Hi guys,

I've really gotten into Gilmour lately, namely his Royal Albert Hall/Live in Gdansk material. I really like playing along, but my tone definitely doesn't come anywhere near his.

Guitar and amp:
Fender Roadhouse Strat with Texas Specials
Marshall JCM2000 TSL 122

I'm looking to buy a couple of pedals to sort of approximate his tone. Now, I don't really know a whole lot about what pedals do what, but I have an idea of the tones I want to get.

Here's a few songs I have in mind:
Solo from "A Great Day for Freedom" live in Gdansk - linky
Solo from "Time" at the Royal Albert Hall - linky
Full song "Coming Back to Life" at Royal Albert - linky
Both "Comfortably Numb" solos, live/studio/anything

Also, I like blues (Hendrix, Mayer, SRV, etc.) and classic rock (Zeppelin, Jeff Beck and such).

Basically, I really like thethick lead tone he always has. With my amp (Marshall TSL) I can get about the right drive levels, so I'm not really looking for an overdrive/distortion pedal. What kind of other effects (delay, wah, chorus, etc.) would I need to get his tone?

I'd like to keep it roughly around $200 USD for everything. Not sure if I'll buy anything anytime soon, but I'm just trying to get a few ideas. I'm sure I could stretch the budget over time, so let me know if $200 is reasonable or not. Also, used is perfectly fine by me.

Thanks for any and all help!
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Last edited by Rogue Hermit at Aug 11, 2011,
Some kind of analog delay. Perhaps the Malekko Ekko 616.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You might want to get a delay pedal for sure. I personally have the MXR carbon copy and it works great. Are you considering to change the pickup sets? David Gilmour uses active emgs and dragonguitar sells a replica that sounds great.[URL=You might want to get a delay pedal for sure. I personally have the MXR carbon copy and it works great. Are you considering to change the pickup sets? David Gilmour uses active emgs and dragonguitars sells a replica that sounds great .

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=371
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Last edited by Bongmaster at Aug 11, 2011,
Thanks for the quick replies!

Raijouta, the Malekko seems pretty sweet. I just watched a demo of it and it sounds extremely versatile. Might pick that up...

Bongmaster, thanks for the suggestion. I'm more after his Black Strat tone, which has the passive Seymour Duncan (I think) single coils.

Okay, so delay is a must. What else would I need to get his tone? There's a little more to the solo on "A Great Day for Freedom" than just delay I think.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Gilmore; keep the amp clean and stick a Big Muff in front of it.
Hendrix, Zep and Beck; keep the gain turned down quite low and turn the volume up to 10.
SRV; cut your mids back, gain down low, volume up high and stick a tubescreamer or two in front of it. This is the sound you'll have the hardest time achieving.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

This, but I don't think you'll get the sound with the current production American big muff.

If you go to http://www.gilmourish.com/ you'll find a lot of info on his tone, including stuff about the big muffs etc
RIP Gooze

cats
@Cathbard and Mulefish, I'm not as concerned with needing a pedal to get the drive tone, since my amp is sufficient for now. That said, I'll keep something like that in my mind for the future. Is there something I'm missing about what a Big Muff does?

As far as the sound from the first Comfortably Numb solo in the studio version, is that sound just delay and a Big Muff?

Thanks guys!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
A Big Muff is arguably the effect Gilmour is most known for using. It has a distinctly different sound than amp distortion. It's got a scooped midrange which makes it real smooth, and it's got sustain for days. I've always thought it got along a lot better with vintage style single coils than any other pickup type. With humbuckers it has a tendency to get a muddy in my opinion.

And the studio version of the comfortably numb solo is tough to replicate in a live setting because of all the work they did with it in the studio. There's some EQ and compression done in production that give it a very specific tone. But a strat through a big muff and maybe a Dynacomp style compressor will do a good job in a live situation. And a good analog or tape style delay is a MUST for emulating Gilmour's tone. Along with various modulation effects (especially phase/univibe/leslie type sounds). As at least one person already suggested, go check out gilmourish.com. It's probably the best source of information on Gilmour's tone and gear you'll find anywhere.
Okay, so for the time being I'm thinking about grabbing the Malekko delay pedal and a Big Muff. Would I need to get the Ram's Head Big Muff, or would the USA Big Muff Pi be just fine?

In any case, I'll start shopping around for deals on these two pedals.

Thanks for the help guys! Let me know if there's still anything important I'm missing
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by Cathbard
Hendrix, Zep and Beck; keep the gain turned down quite low and turn the volume up to 10.
SRV; cut your mids back, gain down low, volume up high and stick a tubescreamer or two in front of it. This is the sound you'll have the hardest time achieving.

I heard he used to always have his amp settings pretty close to pointing all at noon, or he'd turn everything up to full by running his fingers along them live :S
I get a similar sound to Gilmour (similar... don't flame me) with a mild OD, then a Big Muff, then a digital delay into a good clean channel.

