Hi,
I ordered and emg 85 and an 81 and they arrive today and it turns out i have an emg 85 and an 89. So my question is should i contact them and return the 89 and get an 81 or keep it? Which setup would be better?
When the 89 is in humbucker mode it sounds like an 85. So you basicly have 2 85s, one of which can be split. Personaly I like the 81 and I would contact them and get the pickup I ordered. You could also keep the 89 and see about trading the 85 for an 81. That way you'd have more tonal options.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
When the 89 is in humbucker mode it sounds like an 85. So you basicly have 2 85s, one of which can be split. Personaly I like the 81 and I would contact them and get the pickup I ordered. You could also keep the 89 and see about trading the 85 for an 81. That way you'd have more tonal options.

This. The 89 is a better pickup, it would be a downgrade to trade it for an 85. If you can get the 81 for the 85, you'd be set. Personally, I'd try the 85 in the bridge and see if I liked it. A lot of people prefer the 85 in the bridge position.