hi all,

my dinky little vox pathfinder has served me well for the past 1.5 years, but I would like to upgrade to a tube amp now!

I would prefer a half stack, as it means I can upgrade and switch bits as I go along etc etc,

my budget is a paltry 250, but I only need something for playing at home/jamming with friends!

I've been looking at the vox lil night train half stack, which is about £240 at the moment, and it has me seriously tempted, but i was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions or any experience with the night train series?

I should say I play mostly blues and 60's rock.

As long as the amp has gain, volume, and (a) tone control, I'm happy!
The lil night train would be probably be alright. Its not really a half stack but for what you play it'll do fine.
Half stack means a head and a 4x12 cab.
The vox should be ok for what you want.
If you go used you could probably get better combos though tbh
I'd rather not get a combo, because I like to tinker with my kit, and I am almost guaranteed to build my own cabinet at some point while I am still at uni and have a woodshop so readily available to me, which would be easier for me to play with than a combo.

also, this way, I will I can just upgrade the head and cab over time, and when I go to jam with my mates, all I need to do is take the head (they all have proper half stacks)
Thats fair enough i guess but its just the combos you can get on the used market will sound miles better and be of a higher wattage so they will be able to keep up with your friends with half stacks better then the lil night train.

Plus you can hook a combo up to an external speaker cabinet too you know.. You dont have to get a head to do that. Sometimes you can get good deals on heads but you're not going to get anything decent including a cab with that budget.
I have a ValvePower 18w head for sale for atm (Pm) for details and that is great for the blues and classic rock. Then it's just a matter of finding a suitable cab - Harley Benton G212V?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Lil' Night Train is an absolute beast for the price.

Jump on it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Used Peavey Windsor. It's a bit of a stretch, but should be possible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'll look into the peavey, I've always associated them with metal though?

I'll need to see if I can find anywhere to test the Peavey
They have something for everybody, like most brands do. The Windsor is a JCM800 clone. It can actually be modded to either Plexi or JCM800 specs pretty easily/cheaply.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by SMTHSCN
I'd rather not get a combo, because I like to tinker with my kit, and I am almost guaranteed to build my own cabinet at some point while I am still at uni and have a woodshop so readily available to me, which would be easier for me to play with than a combo.

also, this way, I will I can just upgrade the head and cab over time, and when I go to jam with my mates, all I need to do is take the head (they all have proper half stacks)

Then get the normal night train. Dont get the lil' one.
can't afford the the normal night train and a cab, which is why I am going for the lil.

Also, the lil is probably overkill for my needs