In my case the best I've gotten is a Dist+ I built into a Civil War Muff clone I built into a DD-3 into a Blues Junior. Again this is a budget option for getting similar sounds, not a formula for 'the' Gilmour sound so don't bother flaming.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
@Vendetta V, that's for the tip, but I'm looking to go a little more on the cheap. That seems like a sweet pedal with everything I'd need though. If there's either a price drop or I can save a little more then I'll definitely consider that. It just looks like the Malekko or an MXR delay would be more cost effective for me.

Also, the Big Muff Pi USA model is probably adequate. Is there another in that price range ($75-100) that would be better?
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by Rogue Hermit
Also, the Big Muff Pi USA model is probably adequate. Is there another in that price range ($75-100) that would be better?

The NYC Muff will do... But even I have problems with it for Gilmour and I'm not too discerning. Its just way more agressive than what he actually used. I dunno if he's still around but a guy was building muff clones from any era a while back that were supposed to be great and around $100... I believe he used the name 'Stomp Under Foot.'

He was quite the fad a while back, but I haven't heard of him lately.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^Yeah SUF builds some great muff clones. For gilmour his Violet Ram's head is awesome, they're $130 I believe.

Also a delay, chorus and maybe flanger (in that order) are a must for a Gilmour sound.
Also, you can get a Big Muff clone from BYOC with your choice of Ram's Head or Triangle version specs. It's cheaper if you buy the kit and build it yourself if you're into that kind of thing, but they sell pre built pedals at reasonable prices too.
Would the Ram's Head or Triangle versions be much better than the USA model? I found the kit for $90. Is that a good deal, and would it be the sound I'm looking for?

Might pull the trigger on that kit and the Malekko delay. That's probably a good start to get a decent sound, right?
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by Zoot Allures
I heard he used to always have his amp settings pretty close to pointing all at noon, or he'd turn everything up to full by running his fingers along them live :S

I read that his tech would re-position the knobs to make it look that way, but would set the EQ and stuff to a more suitable position because it didn't sound so great all cranked.
Quote by Rogue Hermit
Would the Ram's Head or Triangle versions be much better than the USA model? I found the kit for $90. Is that a good deal, and would it be the sound I'm looking for?

Might pull the trigger on that kit and the Malekko delay. That's probably a good start to get a decent sound, right?

Whether or not they are better is up to you, but they'd get you a more authentic Gilmour tone. The Ram's Head and Triangle versions are just versions that were made by EHX at different points in time, and they sound a little different that the Big Muffs made today. Gilmour is pretty famous for using the Ram's Head version. I've only ever heard good things about the BYOC Big Muff clone, and $90 bucks for a quality Ram's Head Muff Clone is a deal if you ask me. As for the Malekko delay, as long as you like the way it sounds it should be fine for a Gilmour sound. Any decent analog delay will work.
Does Gilmour use the Ram's Head or Triangle version for his more recent stuff? The recent Gilmour (On an Island tour) stuff is probably more what I'm after.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by Zoot Allures

I was just giving him the starting point because he has a Marshall, not a Bassman. I didn't think too much past that tbh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Big Muff into a delay (preferably modulated) nails Gilmour

I have a Catalinbread Manx Loaghton that I'm selling (Its Catalinbread's take on a Rams Head muff) not trying to shill or anything but pm if your interested
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Rogue Hermit
Does Gilmour use the Ram's Head or Triangle version for his more recent stuff? The recent Gilmour (On an Island tour) stuff is probably more what I'm after.

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=205
From the site I gave you to look at...
He uses the ram's head for on an island studio
He uses a Pete Cornish P-1 (labeled “Muff&rdquo and a Big Muff (1971 “triangle&rdquo for the Royal Albert Hall and Gdansk Live stuff.
RIP Gooze

cats
Gilmourish.com trips me out. How did they get their hands on such minute details about every piece of gear on every album and well pretty much any time he farted? It's either an amazing piece of investigation or it's a lot of guesswork. Most of it does seem to check out in general terms though. He loves his Muffs, there's no doubt about that. Whether he used the one with the gravy stain where Roger Waters spilt his chips for the intro of Dogs or not ......... I guess who cares as long as it gets you most of the way there, huh?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 12, 2011,
Yeah, I know. Some of it is sourced, and some if it makes sense and seems reasonable. So I guess the majority of it is believable
RIP Gooze

cats
I changed my mind on the delay again! I found a TC Nova Repeater at a great price. I'll probably get that in the morning. I saw the list price and thought it was a little much, but then I saw a good deal. Thanks for the tip VendettaV!

And I'm almost set on the BYOC Large Beaver, although I am still not sure whether I want to go for Triangle or Ram's Head specs. Any ideas which of the two would help me nail some of the tones in the stuff back in OP?

Thanks for the help guys!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
For Gilmour lead tone, a cheap Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville set clean with a Skreddy Pig Mine, TC Flashback with the EP-3 Toneprint and a Boss CE-2 would get you 90% of the way there for under a grand. A Colorsound Overdriver clone and a silicon Fuzz Face would get you the earlier lead tone.

