So im right now in a bid dilemma of selling all my boutique pedals and take the P.A route for bedroom ( i.e digidesign eleven rack straight in to powered studio monitor or powered speaker ) or keeping the pedals i already have and get a low wattage tube amp . my pedals are mainly distortions and fuzz . i like the look and idea of a pedalboard too . i have the pedals so selling would mean a lost for me . i d rather keep cause i already have them anbd dont need money .

the only thing that keep me form those multi fx .. is that i dont use 1/10 of the unit ( like axe fx etc.. , im only gonna use the amp sim .. not the effects ) . never been a big effect guy ..

need to be portable .. need to handle pedals very well . if possible need to be playable at bedroom voume without sounding like thin can ( fizz coming from the tube not being push enough ) .

i think 1x12 would be the best ( 12 inch has greater low end for punk rock and metal ) . can be 10 inch too ..

here the pedal i already have ..

- mi audio crunch box ( for marshall type distortion)

- r3fx dual resistafier ( similar to a mesa boogie dual rectifier )

- EHX big muff pi with tone wicker . ( fuzz to play some grunge , early sabbath )

so i would just need a decent practice tube amp that take pedal well to play my pedals .

Not too expensive if possible . id like to keep it under 400 .. i know its not much but that would be my budget .. i can stretch .. since i have no real limit of budget . would be perfect if it could handle small practice with a drummer eventually .

i like mesa boogie and marshall .. but i cant lug a 80 pounds combo + they are all 50/100 watts ) . i had 2 hernia surgery and need to keep weight reasonable .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 10, 2011,
After reading this I would suggest to keep the pedals, as you get more versatility and customization off of single pedals as apposed to what is provided on the one ME unit, plus you don't want to make a loss on it.

There quite a few good cheap smaller all-tube amps out of the market at the moment. I would look at maybe a Blackstar HT-5, Vox AC4TV and I think Blackheart also make some small valve combo's/mini stacks. On the cheaper end is the Bugera 5. Effects pedals should work well on all of them especially when they are given a free spirited turn of the volume pot...
Last edited by ibanart300 at Aug 10, 2011,
vht special 6 ultra. i have it, i love it. i use my mxr full bore for my distortion and then an mxr 10 band eq to shape it to exactly what i want. excepts pedals great and is a really great amp. inexpensive and you could get it as a head or combo. its a nice little amp and would be a great option for you.

^ the ht5 is not all tube btw. its a hybrid
How are you using the distortions and fuzz? Are you going to overdrive an amp anyway and boost and shape with your pedals or do you want a clean amp where the entirety of your dirt comes from the pedals themselves?

If it's the latter, you'll actually want a bigger tube amp than the usual 5w ones recommended and go straight for a 15 or 20w at least. Really, if you're using it exclusively for cleans, you can get as high watt of an amp as you like and you won't lose anything by turning it down.

Just something to keep in mind.
Quote by andrerist
vht special 6 ultra. i have it, i love it. i use my mxr full bore for my distortion and then an mxr 10 band eq to shape it to exactly what i want. excepts pedals great and is a really great amp. inexpensive and you could get it as a head or combo. its a nice little amp and would be a great option for you.

^ the ht5 is not all tube btw. its a hybrid

I think it is isn't it. This was on the product specs... 1xECC83 and 1x12BH7 valves
Quote by ibanart300
I think it is isn't it. This was on the product specs... 1xECC83 and 1x12BH7 valves

From what I've managed to catch in passing discussion of it, op amps make up a lot of the preamp gain--that single preamp tube isn't where a lot of the preamp sound comes from so it's a hybrid.
I guess the definition of hybrid has changed then as there is a valve in the pre amp stage and output stage but after doing some research I found that you are right it also uses solid state technology. But most people wouldn't consider it a hybrid amp because the usual definition of a hybrid is to have a valve preamp and a solid state output stage. But none the less they have gotten good reviews so it wouldn't hurt to try them out.
Last edited by ibanart300 at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by ibanart300
I guess the definition of hybrid has changed then as there is a valve in the pre amp stage and output stage but after doing some research I found that you are right it also uses solid state technology. But most people wouldn't consider it a hybrid amp because the usual definition of a hybrid is to have a valve preamp and a solid state output stage.

That is the usual definition of hybrid, but they're getting trickier about marketing amps as "all tube." So the term is helpful to people wanting to know if it's an all tube signal path or not.

Personally, I think it's awesome that they're combining them so that you can get more gain in a small package with a tube power section. People get this knee jerk reaction as soon as they hear "solid state," but you can make great preamps with transistors and ICs--hell that's where all the cool sounds of everyone's favorite OD and distortion pedals comes from.
Yeah I totally agree about the knee jerk re-action about solid state. I mean there are plenty of solid state amps that sound just as good as valve amps. And yeah you make a good point as that's where all the great pedals come from. I just threw that particular amp in the mix because I know it has gotten great reviews and is close to a valve amp as can be.
is 5 watt the max you can go? else i'd look out for like a vox ac 15 or something similar, second-hand that is. perhaps even a bugera v22.
valve junior takes pedals like a champ.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?