Hey,

this isn't a "which is better" thread, but rather, what's the difference?

I feel kind of stupid, because I've heard the term Alnico 2 thrown around a lot in pickup talk, and it never occured to me, that there must be an alnico 1 and 3 as well!

So what's the difference? How do they compare tonally? Is alnico 2 just the standard magnet in pickup's now?
Alnico is an alloy made of aluminium, nickel and cobalt - different numbers means different ratios of those metals, alnico 2 and 5 are the most commonly used ones in pickups.

Alnico 2 magnets are typically found in lower output pickups, it gives a warm sound, soft attack and spongy bottom end. Alnico 5 will give a sharper attack and more top end.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ What he said. Alnico V is the most common pickup magnet, followed by ceramic, followed by Alnico II, followed by Alnico VIII. I'm not aware of any other types being used.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
III is used occasionally. I think it's meant to be very transparent/neutral-sounding, and may is the lowest in output of all of them? Not sure.

IV is used a fair bit too by the more boutique companies in their pafs. don't think i've tried IV, and i've only tried III once or twice (and can't remember much about it ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks man!

oh christ your avatar, I can't look away, and I can't stop wincing
Quote by Offworld92
^ What he said. Alnico V is the most common pickup magnet, followed by ceramic, followed by Alnico II, followed by Alnico VIII. I'm not aware of any other types being used.

there's an alnico viii what does that sound like?

a while back i noticed a lot of people talked about the alnico V. since then, i've done some research and found that most of the tone i loved had the alnico v in the pickups and had an alnico in the speaker. i've been convinced that's the secret to good tone
Quote by kjs0118
there's an alnico viii what does that sound like?

a while back i noticed a lot of people talked about the alnico V. since then, i've done some research and found that most of the tone i loved had the alnico v in the pickups and had an alnico in the speaker. i've been convinced that's the secret to good tone

It's sounds closer to a ceramic, but retains the "smooth" quality of alnico V, but it's quite a bit more aggressive than an alnico V

Some winders also use neodymium (sp) magnets.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 15, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92

I've seen neodymium before, but I don't remember any details. it might have been a custom thing, might have been some guy's experiment, might have been a cheap piece of mass produced crap.

Edit:

Personally, I still think ceramic is the best. it's got just the right tone for me.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Aug 15, 2011,