I am looking for any kind of head that is good for rock and metal, and i was wondering if the Orange Dark Terror was good for this. Just want good tone, good distortion and high gain, but with a budget of under $1000AUD. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Does the budget include a cab as well?

EDIT: Home or gigging use as well?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
that or a blackstar HT5. sounds prety good for a low watt high gain "all valve" amp. even with whatever schenanigans they have going on.
Do you have a cab already? Or are you looking at an extra budget for a cab?

Honestly the Dark Terror doesn't look or sound all that impressive and won't be fantastic for metal.

I would look into either Peavey Valveking with a boost, Vox Night Train, Blackstar HT20 and maybe even a Dual Terror.

Definitely want a boost for metal though.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
i did a little looking up on the dark terror a couple days ago. from the way they made it sound i thought it would be a metal monster. but from the videos and reviews i saw..... not so much. you may be happier with a dual terror or the dark terror but it would probably need a good OD in front of it to really give you the metal tone your looking for. i use a VHT special 6 ultra with an mxr full bore and mxr 10 band eq for metal and the thing really sounds great. granted it really can't do metal by itself, with these pedals my tone is exactly where i want it to be
Having watched the vids for the Dark Terror, I wouldn't say it's terrible for metal, but it certainly wouldn't be able to do all of metal. It will come down to what kind of metal you play as to whether it's a suitable amp or not. Also a note on Peavey, they are extremely common among metal guitar players these days as they are reasonably priced, high gain amps, but if you want to sound a bit more individual it's not a way to go, every man and his dog has one haha.
I had a look at all of them, and im really liking the ht20, think i might go check it out further, thanks for all the help
i really like my dual terror. the 30 watts is a plus for some degree of headroom remains when i turn up the TT channel on a cleanish mode. and the Fat channel, is actually killer for metal. i have plenty of metal amps, you can see in my sig/profile, but there is just something about that fat channel that sparks, IMO. once you get the fat channel up to noon on the volume through a 4x12" with K85's (celestion's precurser to K100's, 100% identical though, they just changed the model name), and my brootal guitar my SG in C# std, or drop B or even a LP.

i don't know. the little bit about the dark terror certainly hasn't impressed me beyond what my dual terror puts on the table.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Dark Terror has like no controls, you might as well plug straight up into a cab and save 1k.
Quote by Dmaj7
The Dark Terror has like no controls, you might as well plug straight up into a cab and save 1k.

thats the new dumbest thing i ever heard on this website
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Dmaj7

my spitfire has 3 controls. volume, tone and master. it is the best sounding amp i have played.

TS make it $1500 and you can have my Engl Screamer.
Quote by Shayne777
thats the new dumbest thing i ever heard on this website

It was obviously sarcasm and the only controls on the dark terror are volume, shape, and gain.

So before you say something is dumb, why don't you do you're research so you know what we are actually talking about.

Thanks

EDIT:

Quote by joe_k
my spitfire has 3 controls. volume, tone and master. it is the best sounding amp i have played.

TS make it $1500 and you can have my Engl Screamer.

Thats fine with me. The problem with the Dark Terror is that instead of Gain, they should put in volume, then instead of volume, have a master volume. Then put a switch that changes the amp from clean to a boost type channel, that way you can turn up the regular volume for an 80s rock OD and then flip the switch to the boosted channel for a metal distortion.

Just my opinion. But I also don't build amps
Last edited by Dmaj7 at Aug 11, 2011,
I am personally not impressed by the dark terror from what I can tell. The tt as much as I love it gets a bit hairy at full gain, almost fuzz like. Last thing I think its needs is more gain. Imo the tt is best when set at mid gain and turned up a bit. But now I'm getting off topic.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.