i have been reading this forum for a while now, and pretty much everyone is bashing SS amps everywhere. i thought they might be right so i went to the local store and listened to a guy playing some tube amps (vox if i remember correctly) and it sounded really good... definitely way better than my SS.

im thinking it would be a good idea to upgrade to a tube amp but i dont know if its the best choice for me.
i mostly play at home and i dont play loud so 1000$+ heads are not for me (im not rich by the way), i was thinking something along 15W would be good.

there is not a specific tone im looking for, i dont play chugga chugga's, i maily play buckethead/mr big/paul gilbert and sometimes guns n roses. since i can get the distortions i want with effect pedals i want to buy something with just one good clean channel.

i would prefer to buy new, i dont trust buying something someone else already used, but i will check some used stuff its is a really good deal.

my gear is:
gibson les paul studio
epiphone les paul
ibanez RG121 (super 2 + x2n)
ibanez RG465 (air norton + d activator)
boss PS-5 (super shifter)
boss DD-20 (giga delay)
wampler triple wreck
mxr boost/line driver
mxr phase 90
boss CS-3 (compression sustainer)
digitech whammy 4
vox wah
ibanez turbo tube screamer ts9dx
ibanez jemini (distortion pedal)
boss TU-3 (tuner)

thats all, i hope i didnt leave anything out and thanks to anyone willing to help me!
whats your budget?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Once you have a good tube amp you will probably find you want to use your distortion pedals less.
There are so many options.
Marshall Vintage Modern
Used Marshall JCM800
Laney GH50
Laney VH100R
Egnater (take your pick, Renegade or Tweaker probably)
Vox AC30
Jet City
Bugera 1960 or 333 plus fire extinguisher
Peavey XXX/JSX/Ultra
Peavey Windsor
A used Mesa of some type. Mark III or IV, or one of many others. I'm sure the Mesa boys will chime in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well, a vox ac30 is under $1000 isn't it? Do you want a combo or a half stack?
+1 to the vintage modern

bogner alchemist maybe?

the blackheart hot head bh100 is worth a good look. you can select your output power to the following. 100w-50w and 60w-30w. to have the power on tap if you needed it is a nice feature. and being able to switch between 4 power modes is nice.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Last edited by iheartgun at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by SMTHSCN
well, a vox ac30 is under $1000 isn't it? Do you want a combo or a half stack?

combo.

im looking for something that can handle effect pedals well, i spent a ton of money to buy them and i would hate not being able to use them.
Marshall TSL
Peavey JSX

Distortion pedals are more or less irrelevant once you have a good tube amp. Sure some people do use dist. pedals with their clean channels, but why bother? Especially for what you want to play, amp distortion would be better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ yeah i'd be using amp distortion + boost for stuff like paul gilbert, gnr etc.

get something marshally... traynor ycv50b? some of the carvins? Not too well up on what's good value in the states, but i reckon those two'd be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
...you have four guitars, the gibson I'm presuming was quite expensive too...

....And you only learnt about tubes vs ss?? o.O
Quote by Shayden2008
...you have four guitars, the gibson I'm presuming was quite expensive too...

....And you only learnt about tubes vs ss?? o.O

the gibson was actually my first guitar... now dont get me wrong, im not rich i just happened to be really lucky because it was used and pretty beat up so i decided to buy a good guitar for about 700$ instead of buying a crap one and then upgrading to a gibson.

i never really listened to tube amps until now because i thought they were for professional musicians. now that i have some decent gear (im still playing in my bedroom) i think upgrading to a tube amp would make a significant difference.
Quote by Offworld92
Marshall TSL
Peavey JSX

Distortion pedals are more or less irrelevant once you have a good tube amp. Sure some people do use dist. pedals with their clean channels, but why bother? Especially for what you want to play, amp distortion would be better.

why do you say that?
paul gilbert uses quite many pedals, he even has a signature distortion pedal.

by the way, i checked the amps you guys have suggested, but like 90% of them are 1000$ + heads. as i already said i am looking for combos in the 700$ range
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by ticktockboom
you had all this running through an SS!?

Depends what it was...

I have an 80s AWARD:Session SS amp that kicks the shit out of a good deal of cheap tube amps. Build quality, parts, tone, speaker(s), thats the important bit, not the tech behind it, but thats for another thread

Ill chip in a recommendation for a Laney, maybe a VC30?
Last edited by Wesbanez at Aug 11, 2011,
guitar center should carry the blackstar, the valveking, and the tweaker. im not too sure if they still carry the classic 30.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
guitar center should carry the blackstar, the valveking, and the tweaker. im not too sure if they still carry the classic 30.

i live in europe (italy), there is just one big shop where i live and i really hate them lol.
Maybe you should consider a tube amp that you can change the watts to better suite your needs. 20 watts for at home, 50 watts when your home along. Traynor makes two heads that are capable of changing watts and I thought the Cavin Legacy not the Legacy ll series.Im sure there are others.

Hope this helps