Hey guys, so i have my jackson dk2m which i absolutley adore except for this one little thing. it is for some reason unnecessarily overly bass-y. i play through my zoom pedal monitoring through my computers hi fi speakers ( with sub-woofer) and anytime i hit that low E there is horrible clipping and fuzzyness because there is so much bass. its a light alder body with seymor duncan pickups. for comparisons sake, i took my LTD which has EMG's and tuned to drop G# with 13 guage strings and not even that gets that clipping. anyone got any freaking idea whats going on?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
What's your pickup height like?
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
What's your pickup height like?

originally very low, flush with the ring (never gave attention to it since today) i raised it pretty high, got a lot brighter but didnt change the bass prob
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
move your pickups away from the strings a bit
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
How many mm from the strings? Try lowering it a little bit and see if the problem goes away.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

trying it now will reply with results
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
wel it seems to have remidied the bass problem but now the palm muting in the dist sound mushy. is this a result of the pickup/tonewood combo in the guitar?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED

pretty damn low, bout 2.5mm
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
i'd say that is an issue with your speakers, not the guitar :p

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
it's probably more your technique.
Quote by CJ Noble
it's probably more your technique.

what?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
what?

the palm mutes being mushy, it's probably your technique and not the pickup height. try experimenting with pressure, angle of your hand, and all that jazz
Quote by CJ Noble
the palm mutes being mushy, it's probably your technique and not the pickup height. try experimenting with pressure, angle of your hand, and all that jazz

ive been palm muting fine for 2 years, i doubt i forgot how o.0

but actually when i do bring my hand closer to get more choke it completly chokes out. ive experimented with that
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by numinis
i'd say that is an issue with your speakers, not the guitar :p

u read all of the OP? doesnt happen with my other guitar...which in theory would have more bass because it literally is producing lower freq* at drop G#
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Does it sound fine and normal through an actual guitar amp?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by EspTro
ive been palm muting fine for 2 years, i doubt i forgot how o.0

but actually when i do bring my hand closer to get more choke it completly chokes out. ive experimented with that

I'm not saying you forgot how, you've probably just been compensating for the extra bass or something
Quote by EspTro
u read all of the OP? doesnt happen with my other guitar...which in theory would have more bass because it literally is producing lower freq* at drop G#

Lower frequencies, but not necessarily more of them. A strat tuned to drop A is still not going to have more bass than a flying V tuned standard.

I would guess that this is an issue with the pickups themselves, or the interaction between the hot pickups and the computer, or the speakers. I have a suspicion that it's the computer rig you're using. There's too much frequency response there, and almost certainly too much low bass response. Try EQing with a severe bass cut in the lowest registers, and move the frequency up until the bass tightens up. You can reduce the amount of cut at that point.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Does it sound fine and normal through an actual guitar amp?

sounds overly bass-y but theres obviously no clipping like there is on my computer
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I'm willing to get it's not your guitar. Get an amp, and things will suddenly become magical. Also, that 'bass-y-ness' is called 'Punch.'
Quote by JustRooster
I'm willing to get it's not your guitar. Get an amp, and things will suddenly become magical. Also, that 'bass-y-ness' is called 'Punch.'

lmao i have an amp.. and its not punch its big flabby bass. u cant really use my 150w amp at night and i do my fair share of night playing
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Hmmm.. Check your wiring and use 500k pots.

My Edwards is Maple and Alder and runs a JB, and it has more punch in the low register than my buddys' Les Paul and Dean Mach V (though both sound glorious tuned lower)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores