This is inspired by Jackal58's thread.

I was reading that people with down syndrome are a lot less likely to develop cancer. I was wondering if there's a way to somehow use the gene that causes this to help lower the risk of getting cancer for the entire population.

Is this possible, or am I just being an idiot?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Then wouldn't that give those people Down Syndrome or am I talking out of my ass?
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
^ No, that's a gene..Genes make up chromosomes (Somewhat, as they're portion of DNA). Downs syndrome is a trisomy 21, meaning there's a sequence of nucleotides somewhere along the line that is causing an extra chromosome.

OP, you're not really being an idiot, you're just throwing out possibilities with no real knowledge of how these things work.
Last edited by severed-metal at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by Gorelord666
Then wouldn't that give those people Down Syndrome or am I talking out of my ass?

That's why I was saying that they could find the specific gene that causes this to happen, and then use that as the cancer treatment. I know that it would be really hard to do that, but I'm just throwing it out there to see what the pit has to say.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Im sure that most professionals would of looked into it. They look into very strange things when it comes to curing disease... like they inject disease into strange animals to see if they get it, and if not they see why not and crap.... but they probably haved looked into the Downs syndrome thing before or are going to or something..
So...give everyone Trisomy 21?

That's the plan?

I'll take my chances with cancer.
Quote by jetfuel495
In some countries, they call that science!

Is late. Doctor Domincov has had many sips of vodka. The kremlin calls, saying everyone must have Syndrome's Down is cure for cancer. Domincov realizes he has no phone, as phone is capitalist swine invention, and resolves to drink less.

Such is life in Moscow.
Last edited by blake1221 at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
This is inspired by Jackal58's thread.

I was reading that people with down syndrome are a lot less likely to develop cancer. I was wondering if there's a way to somehow use the gene that causes this to help lower the risk of getting cancer for the entire population.

Is this possible, or am I just being an idiot?

Well i guess if you could 'genetically modify' people with the gene, or just have people who already have the allele mate and reproduce you theoretically create a species of human who is immune to cancer, which would technically be manipulating evolution....
But you'll have many more cases of people with down syndrome.

But IDK a lot about biology and how that all works, and I donno how many 'experts' you'll come across on this subject on this site

EDIT: I love you blake

And at the person who said it would give everyone down syndrome...
No it wouldn't neccessarily. I think the allele for DS is recessed, or not dominant. So it's unlikely that the offspring of a parent who has the gene will be born with Down Syndrome
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by jetfuel495
In some countries, they call that science!

Nah, it's called voodoo in those places.
You'll probably find they need a certain amount of "evidence" for a specific thing to help a cure before they can put REAL time and money into it... there is a probably a massive procedure that has to be done to get something to be looked into
Quote by vicarious46
No it wouldn't neccessarily. I think the allele for DS is recessed, or not dominant. So it's unlikely that the offspring of a parent who has the gene will be born with Down Syndrome

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081230123814AAUfMLE

Quote by captaincrunk
People with downs don't usually live terribly long anyway, which is probably largely responsible for the stats.

It's really a shame. I've dealt with a fair number of people with Downs Syndrome and a few were overly emotional, and the others were really good people with really only an ability to help other people.

Such is life. Heart is usually the cause of death, unfortunately.
Quote by blake1221
Is late. Doctor Domincov has had many sips of vodka. The kremlin calls, saying everyone must have Syndrome's Down is cure for cancer. Domincov realizes he has no phone, as phone is capitalist swine invention, and resolves to drink less.

Such is life in Moscow.

Assuming that Down Syndrome does help prevent cancer, and is the result of a gene that we can isolate, then we could attempt to use gene therapy in cancer treatments. But, if there are negative results, such as people developing Down Syndrome...

And if the cancer prevention exists only because of the chromosome alterations and not in genes, then such treatment would be impossible.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Aug 10, 2011,
Downs syndrome is caused by an additional chromosome, right? That's just more of the same genes, not some super cancer-resistant gene.
Quote by blake1221
So...give everyone Trisomy 21?

That's the plan?

I'll take my chances with cancer.

I'm not saying that they should give everyone down syndrome, I'm saying that it might be possible to modify it in a way that reduces the chances of developing cancer.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by severed-metal
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081230123814AAUfMLE

It's really a shame. I've dealt with a fair number of people with Downs Syndrome and a few were overly emotional, and the others were really good people with really only an ability to help other people.

Such is life. Heart is usually the cause of death, unfortunately.

Thanks for the post, like I said I don't really know that much bout Biology, just what I remember from my biology class in high school.
So wouldn't that make it really hard to manipulate meiosis, so that 21st Chromosomes don't split?
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I'm not saying that they should give everyone down syndrome, I'm saying that it might be possible to modify it in a way that reduces the chances of developing cancer.

How? How would that even begin to be possible? What would be special about downs that you could replicate in the general population that would result in a more cancer resistant populace?
Quote by vicarious46

I'm not sure if Downs is caused by a specific allele. IIRC it's caused by an error in meiosis where one chromosome fails to split properly. When the gamete finds another to make a fetus, it will have an abnormal amount of chromosomes.
Quote by vicarious46
Thanks for the post, like I said I don't really know that much bout Biology, just what I remember from my biology class in high school.
So wouldn't that make it really hard to manipulate meiosis, so that 21st Chromosomes don't split?

No problem. We all need to learn.

It would be very difficult, at this point not even fathomable, to manipulate meiosis.
Quote by captaincrunk
How? How would that even begin to be possible? What would be special about downs that you could replicate in the general population that would result in a more cancer resistant populace?

Look at Jackal's thread. They modified HIV to treat leukemia, so I'm saying that this would be possible.

I think that potentially curing cancer is pretty special.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Look at Jackal's thread. They modified HIV to treat leukemia, so I'm saying that this would be possible.

I modified my car stereo. I guess I should go apply that to cancer research since it's all basically the same, right?

Seriously? Do you just not know what downs is or something? Or not know what cancer is?
Quote by severed-metal
No problem. We all need to learn.

It would be very difficult, at this point not even fathomable, to manipulate meiosis.

Well, I guess thats the answer to your thread Irish_Punk

@Captain Crunk: Relax man, he had a question and was looking for the answer, he didn't know so he asked the pit for their input. How you supposed to learn if you don't ask questions?
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Last edited by vicarious46 at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by vicarious46
@Captain Crunk: Relax man, he had a question and was looking for the answer, he didn't know so he asked the pit for their input. How you supposed to learn if you don't ask questions?

We answered it. We told him that downs is trisomy 21 and not something you can just "give" people. He still thinks you can "adapt down syndrome to cure cancer".
Quote by blake1221

Such is life in Moscow.

Good work, comrade you will be exempt from counting trees in Serbia.
The closest thing I've ever seen was an attempt to use stem cells from individuals with downs to cause tumors in mice that didn't grow blood vessels (because the downs cells for some reason don't). It could just be linked to having twice the emphasis on cancer fighting genes (or genes that just happen to make it difficult to acquire dangerous cancers).
Quote by MakinLattes
That sounds more like prevention or control, not curing.

Exactly, and it would just be gene therapy really. We didn't learn anything about cancer, just about angiogenesis (making blood vessels essentially). I only know what I know because my brother had downs.