I'm recording some stuff but im lacking bass in my songs.. so i figured i'd just go buy one but i do not want to spend a ton because im not interested in actually playing bass, just recording with one every so often. any suggestions for a cheap as hell bass that isnt too crappy?

second, i only have one guitar amp, its a 30W peavey. idk the model but it has a ton of settings.. can bass guitars have good tones on guitar amps? if so, how can i get a good tone?

thanks guys
Never never never use a bass through a guitar amp, the guitar amp isn't built for the low frequencies and you'll fry your amp.

Look at this thread, it has plenty of cheap basses you can look through which are some of your best choices at this point. Also check out some cheap amps. Maybe even see if you can find some used gear for about $300 or so which will get you a decent enough rig for recording.

Theres also an amazing quote by FatalGear41 in that thread, you should give it a quick read
[Insert something clever here]
Some guitar amps can sound great for bass, but probably 80% of the time you'll get a better tone just going direct in.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Dont fry your amp. But a 20 dollar Ebay bass and a good solid bass amp, and youll be better off.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Ibanez is best bang for your buck.
ESP makes some good starters too especailly if you are into foreign shapes.

If you're recording then direct out through your guitar amp will work. If not you will probably blow your speakers unless you're really quiet. Even then you're tone will probably suck. You can get an Ibanez starter kit with an amp for about 150-200ish.
Your wanting one to record with.
The main question is HOW your recording.
DI's etc. would probably be the way to go and if you want more quality go tech 21.

Micing a 30w bass amp for recording, even home recordings IMO would sound too incredibly thin and high endy considering most 30w practice amps have shit speakers that are 8" or smaller.
Quote by FatalGear41
And on the sixth day, the Lord God did sayeth unto the world; "Let there not be found amongst you one who maketh yet another goddamned thread asking if thou shalt play thy bass through a guitar amp. For the answer is and forever shall be no; thou shalt not do it; for it is an abomination and shalt destroy thine guitar amp in the course of time."

And the people did rejoice.

So let it be written; so let it be done.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
For the love of God, don’t do this. It may be ok for a while, but one day, the heavens will open and your amp will be destroyed by the power of God. Get a bass amp; it’s what they’re there for. As an added plus, guitars sound better through them too. Bass amps are designed to handle the lower frequencies. Guitar amps are not.

For a cheap bass, go to eBay, Amazon or Craigslist and buy the cheapest one they have.
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
This probably isnt too relevant right now, but you should know that you can run a bass through a guitar head with no problems at all, its just that guitar speakers generally cant handle bass frequencies and at best will wear out over time, at worst will blow almost instantly
I dont know what to put in here!
Quote by tofuhead
Your wanting one to record with.
The main question is HOW your recording.
DI's etc. would probably be the way to go and if you want more quality go tech 21.

Micing a 30w bass amp for recording, even home recordings IMO would sound too incredibly thin and high endy considering most 30w practice amps have shit speakers that are 8" or smaller.

This pretty much, if you can use VSTs or something, DI and pass the signal through whatever's necessary.
Professional lurker since 2009.