Hey all,
Well I've been playing for over three years and now that ive got reasonably decent gear and skill, I want to start recording some stuff. I've done some reading, specifically the Tone Testing Thread V.3 and will probably have to end up reading it at least once more.

Anyways, I'm wondering what equipment is good? What will I need? What software? I'm looking to record myself playing the electric and acoustic electric 12 string guitar (though I have no acoustic amp, if that matters) and maybe some vocals. Different mics for each?

The kind of equipment I'm looking for is the "best for the money" kind of gear. The Epiphone Elitists, not the Gibson Custom Shops. Preferably new. It doesn't have to be the best, just a decent quality for myself, friends, and family. I have access to Macs, but no PC's so any software will have to be for the Mac.

Your help is really appreciated. Thanks.
-Van

I also have a Line 6 Pod 2.0 that I'm on the verge of selling, I know it's a DSP and those can be used to record, but I'm not really crazy about the tone, should I keep it and play the EQ/ settings some more or just get rid of it and get a better DSP/ Mics, software?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 10, 2011,
For mics id pick up a dynamic for close micing, a pencil condensor and a large diagpraphm condenser. You can blend them and its a pretty versatile setup.

What mic to chose is a matter of taste, heres a few ideas.

For dynamics
Shure SM57
Shure Uniydne 545 III
Audix I5
Sennheiser E609

Pencil condensor
Rode M3
Akg Perception 170

Large Condenser
Rode NT1a / NT2
MXL V67i

Youre gunna need a few stands, xlr cables and a pop screen dont forget.

Garage band is ehh, okay. Logic is killer if you can aqquire it. Pro Tools is all powerfull and my DAW of choice, but you need digi/avid hardware to use it, unless you pay for PT 9.

You also need an audio interface. You can get usb and firewire types, for home recording usb is fine. If you think youll need to record more than 2 tracks simultaneously go for firewire.

For interfaces look at
Tascam US122
Presonus Audiobox
Line 6 Pod Studio
Digidesign Mbox (The original ones sell for cheap used and you can use PT 8 with them)
M-audio Fastrack

You can get amplitube for free. Much better quality modeling than the pods.
this may get moved. it happens

Quote by VanTheKraut
Anyways, I'm wondering what equipment is good? What will I need? What software?

what is your budget? that will help give better advice.

that is a kinda dangerous question, recording guys may have you chasing after some real high dollar stuff. recording, like much with playing music, you can spend just as much as you want on it

i use a couple presonus units, i use logic on mac, i have a quite a few (10 maybe?) cheap mics. that is just to give you an idea. i get a sound like this outta it.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play920678

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play990705

Quote by VanTheKraut
I'm looking to record myself playing the electric and acoustic electric 12 string guitar (though I have no acoustic amp, if that matters) and maybe some vocals. Different mics for each?

for those applications, i think a 2 input usb device should suit your needs. you can mic your cabinet or guitar, something like 1 or 2 sm57's should get you by. you can also find some good deals on cheap small diaphragm pencil condensors mics (i have a set of samson CO2's) and they are good enough for getting on your feet. hell, they are good enough to also bolster my mic collection in case i need a couple more mics in certain situations.

Quote by VanTheKraut
The kind of equipment I'm looking for is the "best for the money" kind of gear. The Epiphone Elitists, not the Gibson Custom Shops. Preferably new. It doesn't have to be the best, just a decent quality for myself, friends, and family. I have access to Macs, but no PC's so any software will have to be for the Mac.

if you wanna go super cheap, i use a 1/4" mono to 1/8" balanced adapater to plug into the guitar, then i plug an ipod cable into that and run it right into my mac. here is a clip of that setup.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play733334

but it sounds like you want something more like this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-1box-audiobox-collectors-edition-recording-bundle

or this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-usb-recording-package/243008000000000

that is so much better than what i started with that it is a crime. both packages can get you going just fine.

Quote by VanTheKraut
I also have a Line 6 Pod 2.0 that I'm on the verge of selling, I know it's a DSP and those can be used to record, but I'm not really crazy about the tone, should I keep it and play the EQ/ settings some more or just get rid of it and get a better DSP/ Mics, software?

i'd just go with ditching the line 6, you can do things with it but i'd rather have a more flexible setup.

edit: looks like becky gave a little more variety than me. my advice is limited, but there is no be-all-end-all recording setup. it can be hard to make choices before getting some experience with the stuff under your belt but there are lots of equipment at your level that will suit your needs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 10, 2011,
i'll give you a somewhat different approach. you may want to consider a stand alone recorder as opposed to using a computer. i use a Zoom digital 8-track for recording (also has a built in drum machine). i'd also think about keeping the POD for now at least. use it to learn some of the ins and outs of recording as it will make it easier. i use a POD for recording for that reason. with some time and effort you can get acceptable tones out of it. they come in handy for situationw where micing an amp isn't practical. after you learn more about the recording process then you can get into the live recording thing. as mentioned that can get very pricey.

some of my tunes are in my profile
Keep the DSP for the electric, ditch the Pod software and get Guitar Rig.

Shure SM57/58 for the acoustic would be fine, you will want two to do a left and right.

Interfaces, look at M-Audio ones in your price point (whatever it is) or even Zoom, something like the R-8 is pretty good.

Maybe if you want drums get ezDrummer or something similar.

You really don't need lots and lots of gear to do some simple home recording, you might also want to consider maybe a little Midi/USB controller keyboard for VST instruments.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"