EDIT: Just saw your latest post. Gilmour used a Ram's Head so that specific circuit would get you closer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 16, 2011,
If I were completely redoing my entire rig I'd definitely go for that type of setup

I guess I'm still going back and forth on delay. I'll look into it for a bit, but right now I'm leaning toward the TC Nova Repeater. I do think it's probably one of the more versatile, but at the same time I'm not sure I really need that much versatility. Eh, I'll think about it while I sleep!

But yeah, I'm leaning towards the Ram's Head, but I know he also used the Triangle. It's just a matter of figuring out when and where he used which.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
I've never heard of Gilmour using a Triangle. Though I guess it's possible. The Muffs I've seen the most documentation for are the Ram's Head, a Pete Cornish clone of that specific Ram's Head and a Russian Civil War he used in the '90s. The Nova Repeater is cool. If you want similar versatility in a simpler format, the TC Flashback is very good.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I had just read that for part of his On An Island tour he used a Triangle. I guess it would make sense to go with the one he used more, though!

I think I'm still going to go with the Nova Repeater, since I found one for $125, and I haven't seen any of the others posted in this thread that cheap.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
After some searching it looks like he's been experimenting with the Triangle the last 10-15 years or so but for the most part it's at home. I've found a pic of it attached to his Cornish board for an '06 tour though. If you haven't already, Kit Rae's site has some great Gilmour info related to the Muff and the Black Strat.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Well, Ram's Head it is! And I think I'll go for the TC Nova Repeater.

Yeah, I've checked out both Gilmourish and Kit Rae's site to pick up some random tidbits. Both of those sites have a TON of information. It's funny that I thought Gilmour used the Triangle muff a lot more, but I only saw it mentioned maybe once on each site.

Well, thanks for the help everyone! I'm just a hare over my budget, but that's not too bad. I'll get these ordered in the next day or two!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Good luck! I've been on a similar trip the last few months.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Yeah, every time I open a new website there's some new thing I have to consider. If only those websites could tell me in one sentence everything I need so I don't have to search for days!

I have a weird feeling I'm going to be back to begging for help as soon as I get that BYOC kit in the mail
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Building pedals really isn't that tough. Just take your time when populating the board and soldering and examine all of the solder joints on the board before doing any off board wiring. And if you do wind up having problems, the BYOC forum is great at helping people troubleshoot and the Pedalboard thread has a few builders who are always willing to help. If you don't have a ton of experience soldering, I'd run to Radio Shack and grab a perf board and a couple dozen components and practice before tackling an actual build. You'll catch on quick.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

My dad'll be around, and he's been soldering for who knows how many years. Hopefully that'll make me feel more confident

On the bright side, the instructions seemed moderately helpful for a noob like me...

Eh, I'll get it done! Now, I'm going to call it a night before I start researching something new. Thanks for the vote of confidence though!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Some points in answer:

1. Gdansk tone- He used the Cornish P1 for most of the leads, except for Echoes (G2 and Tube Driver stacked) Great Day for Freedom (TD maxed out)
2. Re the OP. you have just about the WORST amp in the world for Gilmour tones. Clean is what you want- Fender Twin, Hiwatt, or even a Cube 80XL. You then use pedals on top
3. Triangle and Ram's Head- he messed around with a Triangle muff diring a couple of shows, and because someone took a pic of it, then they assumed he used it. He didn't- it was all Cornish P1 ( a pedal build by Pete to the specs of DGH's fave ever Ram's Head muff)
4. Delay- this is key. You need the right settings. CNumb for instance is a 600ms delay, not as per Gilmourish, with 6 repeats. You can also add in a much lower lixed 150ms delay to thicken the sound if you have 2 delays.
5. A lot of crap is talked about his delays. His MAIN unit is a rackmount MXR System Delay II. It goes everywhere and is has a graininess about the repeats you can't get on anything else. For cleaner delays, he'll use his Pete Cornish TES>
6. If you're adding Chorus for the later stuff, put it AFTER the delay. A great Gilmour trick is to wind the depth on the delay to max, and leave the speed on nil, thus giving an ambient space to the music.
7. Compression- he uses shed loads. Don't forget this.

Hope above helps. The Delays are are follows:

Echoes 300ms 6 repeats wet as you like
CNumb 600ms 6 repeats medium mix
Time 378 MS on TES set to Tape Echo
Shine on 370ms 4 repeats

Hope this helps- the settings above were given to me on a post it note from Phil Taylor himself.

Do note however, rather than spending 500 buck on gear, spend 500 hours learning how to replicate his vibrato, which is nigh on impossible!

PS to get his lead tone on a budget a good Rat into a good TS9 stacked will come very close.
Last edited by jakey333 at Mar 3, 2013,
Old thread.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
This is why i love my hd500 ... I wanted a gilmore tone. went to custome tone and downloaded the settings and there i go.