hi, i was thinking of getting a custom made neck for my strat with 22 frets and a super thin c shape neck because my hands are quite small and i like to play with thumb on top.

however, after trying an ibanez i realised that their necks are really really good but the problem is their tremolos seem to be very sensitive.

i like to bend the higher strings whilst having the bass notes on guitar ringing open (ala blues) but on guitars with a sensitive tremolo all the strings get pulled a bit when bending strings so the open bass notes go out of tune if bending notes on lower strings.

is there a way to make them as firm as a strat's or any that come with basic strat type tremolos?

i hope that makes sense and thanks for any advice
Simple, you block it and then tighten the spring clamp, possibly even adding another spring.
oh wow thanks for the really fast reply.

that sounds cool, can this be done with most flashy whammy bars and i'll still be able to have a wee bit of float to it so i can bend a semitone up and semitone down?
You're talking Floyd Rose-style trems, right?

Unless you block it halfway so you can't whammy bend up, then your spring tension will need to equal your string tension or it won't stay in tune at all.

Does your Strat already have 22 frets? If not, you might need a new pick guard to accomodate the fretboard overhang. Not sure if the cutaway is deeper on the 22 fret Strats than the 21 fret Strats or not. If so then fret access might be a little bit of an issue.
Quote by Campestral
oh wow thanks for the really fast reply.

that sounds cool, can this be done with most flashy whammy bars and i'll still be able to have a wee bit of float to it so i can bend a semitone up and semitone down?

The only way to do that and have it be more stiff is to use heavier strings and apply more spring tension to counter it. This will make it more stiff, but it will still give a little when you do bends. But that's the only way to do pull ups on a tremolo.

You could look into these. It's a pedal that allows you to do pull ups and dive bombs. I think Buckethead uses this one. I'd love to have one, but I already have a Boss ME70 that does the same thing.

Here's a video of it in action.
hi guys, thanks again for replying. i don't want a new tremolo for my strat jetwash69, i was thinking of getting a new neck but now i think i might just get an ibanez and forget about a new neck for my strat. but i don't think ibanez or anyone else who makes similar sized slim necks have strat style tremolos.

w4rp1g i think you did that shop a favour as all of those are now sold out heh. thanks for the video link but i don't think i could use one of those as i like the actual feel of bending and that pedal seems more for super duper bend effects.

btw i have a gt6 but i don't know how to use it, does that have that facility too?
Trems like the Edge Zeroes and ZRs have stabilizers so they don't move when you bend. The only time the bridge moves is when you use the bar. Those are double locking trems but if you're specifically looking for something with a strat-like trem, look into the SV5470F.
Quote by Campestral
hi guys, thanks again for replying. i don't want a new tremolo for my strat jetwash69, i was thinking of getting a new neck but now i think i might just get an ibanez and forget about a new neck for my strat. but i don't think ibanez or anyone else who makes similar sized slim necks have strat style tremolos.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=27870405
w4rp1g i think you did that shop a favour as all of those are now sold out heh. thanks for the video link but i don't think i could use one of those as i like the actual feel of bending and that pedal seems more for super duper bend effects.

btw i have a gt6 but i don't know how to use it, does that have that facility too?

Ibanez makes a strat style trem, but the only guitar I've seen it on is a Gio, and I don't know if they have a super thin neck.

Yeah, it looks like your GT6 can do that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLUNrMZlcgM

Here's a video of buckethead and the pedal in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-woe3SCAaA&feature=related
Quote by JELIFISH19
Trems like the Edge Zeroes and ZRs have stabilizers so they don't move when you bend. The only time the bridge moves is when you use the bar. Those are double locking trems but if you're specifically looking for something with a strat-like trem, look into the SV5470F.

Oh yeah I forgot about the ZPS stabilizer on the ZR trems. It's a great trem, and it should stop it from moving when you bend. If you don't want the locking nut, the SV5470F has locking tuners and looks like a strat trem, but it's floating with the ZPS for stability. It's expensive though.

If you want a cheaper guitar with a great trem and the ZPS system, look for an Ibanez S470. You can find them used for around $300, it's a solid guitar, neck-thru, has the ZR ZPS trem, but would probably need a pickup upgrade.
hi jelifish19, thanks for the heads up regarding those stable tremolos. the SV5470F is a thing of beauty but it's waaaayyyy out of my price league. thanks for mentioning it though, was worth just seeing it heh.

hi w4rp1g, thanks for the gt6 info and the links. jeez i thought that guy on youtube was on crack, he's saying the pedal bend makes it sound like he's playing fast and his right hand is moving at the speed of light, i think he's drinking 4! 122 videos and i bet he made them all in one day :p

that buckethead riff is amazing, how do you know he's playing a gt6 or were you just linking to an example of someone using the pedal bend effect? what is it he's doing with his right hand btw during the main riff? and he doesn't even need a whammy bar! tsk tsk

i like the look of the s470 thanks it's very pretty, that is more in my price range which will be around £300 ($400).

is the tremolo on this (edge III) as good as the s470?

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-NE15JE1234

thanks again guys for your help, i appreciate it
Quote by Campestral
hi jelifish19, thanks for the heads up regarding those stable tremolos. the SV5470F is a thing of beauty but it's waaaayyyy out of my price league. thanks for mentioning it though, was worth just seeing it heh.

hi w4rp1g, thanks for the gt6 info and the links. jeez i thought that guy on youtube was on crack, he's saying the pedal bend makes it sound like he's playing fast and his right hand is moving at the speed of light, i think he's drinking 4! 122 videos and i bet he made them all in one day :p

that buckethead riff is amazing, how do you know he's playing a gt6 or were you just linking to an example of someone using the pedal bend effect? what is it he's doing with his right hand btw during the main riff? and he doesn't even need a whammy bar! tsk tsk

i like the look of the s470 thanks it's very pretty, that is more in my price range which will be around £300 ($400).

is the tremolo on this (edge III) as good as the s470?

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-NE15JE1234

thanks again guys for your help, i appreciate it

Yeah that guy was pretty cracked out. The vid of Buckethead was just an example of pitch bending in a song. He uses a killswitch with his right hand. If you ever want to try out a kill switch, you can get a replacement tone pot called a Killpot, but I don't know if it's available in Europe. It's a great way to add a kill switch without modifying the guitar for switch hole.

The guitar in that link you posted has an Edge Zero II with ZPS. I hear it's better than
the Edge III, but that's not a hard thing to do, the Edge III is awful. Personally, I would take the ZR over a cheap Edge any day, it's a solid tremolo and it can't wear out and lose it's tuning stability like a cheap knife edge can.
ok cool, i'll try for the ZR or the EZII with ZPS secondly, and will definitely dodge the edge III, thanks for the great advice guys.

i will also look into the killpot as it sounds quite cool and easy enough to install hopefully, thanks again
+3 ZRII on the Ibanez S series with the Zero Point System. It has the Wizard II neck which you like.