Hey everyone. I'm in the market for my first tube amp. I'm currently looking at the Bugera 1990 head. I've read all the reviews and stories about it having terrible stock tubes and reliability issues on the older models.

I play in a post-hardcore/pop punk styled band and was wondering if this head, with a decent 4x12 and new decent tubes, would be able to get those type of tones? Perhaps with an OD pedal as I own a bad monkey.

The reason for choosing a head over a combo as many debate is simply for having a more professionally look behind me. My band is at the point now were we tour Ontario and Quebec regularly and as we know image is allot in this industry. The downside to touring so much is not having the money for really nice amps this late in the game :P

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
A peavey Windsor might work for you too. That's what I use in the studio and for large gigs matched with a Marshall 1960 B. Never played a bugera 1960. I have a little bugera v22 and it rocks.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
The 1990 will do the job fine but I think a clone of a JCM900 is pretty silly when the real thing sells for peanuts every day of the week.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've got a Bugera 6262-212 myself. I've never replaced the tubes (the thing is 2 years old now), but it's always sounded fine to me. Never had any reliability issues or anything else wrong with it, either, so I think that overall, Bugera is a good brand.

As for the tones, it's supposed to be a very nice amp for anything that has gain levels beyond ultra-saturated death metal filth. Just listen to it - there's videos of it on youtube. I know you won't hear exactly how it sounds there, but amp videos often give a good general direction.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
anyone who is going to judge you on your amp is probably going to be an amp snob so I doubt seeing a Bugera, whether it be a stack or combo, will give you many brownie points there.

maybe spend the extra money on a nicer combo and work on your stage presence so people don't watch your amps but they watch you.
look into a peavey valveking, not going to break the bank and it is better quality and more reliable than any bugera. i have gigged with mine and if you overdrive it, it can do hardcore/punk very easily.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I own a Bugera 1990 and I love the thing. I played in a metalcore band with it, I have lent it out to a friend in a pop-punk band, and I lent it out to another friend who plays in a post-hardcore band. The tone fit in perfectly within each setting. Ill be honest, I think the head sounded better with a distortion pedal. But even without it it sounds pretty damn good.
I didn't mean having the name behind me for looks i meant just the image of a half stack. And my stage presence is fine. If it wasn't i wouldn't be endorsed by the companies who endorse me. Im perfectly comfy having a combo. Thats what i use now. The suggestion for a better image on-stage is coming from these various companies as well as labels interested in my band. But i will not let there requests for my image improvement to affect my live or studio tone.

I just Haven't had the time to go to the city to test one so i thought id ask here first
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special