Not sure where I should post this, but I guess it is guitar ''gear''.

I'm considering buying a Line 6 Pod 2.0. I was wondering if I could use this in an effects loop with my amp (a HH IC-100 combo) without any amp modelling being used from the pod itself and use it as a multi-effects ''pedal''?

Or, would I have to buy a monitor and play it through that (if that's possible)?

Thanks guys,
Hayden
Yessir. Google the 4 cable method, or 4CM for short. Also, look into the newer HD series or the M series (M5, M9 and M13). The M series would be better for just effects.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Here's the link to the m5 http://line6.com/m5/ it's $200 and I've heard the effects and they sound great.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I'd still use this as a stand alone unit with headphones, but at least I know I can use it with my amp now . It's mainly a variety of distortion I was looking for, as I am completely happy with the cleans on my amp. I was considering buying the Line 6 DM4, the one with 16 stompboxes that are modelled? I just want a variety of sounds to play with, then decide on which pedal I could buy. Anyone got any advice on this?
Last edited by Haydenr25 at Aug 11, 2011,
The dm4 is a distortion modeler so all it has is a bunch of different types of distortions. I'd rather get the m5 because it has effects and distortions, but thats just me.
If you want to use it for unplugged playing (i.e., without the amp/headphones) go with a floor POD, like the 2.0 or HD series. This way you can model an amp while using headphones (otherwise your guitars signal without being boosted by a preamp will sound like doodoo) and then use the 4CM when you want to use your amp.

UNLESS you want to use the distortion/amp models on the POD, then just run everything through the effects loop into your amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Haydenr25
Not sure where I should post this, but I guess it is guitar ''gear''.

I'm considering buying a Line 6 Pod 2.0. I was wondering if I could use this in an effects loop with my amp (a HH IC-100 combo) without any amp modelling being used from the pod itself and use it as a multi-effects ''pedal''?

Or, would I have to buy a monitor and play it through that (if that's possible)?

Thanks guys,
Hayden

I've had one of these since they first came out years ago... I would recommend against doing this with a 2.0. Its effects kind of suck and the only thing is does well is the modelling. You can't really disable the modelling separate from the effects. Other have given you links and stuff to better units, I'd go with one of those instead. Or save up (or get a used) newer X3. More stuff in it and plus it has an input for an MP3 player so you can jam along with it. I ran it for awhile using the PODs output into the effects return of my amp. It worked ok with that setup.
Last edited by samhell at Aug 11, 2011,
The effects on my rp are great and the amp models are pretty good too. you should check those out.
What a coincidence, I just finally got rid of mine about 3 hours ago. I had it for a little over a year, I was not impressed. Very digital. I ended up selling it at a quarter of what they're going for now. Did not use it as a pre amp in front of my amp because my amp sounded better without it. I only used it in situations where my amp was too loud, so I used the headphone Jack, through the headphone jack, all models became almost unusable except clean. So i got my distortion sounds by cranking the gain on the clean model, which was actually pretty decent. I hear the HD500 is great though.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Did you have the 355?

Hm...

That's strange because I think it sounds better than all the other mfx units in it's price range.

Well, I guess everyones ears are different.

And you only sold it for a quarter of the price of a new one? Because I see them going on eBay for $150 all the time.
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 11, 2011,
^i'm talking about a Line 6 Pod 2.0, haha Not the RP 355, sorry
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Oh, that's ok, at least you were talking about the pod and not the rp. so you just sold your pod?
^Yessir, traded up for a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, GC offered me $30 for it which I refused. And the local store (which I try to support as much as possible because GC killed the previous, bigger and better incarnation of it) manager wasn't even interested in the Pod until I waved around more money/ moving some gear out of his now quite small store.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by kutless999
The effects on my rp are great and the amp models are pretty good too. you should check those out.

I dunno about the rp355 but I have the rp250 and it sounds like ass. About 34,278 times worse than the POD. Solid build quality but really bad digital sounding modelling.
Quote by samhell
I dunno about the rp355 but I have the rp250 and it sounds like ass. About 34,278 times worse than the POD. Solid build quality but really bad digital sounding modelling.
The x55 series is different from the x50 series. Also, with multifx you can't just hook them up to any random equipment and expect the same results. One unit may sound better by default than another, but completely different results can be had hooked up to something else.
Quote by fly135
The x55 series is different from the x50 series. Also, with multifx you can't just hook them up to any random equipment and expect the same results. One unit may sound better by default than another, but completely different results can be had hooked up to something else.

This

Samhell, I think the digitech sounds better than the pod.
Quote by kutless999
This

Samhell, I think the digitech sounds better than the pod.

I'm usually a Digitech fan (still have and love my 2120) but the rp250 is just awful. If the 55 series is different I might check them out and just use the 250 as a door stop or something. Its made of metal so it might work to smack someone on the head with if they try and break into my car or something
Quote by samhell
I'm usually a Digitech fan (still have and love my 2120) but the rp250 is just awful. If the 55 series is different I might check them out and just use the 250 as a door stop or something. Its made of metal so it might work to smack someone on the head with if they try and break into my car or something

Srsly, the 0 series sounds the same as the 5 series, so no difference in sound, but there are better features on the newer units.
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 15, 2011,
You guys are comparing shit to shit. The Pod 2.0's modeling is nasty, and the RP's aren't much better. Maybe I just have high standards
Quote by LaidBack
Yessir. Google the 4 cable method, or 4CM for short. Also, look into the newer HD series or the M series (M5, M9 and M13). The M series would be better for just effects.

