I couldn't think of a decent thread title, so that seemed most appropriate.

Do you guys feel lucky to live in this day and age? I mean, in comparison to certain aspects of eras gone by, yes, it does suck a bit, but i mean, our children will read about these things in the history books, and will never get to experienced them, for example:

Good things we have seen/experienced:

-The turn of a century.
-The turn of a millenium.
-First black president of the United States.
-Numerous scientific discoveries and breakthroughs.
-Legalization of same sex marriage. (Mostly)

Grey area (some good, some bad, or generally divisive):

-Auto tune.
-The music scene has become incredibly diverse.
-Seventh generation gaming (as a gamer myself, i think this is a good thing, but at the same time, it is hard for me to predict where console and games developers might go next, if anywhere).
-New advances in film and television technology.

Bad:
-The economic crisis towards the end of the 2000s.
-Various acts of terrorism (9/11, 7/7, etc)
-Wars and unrest in the Middle East.
-Riots across London (although, in perspective of the Middle East and other things, it seems like a drop in the bucket).

To be honest, i feel quite lucky to be alive at this moment in time, and it isn't because i think my life is great or anything like that, but just because it is interesting stuff to be part of, and even though it is a dark day for the Middle East, and my heart goes out to them, i can't really say that i relate to them, so even though i recognise it as a bad thing that is happening in our time, it isn't something that bums me out on a day to day basis.

Please, don't argue over certain issues, this is a thread just to say whether you feel happy to be alive in this era, or not. And no, i'm not drunk. Or high.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Aug 10, 2011,
Somewhat. Yes because it is interesting to see it all but no because I'm not directly involved in that..
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Yeah. There are plenty of grim realities in the world, but there are a lot of great things I'm incredibly thankful for. Modern medicine, anyone?
I feel incredibly lucky.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
No different than any other generation in the last couple hundred years, really.
Yes, I feel lucky. As due pointed out, there are things like modern medicine. I think the most important thing about this time period is that the international community is coming together. I could be in Europe fourteen hours from now if I wanted to and had the money. The internet is another thing. I think it is one of human kinds most important inventions. I could learn almost anything I wanted, and I can see different people's perspective on things from any part of the world and from any background.
Quote by Avedas
No different than any other generation in the last couple hundred years, really.

I think one of the main thoughts that inspired me to make this thread was when i was like "i have lived through the end of a millenium", which is something that always amazes me every time i think about it, realistically, it is just a date, but i just find it pretty cool.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by due 07
Yeah. There are plenty of grim realities in the world, but there are a lot of great things I'm incredibly thankful for. Modern medicine, anyone?

Yup I'm pretty content.
Plus the internet
Last edited by D&DLover at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by donender
I think one of the main thoughts that inspired me to make this thread was when i was like "i have lived through the end of a millenium", which is something that always amazes me every time i think about it, realistically, it is just a date, but i just find it pretty cool.

This too. I wuldn't want to be born in 2000.
Quote by Black Ox
You forgot the fact that the end of the world is coming soon...

Oh you.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
I'm happy with where (when?) I am, but I'm very curious as to what the world will look like in another 500 years.
e-single
I don't really know to be honest. It's great having technology and medicine, but what's the point when a majority of people don't have access to it?

I think we're headed down a dark road. Might be able to get out and off of it. Might not.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Yea, like Due said, because of medicine and technology and stuff
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...

There's shit I like & shit I don't, and I'd say that if I were alive in any other time. Every generation experiences good shit & bad shit. I'm accustomed to this time, and it's not like I could very well leave it. I don't feel lucky about it, it's just a fact. I never think about it.
I feel lucky to be alive in this day and age. I've not witnessed a world war, was too young to really recall the most recent tragedy in the USA, technology is good...

...Really, I've got nothing to complain about. Plus, this is the only life I have and ever will have as far as I know. What's the point in being discontent over the time period you're living in?
Actually I think it have been badass to grow up in the late 70s and early 80s.

But that's probably just from watching movies like The Goonies, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Super 8, and the Sandlot
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I've had two major surgeries in my life, so I can say hurray for Anasthesia!
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
There is always the thought in the back of my head that I should have lived my 20's in the 80s as opposed to this decade. I turn 21 three months before the end of the world so whats the point?
Quote by MakinLattes
I wish I had been born a few centuries later. Total immersion gaming...

This. And legitimate space travel.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

When I was like 12, I was super jealous of my cousin who had just been born, because the Xbox would be to him what the atari was to me. Outdated and dumb looking.
Too late to sail the world and name new land after myself, and too early to fly the galaxy naming planets after myself.
Definitely. I'm hoping there will be an affordable way to extend my life indefinitely at some point, so I get to see even more technological breakthroughs than I already have. It seems more possible now than ever before.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Nope. I feel like I was born several centuries too late.
Quote by zdh
Nope. I feel like I was born several centuries too late.

+1 Same here. I wish I was born in the 40's so that I could grow up on Elvis, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters (and every other Chess Records artist/group), Jerry Lee Lewis...

...and become an adult with the Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Doors, Yardbirds, etc.

Then by the time I become 30 I would have enough cash saved up to check out all the greatest bands live in their prime in the 70's.
Nah, i'd have prefered to live in the 1600s so I could be struck down by cholera at 13.......WHAT?! I can just move to Africa.
I like being alive. There's good things and bad things about being alive at any point in history and I don't think my overall contentment would change.
cat
I have to say I like being alive now. Computers and stuff. And nutella. I don't think they had that 200+ years ago.

It's just the technological advancements that I really appreciate. Being able to do things within nanoseconds has completely changed the world, to differing opinions on whether it's for the better or worse.
I wish I lived in the age of interstellar space travel.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I experienced both Zelda games on the N64 as a kid. That is sufficient.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Quote by cam_sampbell
I feel incredibly lucky.

That, Mr._Sampbell is because you get up at 3pm everyday I was told to call you a lazy bar steward.

I feel averagely average.
It's an exciting time to be alive. I feel lucky because I have just about every bit of knowledge in the world at my fingertips and so many conveniences.

On the other hand, maybe knowledge is overrated. If I had lived a long time ago, perhaps there would be more mystery. Not to mention, given how sensitive I am to aesthetics, I would've jizzed myself living in a time and place where art was abundant and we didn't have disgusting wires and businesses everywhere you look. Technology is useful but usually sucks the beauty out of everything. I often wish I was there to see times and events ranging from the Victorian era to Woodstock.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.