Hi there

I'm bough some sets of medium strings (013-056), though I have usually always used the light gauge.

Now to my question. The thicker strings, the higher the tension gets. But does it actually affect the guitar in any sort of way?

I read from Taylor that it switching from light to medium requires a new setup for the guitar (http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/faqs_answers.html)

However, I'd like to hear from people who actually use the mediums and if there are any issues? - The guitar is a Breedlove (solid top+back) and the strings are some Daddario phosphor bronze ones.
you might need a set-up, depends on the individual guitar and how you like your action. and if your guitar is not braced for mediums, using the higher tension strings can slowly (or sometimes not as slowly) pull off the bridge or cause the neck to sort of fold upward, eventually causing either a partial collapse or causing the guitar to need a neck reset.

the newer atlas series breedloves use the bridge doctor, so they should be fine for mediums. i believe all of the breedloves are, but i'm not 100% sure. if you're not sure, the easiest way to find out if mediums are okay is to contact the manufacturer.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Aug 11, 2011,
Would it affect the guitar to change from .10s to .12s? If so, would it in any way help to go from .10s to .11s to .12s?

(No need to make a new thread if this one is on the front page)
going from 10's to 12's or 12's to 10's often requires a truss rod tweak. it won't make a difference if you go from 10's to 11's to 12's. on the other hand, most guitars are set up for 12's.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
you might need a set-up, depends on the individual guitar and how you like your action. and if your guitar is not braced for mediums, using the higher tension strings can slowly (or sometimes not as slowly) pull off the bridge or cause the neck to sort of fold upward, eventually causing either a partial collapse or causing the guitar to need a neck reset.

the newer atlas series breedloves use the bridge doctor, so they should be fine for mediums. i believe all of the breedloves are, but i'm not 100% sure. if you're not sure, the easiest way to find out if mediums are okay is to contact the manufacturer.

Thanks for the response.

I guess it's no problem then. I figured I should try mediums as I often downtune any way.
Quote by patticake
going from 10's to 12's or 12's to 10's often requires a truss rod tweak. it won't make a difference if you go from 10's to 11's to 12's. on the other hand, most guitars are set up for 12's.

So if most guitars are set up for 12's, it should be ok to restring it with 12's with relatively little negative effects. I only ask as the nearest luthier that I know of is a fair distance away from me and my only spare set of strings are 12's. If there are significant negative effects I guess I'll order some 11's.