No, the POD 2.0 can't do the 4CM.
Quote by Ignite
You guys are comparing shit to shit. The Pod 2.0's modeling is nasty, and the RP's aren't much better. Maybe I just have high standards .
Or just better luck with your HD500. The prevailing consensus out there is that the HD500 and new RP have comparable modeling quality. With the HD having some fancier FX and IMO better Fuzz stomps. But overall if you think the RP modeling is shit then your HD is pretty much in the same boat.

BTW, your profile clips sound good, so I'm not doubting your standards.
You're right, I'm not too impressed with the HD500's models at all. I mainly bought it for it's effects to use the 4CM with my amp.

And my profile is not much to go by, I have some shitty tones in there. My Soundcloud has all my best tones (not saying they're great or anything either, just better)
Quote by Ignite
You guys are comparing shit to shit. The Pod 2.0's modeling is nasty, and the RP's aren't much better. Maybe I just have high standards

No, the POD 2.0 can't do the 4CM.

Modelling in general is shit. After you've played through the "real stuff" theres no way any of this stuff will match up, no matter what the brochure says. The point is, which is less shitty? At least give me a solid turd than a runny chunky corn filled diarrhea patch. The rp250 while not completely diarrhea, can easily be described as loose stools.
Hmm.... Maybe I shouldn't try out nice amps then....
Quote by kutless999
Hmm.... Maybe I shouldn't try out nice amps then....

Not if you want to keep liking your modeling.

I used to love modeling. But all of these modeling units just don't cut it for me anymore. Really the only modeling that I like are some VSTs, like LePou's stuff, and Revalver. Then there's the AxeFX which I'd actually take over a lot of tube amps.

I mean, they're digital. They don't have the response, the dynamics, and the live cab sound that a real amp has. And it's going to take a lot before it sounds like a real mic'd amp. Most modeling units barely respond to pickups changes also.

Cheap modeling unites (<$500) are really just for bedroom and people playing some gigs, like if they want to use the 4CM or run direct through PA. They're not professional and nobody would ever record an album with them. (Of course Line 6 says their X3 series was used in many professional recordings but I'm not sure how)

I feel like I'm being too negative though. My HD500 sounds really good through a power amp and cab. The cabinet modeling just sucks.
How much better sounding are real amps than modeling amps? I mean, I listen to a jcm800 on YouTube and it sounds good, but I wouldn't want to spend that much just because ts only a little better sounding than the modeled version. I know YouTube doesn't have the best sound quality and all but... I'm probably wrong, because I really haven't heard a good amp in person, only on the Internet. I really like the sound of the axe fx 2 though. I think it sounds just as good as the real amps. I probably wouldn't really need a nice amp because I play through headphones most of the time. I'd probably get one if I was going to be gigging(which I might be in a year or so ). I don't know, I'll find out for myself when I go to gc.
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 15, 2011,
Playing through a real amp, and then playing a model of it is completely different experience. But obviously it depends on the modeler. (and if models were in fact models, why does every one sound so fucking different?) Ola Englund has got his AxeFX sounding VERY similar to a 5150. But it still really depends on what kind of impulse/cab modeling you use. You can get the most realistic model and run it through a crappy impulse and it sound shit.

And that's one thing I hate about modeling. Contrary to what people say, you're very limited. You have a set amount of options. With a real amp and mic setup, you have a lot more control over your sound.
Quote by Ignite
NO, you can't run the Pod 2.0 through your effects loop. There isn't an option to turn off the modeling.

I believe I DID answer that

Quote by kutless999
How much better sounding are real amps than modeling amps? I mean, I listen to a jcm800 on YouTube and it sounds good, but I wouldn't want to spend that much just because ts only a little better sounding than the modeled version. I know YouTube doesn't have the best sound quality and all but... I'm probably wrong, because I really haven't heard a good amp in person, only on the Internet. I really like the sound of the axe fx 2 though. I think it sounds just as good as the real amps. I probably wouldn't really need a nice amp because I play through headphones most of the time. I'd probably get one if I was going to be gigging(which I might be in a year or so ). I don't know, I'll find out for myself when I go to gc.

If you just play through headphones you won't notice anything. Modellers are fine for that. But when you plug into a real amp it is a whole experiences. The dynamics in your picking, even the volume and tone controls on your guitar actually make a difference. One thing I really noticed is simply playing the G string. On a decent tube amp you can just adjust your pick attack and you can hear all the different sounds. With something like a POD it just sounds the same but at higher/lower volume. I'm not ripping on modelers entirely, they have their place and I own a pile of them... but anyone who tries to compare them to real amps is just wrong for the most part. They may "sound similar" but they do not "play the same".
Last edited by samhell at Aug 16, 2011,
The rp355 responds to my volume and tone knob very well, actually.
Quote by kutless999
The rp355 responds to my volume and tone knob very well, actually.

Yeah thats what you think now, but just wait until you play some real amps...
Pod 2.0 cannot be run through FX Loop.

Quote by samhell

+1

No MFX unit can recreate the even and odd order harmonics like a tube amp circuit can.
TS, with a HH IC100 you probably have no reason to use the FX loop and i'm not 100% sure that it actually has one - i think those jacks you might be thinking of using might be meant for stereo connections - just run the amp clean, it's very very loud, with a lot of headroom, and a very dry, transparent clean sound - so there's not really any advantage to using the FX loop, unless you're using distortion on the amp - but why would you use that?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by samhell

Well, it's good enough for now.
Quote by kutless999
Well, it's good enough for now.
And that's what's important. I've got literally a stack of tube amps at home and still use multifx and pedals. Whatever speaks to your creative spirit trumps everything else. And if it's a multifx then so be it.
Quote by fly135
And that's what's important. I've got literally a stack of tube amps at home and still use multifx and pedals. Whatever speaks to your creative spirit trumps everything else. And if it's a multifx then so be it.

Thanks
Quote by fly135

Can't argue with that