So my laptop screen recently has been crap. The problem is there is green and pink dots, stripes, and blotches when there shouldn't be. I have come to the conclusion that it is bad LCD wiring. What should I do? If i hit it enough in the right spots and bend the screen and move the screen for long enough i can get it to normal, but it takes like 15 minutes. After I have the computer closed for more than. maybe 10 minutes or so, it will go back to the malfunctions. Considering I get on and off this computer infinite times every day, it's ridiculously annoying. So, again, what should I do?
Quote by olix95
So my laptop screen recently has been crap. The problem is there is green and pink dots, stripes, and blotches when there shouldn't be. I have come to the conclusion that it is bad LCD wiring. What should I do? If i hit it enough in the right spots and bend the screen and move the screen for long enough i can get it to normal, but it takes like 15 minutes. After I have the computer closed for more than. maybe 10 minutes or so, it will go back to the malfunctions. Considering I get on and off this computer infinite times every day, it's ridiculously annoying. So, again, what should I do?

Stop that.

Did you recently drop your laptop?
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Quote by blizzboy
Stop that.

Did you recently drop your laptop?

stop the long typing, or hitting it? also, no i didn't drop it
Last edited by olix95 at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by jetfuel495
Hm. Try posting a screenshot.

just got it to a normal point for now, i don't want to mess it up again. it takes for ever to get it back
Quote by olix95
stop the long typing, or hitting it? also, no i didn't drip it

Stop hitting and bending your screen, you can't possibly be making the situation any better.
Quote by Alex Vik
Stop hitting and bending your screen, you can't possibly be making the situation any better.

well, it actually kind of does
Quote by guitaristren
Try connecting it to an external monitor and see if it does the same.

if it does would you assume it'd be the graphics processor?
If you connect it to an external monitor and it's still doing it then that is one messed up OS.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
more questions: i do not remember if i even registered this computer, so if i didn't would i be able to send it in for another one. also, is there a way to check if it is registered? (it's windows 7 home premium (64-bit), and its an HP G56-29WM)
Quote by olix95
If i hit it enough in the right spots and bend the screen and move the screen for long enough i can get it to normal, but it takes like 15 minutes.
Wtf would you do that?! Argh...

You need to either get it fixed (which may cost more than it's worth) or buy a new laptop. Don't ever hit an electronic though!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Wtf would you do that?! Argh...

You need to either get it fixed (which may cost more than it's worth) or buy a new laptop. Don't ever hit an electronic though!

thats the thing. due to the malfunctioning, i really dont care about hitting it now that fixing would cost so much anyway.
hook it up to an external monitor. If the artifacts are still there - you guessed it - it's your GPU.

If they aren't - your screen is ****ed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I don't know about the newer laptops, but I remember, years ago, Compaq had these really shitty and fragile flat mylar cables that went from the computer to the display.

Its possible that could be damaged.
Those cables are pricey. The Compaq one was $150.
update on this. i dont have to hit it. i just opened it and let it sit for a few minutes and it goes to a normal screen. that doesn't solve the problem however.
I've had this problem. Your screens been hit by something.

Get a new laptop.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by olix95
update on this. i dont have to hit it. i just opened it and let it sit for a few minutes and it goes to a normal screen. that doesn't solve the problem however.
What will is buying a new laptop. Once LCD screens crack, there's no fixing them. Fixing just the screen would cost as much as a new laptop. Go get a new laptop, and treat it a lot better this time. Honestly, don't hit it every time it malfunctions; what are you, a caveman?

Quote by olix95

If you wont hook it up to an external monitor, as suggested over and over, then try running malwarebytes on it and see if there's a crappy virus screwing it up.

Personally I would try the external monitor, but I suppose hitting it is easier?
Go to the genius bar, they'll fix it for free.

Oh wait.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

The same thing has happened to my computer. Before you spend any money, find a disassembly guide for your laptop on the internet. Follow the instructions on the guide to the T to open up the LCD/monitor assembly. Unplug the screen from your computer itself, and firmly plug it back in. That was all it took for me to fix my laptop's screen, hopefully it would work for you.

If not, try plugging your computer into an external monitor or a TV. If there's still artifacting, something's messed up with your GPU. Try booting into safe mode and see if that fixes it. Also, try updating your video drivers.
Your screen has small cracks in it. By hitting it and twisting it you are making more. Slowly your screen will get worse and worse. You'll have to buy a new screen.
alright, the screen is not cracked, trust me. i am a caveman, thats why i hit it, and i will do a external monitor hook-up soon enough. when i open the laptop, and the screen is like that, i let it sit for a few minutes without touching it, and it goes back to normal. so i assume at this point it is the GPU or something
If bending it and twisting it "fixes" it, I can assure you it's not the gpu. The symptoms would be totally different if it were a gpu issue.

Laptop screens break all the time, they're usually the most likely thing to break. It's time to get a new laptop and perhaps a case, TS. Fixing it is too expensive unless it's a really nice laptop.

Besides, replacing a gpu in a laptop is still a bitch too, as it's usually integrated into the mobo anyways.
Ask clippy what to do.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
You've damaged the LCD screen by hitting it. They aren't designed for impacts. By hitting it you've caused tiny cracks in the screen - smaller than you can see with your naked eye. The liquid inside is moving around in the screen and leaking from the cracks causing the colours and swirls etc.

The reason it's fixing itself after a few minutes is the liquid inside is running down to the bottom of the screen, clearing itself from the cracks and removing the artifacts.

The fact you can make the the artifacts move and get rid of them by pressing and bending the screen means it's not your GPU. It's the physically damaged screen.

I don't intend to offend, but you don't come across as being capable of changing a laptop LCD screen, so you've got two choices:

1. Buy a new laptop
2. Have your screen changed by a repair person.

Depending on the size and age of your laptop the screen may be cheaper than a new laptop. The decision is yours, as you're the one paying for it.