 G12T-75's. It sounds like a good deal
Well I haven't tried it personally, but V30's are pretty standard for metal, and G12T-75's are orientated for metal as well I think. I assume they'd mix fairly well.

Do you really need a 4x12? It'd be a bit of a pain to lug around if you're gigging, you could probably get a really good 2x12 for the price, and It would easily have enough bottom end.

EDIT: And please don't get the 6505 just because of the poll. Honestly it doesn't suit the bands you want that well. Like all the bands you listed except Rammstein probably use or have used Hot Rodded Marshalls. Therefore you want a British flavoured amp with EL34's, maybe EL84's.

Check out the Laney mentioned, as well as the Laney AOR. The Marshall DSL could work although I much prefer the Laney, a single channel JCM 800 if you can find one used would be perfect.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Last edited by robbo546hall at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by robbo546hall
Well I haven't tried it personally, but V30's are pretty standard for metal, and G12T-75's are orientated for metal as well I think. I assume they'd mix fairly well.

Do you really need a 4x12? It'd be a bit of a pain to lug around if you're gigging, you could probably get a really good 2x12 for the price, and It would easily have enough bottom end.

EDIT: And please don't get the 6505 just because of the poll. Honestly it doesn't suit the bands you want that well. Like all the bands you listed except Rammstein probably use or have used Hot Rodded Marshalls. Therefore you want a British flavoured amp with EL34's, maybe EL84's.

Check out the Laney mentioned, as well as the Laney AOR. The Marshall DSL could work although I much prefer the Laney, a single channel JCM 800 if you can find one used would be perfect.

Ye I was thinking that aswell. I think people just saw the words Heavy Metal and thought the peavey was best.

About the cab, I'm not in a band and therefore don't gig. I'm just going to put it in one place when I get it and it's just going to stay there! The only 2x12's I can really afford is either something like an Orange PPC212 or a Zilla cab but I just thought a 4x12 would sound a bit better because it's pushing more air. And it seems like a really good deal so I could maybe sell it in the future?

I would get a JCM 800 but I need a clean channel. I tried to find a 2 channel JCM 800 (2010 I believe it was called) but I could find any used. I've listened to some sound demos of the Laney and it does sound pretty good.
First off, go here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0NIeOoiBI

If that does not sell you on the 6505, nothing will. He does tons of amp demos, so you can find just about anything you want to hear.

I have a 6505 going through a 2X12 cab with a V30 and GT12-T75. It's the poop! The 2 speakers in combination sound amazing.
I use an EQ just for some more tuning, but I do that with every amp. As far as volume, it sounds good low as well as deafening. I put this setup on 5 in my house and nearly shat myself LOL. It's ****ing loud.

The Plus will give you more eq in the rhythm channel for your clean sound.
Last edited by D_M_I at Aug 12, 2011,
of your list, the 333xl is the best amp for your price.
If looking at the 6505+ (whos cleans suck IF you want to make use of the crunch channel) take a look at the Bugera 6262.

If you were in the US, I would have said Carvin V3....but I don't know if they ship overseas...at a reasonable fee.

The 6505+ is a nice head, but not the tone of the bands you listed. The cleans CAN be good, but not if you want to make good use of the crunch half of that channel (that whole shared gain thing sucks)

The 333xl will get you closer to the tones you mentioned, AND has a nice SEPARATE clean channel. Best bang for your buck.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson

The 6505+ is a nice head, but not the tone of the bands you listed. The cleans CAN be good, but not if you want to make good use of the crunch half of that channel (that whole shared gain thing sucks)

I'm not sure if you're confusing the 6505 and the Plus version. The plus has seperate eq and gain for both channels. If a clean channel and a distotion channel is what is sought, then the Plus is fine. Look at the rhythm ch as clean, with the option of crunch. Not a crunch ch with the option of clean. Again, I may be reading you wrong, sorry. I doubt he would want, or expect, a 3 ch option with this head. I suppose it can be used in that way, but not likely.
blackmore if you can stretch. laney if you can't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I voted for the DSL. Definitely get that or the Laney.

Don't get the Peavey. Probably shouldn't have even put it on the poll. It has the completely wrong vibe for what you want to do. And the fact that it has so many votes, despite what you described in your OP, makes me at UG.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
nice part of the world you live in

not far from me :P
Fender MIM strat, customshop '69 pickups
Vintage Advanced Av1
Vintage VEC500MP electro acoustic
Marshall Class 5
Kustom HV65 amp
EHX little big muff
Boss Micro Br Br80
^^ ahahaha i just checked the poll now (i hadn't voted, so i had to click to see it).

6505's in the lead
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^by 4 over the engl
^ and by 10 over the laney!

i mean the laney gh is basically a hotrodded jcm800. which is what those thrash bands probably used. and maiden and gnr.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^What would you vote?
6505 seems to be the answer to everything in this forum
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
The Engl is nice but I don't think you're looking at his price range. It's $600 more than a 6505 (new pricing). Just because something is popular doesn't make it bad. I actually own a 6505 and can tell you, it will do exactly what he wants. It will also do heavier stuff too. Are there better choices? Always, since it's completely based on individual tastes. People hate sometimes, but there is a reason it's the highest in votes. For the choices and budget given, it's the best amp.
^ he's in the UK. US prices don't apply- the blackmore is likely to be cheaper than the 6505, and the laney and dsl are a lot less, and closer to what he wants.

I wouldn't say the 6505 won't do what he wants at all, but there are other options which cost less which'll do it better, if you ask me.

Quote by kutless999
^What would you vote?

blackmore if he can stretch, laney if he can't. maybe dsl if he needs the clean channel (and can't stretch to the blackmore).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 13, 2011,
I voted the laney. Everyone votes the 6505 because they probably just dont know about the laney.
yeah

I actually didn't vote because I wanted to vote for a couple of options, so i just posted
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
laneys are cheap as chips here.
When i actually have money it going to be hard not to get one which is worrying since space is a concern now i've moved out of my parents house where i had a big bedroom and a spare room for my crap
Page 1 of 2